GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,259
3 members and 2,256 guests
aaidativanovoz6, Sen's Revenge

Old 04-30-2004, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
Rush Pamphlet

IFC at my school has decided to update the fraternity 'pamphlet' that they give to all the incoming freshman. The first time it's been updated in like 10 years or so. It's about time b/c there have been quite a few changes..

Anyway, one thing they are putting in is pledge/brother's dues. I'm on IFC and I noted some of the $$ that chapters are putting down...and it's totally false. I mean, they are subtracting hundreds of dollars from pledge dues so the number is much lower than it actually is.

I just hope that the people putting this thing together actually check into the prices b/c there are going to be a lot of pissed off pledges when they find out that they were lied to and now are stuck pledging that frat.

On the other hand, a rushee that basises his choice on the amt of money is probably not going to be the best quality.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-30-2004, 08:19 PM
Banned

Re: Rush Pamphlet

Quote:
Originally posted by Coramoor
IFC at my school has decided to update the fraternity 'pamphlet' that they give to all the incoming freshman. The first time it's been updated in like 10 years or so. It's about time b/c there have been quite a few changes..

Anyway, one thing they are putting in is pledge/brother's dues. I'm on IFC and I noted some of the $$ that chapters are putting down...and it's totally false. I mean, they are subtracting hundreds of dollars from pledge dues so the number is much lower than it actually is.

I just hope that the people putting this thing together actually check into the prices b/c there are going to be a lot of pissed off pledges when they find out that they were lied to and now are stuck pledging that frat.

On the other hand, a rushee that basises his choice on the amt of money is probably not going to be the best quality.
Why are you putting money down?? I've never heard anyone just advertise that freely and openly. We answer if someone asks but we don't tell people we're the most expensive or the cheapest fraternity.

And if you're creating an IFC pamphlet, there should be very specific descriptions about dues to say whether they should include pledge fees as well. I've seen people fudge numbers on membership but not on dues.

-Rudey
Old 04-30-2004, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I think my alma mater is planning on creating a recruitment booklet to send out over the summer. I think putting something in their about dues is a good thing. It gives the PNM's a heads up about costs (our initiation fee is due 4 weeks before initiation....which means that you pay it about 4 weeks after you join, give or take a few weeks depending on the campus). I've seen quite a few women who aren't prepared to pay all of their money up front. So if they're late on paying it, it starts throwing everything behind.

If people aren't comfortable putting in the exact amount, mention a range from highest dues to lowest dues/fees/whatever is required for that campus. That way, the PNM would have an idea of at least how much they need to have ready at the start of school, and the PNM can ask specifics if they want.

And for the chapters lying about how much their dues/fees really are...well...that will just come back to bite them in the butt. They'll either get PNMs that won't initiate because they can't pay (which messes up retention rates) or they'll mess up their chapter finances. (Course, if I were Greek Adviser and I got a whiff of people lying about dues, I'd find out the info myself!)

PsychTau
Old 05-01-2004, 02:49 AM
GreekChat Member

They will lose pledges if they find out they owe them a lot more money than they thought they would... hopefully it's just wrong because it's so old and it will be changed when they update.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:48 AM
Unregistered-

I suppose disclosing finances could either be a bad thing or it wouldn't even matter at all, depending on what kind of Greek campus you're at.

I've seen some IFC/PHC sites online that inform PNM/rushees of the different costs, so everything's pretty much public knowledge. But then again these sites were for campuses that have a reputation for having a strong Greek Life, so everyone wants to go Greek there.

There's a special time during our Recruitment events where we go into detail about cost and dues, and the different options are then presented so the girls won't go into shock.

I think Rush Pamphlets are a great idea...only if its contents are true.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Our Sororities Do It

Well following my position as recruitment coordinator at my school, our recruitment booklet does publish dues information. These are not our summer interest brochures though, this is the bible for recruitment for these women.

We do have some groups that have a range of fees based on which badge you want. Most of the groups are near each other though.

Besides, for the women's groups, a group that may cost more, may be because everything is included for that cost including formal and their date. Another group, which is lower, may then make members pay out of pocket for things.

We do stress to the women to ask and make sure they know the information from the sisters.

I dont know about the men's groups through.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
Why would you NOT want to disclose to your PMNs what the financial obligation is? They should not have to ask. That should be an expected topic of discussion. Maybe it isn't a big deal for fraternity new members to quit prior to initiation but it IS a big deal for sororities to have someone take a spot in your quota and then depledge a week later when she gets the bill. That is a preventable situation. Not everyone can afford to join a GLO and there is no shame in that. The shame is deceiving PMNs with false information or no information.

The issue with publishing financial data in a Panhellenic booklet is that it can be comparing apples and oranges. Some groups include their badge in the initiation fees, some do not. Some groups include ALL social events within their social dues, some do not. Some groups require non-residents to buy some meals, some do not. The person putting together the booklet needs to be very precise and very specific and perhaps talk to several chapter officers, not just the recruitment chair. Is this a chapter that expects members to bring their checkbook to every meeting? Is that why it's so much cheaper than everyone else?