GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,092
1 members and 2,091 guests
indygphib

Old 11-03-2015, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Rushing while a pledge/leaving house

Long story short:
-Picked a house were I seemingly got along with the guys
-Ended up not being as it seemed, strong lack of organization, lack of reputation, lack of pledge duties, etc.
-No longer want to be in the frat

Can I still rush while being a pledge? Or do I need to drop the house first? Would I still be able to drop the house after i-week?
Old 11-03-2015, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

You want to pass yourself off as an available rushee while you really aren't? You know that's lying. No,do not do that. And you would have to check the rules of the org that you want to join to see if they will take someone who initiated somewhere else. Odds are not.

You probably don't need to be in a fraternity if this is how un-gentlemanly you are.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:21 PM

If you don't like the chapter (please don't call it a house unless you really mean you dislike the physical structure) then drop out before I-week whether you rush somewhere else or not.

You need to drop your current fraternity before you rush another one.

I'm going to hope this is due to simple ignorance and not being a jerk.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prob View Post
Can I still rush while being a pledge? Or do I need to drop the house first? Would I still be able to drop the house after i-week?
Think about it this way... should I date and marry a girl while I am still married to my first wife?

No.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prob View Post
lack of pledge duties, etc.
You are upset that you aren't being hazed? (That's what "pledge duties" has been code for at the schools I've worked with.)

It sounds like you have no concept of what being in a fraternity is actually about. I suggest you get off the internet (especially TFM or whatever sites you are using to base your evaluation from) and get to know your brothers a bit better.

Try to contribute instead of complaining.

And do some serious thinking about what you want to gain from a fraternity versus what you have to contribute. Those lists should be even. If they aren't, I doubt your next experience (if you are so lucky to get one - either in your current group or another who is benevolent enough to give you a chance) is going to be any better.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

prob, I'm guessing that when you became a pledge, you actually took a pledge. You need to be released from that pledge before you rush elsewhere.

If you go ahead and are initiated into this fraternity, then you have likely made your choice. No other fraternity, at least if they're playing at all by the rules, will consider you while you are a member of the first fraternity. If the first fraternity will release you completely from membership, then there is a chance that another fraternity would consider you. The odds are not in your favor on that one—especially if you appear to be treating the pledge you've already taken as meaningless by rushing while still bound to the first fraternity.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:46 AM
GreekChat Member

The fact that you're using words like "house" instead of chapter or fraternity, and "guys" instead of brothers, and "frat" instead of fraternity seems a bit odd.

But in response to your concern, you can't just hop from one fraternity to the next until you find one you like. It doesn't work that way. "Lack of reputation"?? - I'm not even sure what this means, but it sounds like you're partly to blame for not making a more thoughtful decision.

I'd encourage you to speak with someone in the IFC office on campus. What you should be discussing and deciding is if joining a fraternity is really for you; it might not be.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWguy View Post
The fact that you're using words like "house" instead of chapter or fraternity, and "guys" instead of brothers, and "frat" instead of fraternity seems a bit odd.
On some campuses, "house" and "frat" wouldn't be odd at all. And the OP is someone who isn't a member yet, so he probably shouldn't be expected to know preferred lingo.