GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,465
0 members and 1,465 guests
No Members online

Old 05-27-2010, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPNM13 View Post
Though I do have my heart set on this sorority, I have definitely planned to go through recruitment with an open mind.
Kind of hard to be open minded when your heart is set, isn't it?

As for deleting the thread, you can't. You can ask a moderator to do it, but it'll be up to them whether to do it or not.

Good luck.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-27-2010, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
You really don't know how things work down here. Just leave it at that.
If a chapter is so homophobic as to not allow a member to bring her girlfriend, they wouldn't offer her a bid in the first place.

Not like this is relevant in this specific situation, because if UT is indeed the school in question, she's not likely to get a bid because of her age and lack of recs, regardless of her sexual orientation.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
If a chapter is so homophobic as to not allow a member to bring her girlfriend, they wouldn't offer her a bid in the first place.

Not like this is relevant in this specific situation, because if UT is indeed the school in question, she's not likely to get a bid because of her age and lack of recs, regardless of her sexual orientation.
Which is exactly what I said in the first place. Her being a lesbian is much further down the list of her recruitment "liabilities."

Not everyone is open to having gay couples at their formals. I would think that would be something an out lesbian would want to find out during recruitment because I hardly think she'd want a bid from a chapter that were less than welcoming to that.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

HAHAHAHAHAHHH
This is precisely why I'm a member of greek chat. Daily amusement.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbt1990 View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHHH
This is precisely why I'm a member of greek chat. Daily amusement.
This one doesn't seem like a troll. Trolls create much more drama.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

It's still pretty damn funny, troll or not!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

@MysticCat: I would really like to stress that I was not trying to be presumptuous nor close-minded about recruitment. It's just how I make all my decisions: Learn more, decide, but be open to changing my mind. I'm okay with the thread staying open; I'm sure the topic will tire itself in a few days.

@LadyLonghorn: I'm not a Longhorn. If I chose to rush, I would probaly have the most difficulty because of recs and class standing, I'm sure.

You guys, I truly apologize for the word vom. I clearly need to be more precise with my wording and def should have filtered myself before going all Pollyanna on GC.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I'm glad I was able to entertain some of you for a bit.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

@LadyLonghorn: *probably
Old 05-27-2010, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

texaspnm... best of luck with whatever you decide! Just be sure if you do decide to rush, find a way to get those recs.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck with your recruitment and finding a home with one of the great sororities that are on your campus.

I applaud who you are and the way you are handling yourself. There was a girl in a sorority on my campus about 10 years ago that came out as a lesbian when she was either a 2nd semester junior or a 1st semester senior, I can't remember which. And some of her sisters felt a little betrayed by her trying to keep who she was hidden in order to do what she thought was necessary to "fit in". I'm just glad you seem to be going about this the right way.

Just please be open to every group. Look at every group equally in the beginning. And get your recs in order. Otherwise, good luck!
Old 05-28-2010, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
I'll just add this... I know a LOT of lesbian and gay men, family, friends, former co-workers and classmates... I have never heard one of them refer to themselves as "queer," unless they are joking around. Maybe things are different in Texas...

Lovely Kappa ladies... enjoy! :-)
my gay guy friends call themselves queers, fags, you name it. Probably a northern thing.

Anyway, I agree with all the other posters. You cannot base what you want your membership to be on unless you've seen the chapter and you sound older so being in the South you might have a disadvantage.

Good luck.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe it's because I grew up with my mom referring to my friends as my "girlfriends" but, if I had a PNM come through and comment about she and her girlfriend seeing a movie, or anything about her girlfriend, I would probably not think twice about it. I would probably think she meant her "best friend" or something.

To be honest, your sexuality shouldn't be the only thing that defines you. Good luck with recruitment and please keep an open mind.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I am going to say it -

Your chances of getting a bid as a known lesbian, let alone functioning as an open lesbian (taking your girlfriend to formal, etc) are slim to none.

You're talking Texas, traditional, red-state, traditional, stereotypical Greek life. Ain't happening...
Old 05-11-2011, 03:15 AM
GreekChat Member

None of the sororities at my university allow sisters to take other women as dates to functions. This is not that uncommon.

PS- A PNM who spouts off facts about a sorority to its sisters is annoying. Through our mutual selection process you will end up where you are supposed to be: in Kappa, in another house, or in no house at all. Those women receiving bids will learn many many many Kappa facts. Showing that you have done your research will not increase your chances of receiving a bid, especially if it appears that you are fixated on knowing the facts and not the sisters.