GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,172
3 members and 2,169 guests
oncegreek, Xidelt, Zae_TheCreator

Old 12-22-2011, 12:21 PM

OK, I have to say it. The stick up Dominique's ass has a stick up its ass.

I'm talking not just about her attitude throughout the show ("ZOMG, so-and-so had more than one glass of wine!"), but also specifically about her reaction when she found out what an Ann Summers party was. You would think she was being asked to demonstrate how to use the products in front of the entire sorority and on camera.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-22-2011, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
OK, I have to say it. The stick up Dominique's ass has a stick up its ass.

I'm talking not just about her attitude throughout the show ("ZOMG, so-and-so had more than one glass of wine!"), but also specifically about her reaction when she found out what an Ann Summers party was. You would think she was being asked to demonstrate how to use the products in front of the entire sorority and on camera.
Agreed. The question was something like "what would you plan for a night with your sisters?". That's very different from "what would you plan for a uni-wide philanthropy event that tons of people outside the chapter would know about?"

I felt so bad for Maxine, because you could see how personally she took the rejection of her rush crush (as often happens in real life), and I thought it was extremely petty of Dominique to not look past one minor wrongish answer.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Agreed. The question was something like "what would you plan for a night with your sisters?". That's very different from "what would you plan for a uni-wide philanthropy event that tons of people outside the chapter would know about?"

I felt so bad for Maxine, because you could see how personally she took the rejection of her rush crush (as often happens in real life), and I thought it was extremely petty of Dominique to not look past one minor wrongish answer.
I know! I felt so sorry for Maxine. She is my favorite of the "pledges" because she seems so genuine. She's athletic too so that would help during Greek Week. So you might say she's my rush crush.

Anyone else here who is watching have a rush crush too?
Old 12-22-2011, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm shocked that Katie didn't get booted off, I think she's a brat.

My rush crush is Sophie, I hope she makes the final five!!
Old 12-22-2011, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

So, after not watching this for awhile (the hazing carried out by women from NPC sororities was upsetting), I spent my afternoon catching up. Urgh.

As someone who's seen societies in UK universities, I completely agree with kobie earlier. There are a lot of societies here that are essentially sororities or fraternities, just no Greek letters. In St Andrews, there are the Kate Kennedy Club (for men) and the Lumsden Club (for ladies), and they have recruitment, socials, host balls, philanthropy events, and so forth. They have their own silly traditions, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were intiations of some sort (St Andrews itself has a sort-of-initiation for all freshers/new students called Raisin Monday, it's pretty insane).

The fact that this show is so full of stereotypes - and really not a lot of positive ones - when in reality, British uni students aren't that far removed from what sororities and fraternities actually do, just makes it look more and more of a farce, and paints greek life in an increasingly unflattering light. Who knows, though: maybe the winning "sisters" will take their £25,000 and do something good with it, instead of propagating the rubbish the producers have spewed at them through the American "sisters". :P
Old 12-27-2011, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Tulip,

Would you be willing to post the last video, please? I'd be so grateful! I can't get it to come up.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my friends in the UK told me who the initiated girls are (don't worry, no spoilers here!), and I think it *might* have a shot (depending on about a thousand different factors)

ETA: (didn't realise hat the whole post didn't go through) If the £25,000 is used to run the sorority, no split up between the girls as a "prize", and if there are real rituals that they have that do not consist of hazing, it might actually have a shot. It *does* seem like the new members are really bonding.

Last edited by ColdInCanada11; 12-28-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Tulip,

Would you be willing to post the last video, please? I'd be so grateful! I can't get it to come up.
I've been trying to find it, hasn't been posted yet! I'll post it as soon as I find it
Old 12-27-2011, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Final episode link:
http://www.tv-links.eu/tv-shows/Soro...n_1/episode_8/
Old 12-28-2011, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
A coffin, a pillow fight, and a bucket of black balls? Are there any urban legends they missed?

I have some other thoughts on the final pledges, so you guys let me know when I can start spoiling the final episode.

Last edited by DeltaBetaBaby; 12-28-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
A coffin, a pillow fight, and a bucket of black balls? Are there any urban legends they missed?
I've never heard of a black ball myth, is it common?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
You didn't mention their list of famous sorority alumnae. They forgot Reese Witherspoon!
Old 12-28-2011, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, what a secret handshake ... so secret that you basically show it uncovered filmed. While I am sure no one really cares, someone could possibly look at it closely if they really had the balls to.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's the direct link:

http://www.novamov.com/video/g9z3mmn4qp8bb
Old 12-28-2011, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdInCanada11 View Post
Quote:
I've never heard of a black ball myth, is it common?
In some fraternities at least, black balls are indeed still used.