GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,201
0 members and 2,201 guests
No Members online

Old 04-17-2012, 07:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Need Great IceBreakers for Socials

hey, i'm the social chair for my sorority and we've have a rough year so far in the social dept. and our old social chair got re-slated because she didn't do her job well. i'm trying to keep morale high and need themes for our upcoming socials.

everyone is excited for our next social because it's "fratalina wine mixer" which is basically a tie party.

my house seems to respond to interactive/unique ideas not just "hawaiian" or "western"! if anyone can help that'd be great...

p.s. please don't give me a link to another thread, because i've probably read it!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-17-2012, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

So by icebreakers, I'm assuming you mean "getting to know you" sort of activities. Here are a few that have worked well for my chapter. Speed dating: line everyone up in two circles, and have them ask each other whatever kind of getting to know you questions you want, then rotate every minute. Beach ball: get a big beach ball and write a bunch of questions on it, then get everyone in a circle. Throw it to someone, and whatever question their right pinky lands on is the question they answer, then they pass it to someone else etc.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

My chapter's favorite get to know you game is called "I Love My Sisters Who......" So we stand in a circle and someone stands in the middle and says "I love my sisters who (and then say something about themselves that is true)" then everyone in the circle who that is also true for runs to a different spot (at least 2 spots away from where they were standing). The last person without a spot goes in the middle.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:32 PM

beesknees, please clarify.

Do you want:
a) icebreakers to help your sisters to get to know each other; OR
b) icebreakers to help sorority members and fraternity members start conversation at mixers?

I thought you were asking for b, but it seems you are being given a.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I planned a $5 Prom as my last event as Social Chair last semester. It went extremely well!

All of the Big and Little Brothers/Sisters got clues in a bag of confetti to find their new Bigs/Littles. Once they found them, they had to take a picture in front of the tacky prom backdrop. Then, they had to create a special dance together from whatever decade we gave them. After that, we had a dance off with music playing from each decade so everyone could show off their 'skills.' After that, we played a game that we call "wah" to determine Prom King and Queen and they had a final dance.

Everyone said it was a blast and a lot of people got to know each other a lot better.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

We do a sticker social when we want to get to know other organizations better so each organization will get a row of colored stickers (like the sheets of stars that come in 5 colors) and each color will be given a meaning (we do dateable, most bro, virgin etc) and so do they. The meanings are kept secret til midnight and then they are revealed but it's an easy way to go up to someone and start conversation

We also have done color wars or olympics where there are assigned teams with equal amounts of each organization and you compete as a team in games throughout the night.

Last edited by hiller09; 04-19-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: adding more!