GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,381
0 members and 2,381 guests
No Members online

Old 09-24-2010, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Purdue Greeks and Co-ops go dry after incidents

http://www.jconline.com/article/2010...fter-incidents

Apparently there were some pretty serious alcohol related issues on campus over the last couple weekends so they have agreed to a moratorium on drinking for the moment.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-24-2010, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for sharing this; I've passed it along.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-24-2010, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

If you read the article carefully, you'll see that none of the serious events were Greek organization related.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I did, and I find it intriguing that the Greek and Coop communities are taking the lead in this moratorium. I am not familiar with the Purdue campus culture but I am very familiar with the University of Arizona. I for one would like to see less emphasis on alcohol at most events, if for no other reason than that the majority of the chapter members are not of legal age to drink alcohol.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-25-2010, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I am an middle-aged Boilermaker and I feel that this is a step in the right direction. Back in my day the Greeks controlled the campus social scene. Basically if you wanted to party you went to a fraternity. Apartment parties will now become the place for underage drinking.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrianglepi View Post
I am an middle-aged Boilermaker and I feel that this is a step in the right direction. Back in my day the Greeks controlled the campus social scene. Basically if you wanted to party you went to a fraternity. Apartment parties will now become the place for underage drinking.
In a way, it might be easier to manage/police these events. Smaller parties are easier to control in some ways. The location is usually smaller, there are clear "hosts" and persons responsible (versus an "entity" like an entire fraternity getting blamed for the actions of a few), and it will force people to be more discriminating in who they invite and allow in.

The "cons" are that apartments off-campus might be further than the typical fraternity house so more people are driving, that individuals can be held responsible should things get out of control (and if they are underage or their parents are on the lease, their parents can be liable for problems), and that there are usually too many people in small place with only one or two exits (fire hazard).

The bottom line, is that kids are going to drink, but I think that it's a great step that Greek and similar entities are taking themselves out of that equation.