GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,828
2 members and 2,826 guests
Cookiez17, MethrenLusia

Old 03-31-2008, 11:52 AM

On campus housing

Ok, say you have a house or dorm suite that is on the campus and for whatever reason, you can't fill it. Can the housing office at the college/university stick whoever in there to fill it without your OK?
Old 03-31-2008, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
I recall that being the deal at Penn State. Each sorority had one or two floors designated, if any rooms were not filled with members, the university would assign students to them like any other dorm room.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:20 PM

Ok, I may be wrong but I have heard, at least on my campus, of women that were not members of a sorority living in a sorority house on campus. The houses on our campus are dorms owned by the university so I think theoretically they can fill those spots if need be.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Depends on the contract that the sorority signs but yes, that is the way it goes sometimes. It's usuallly found in a specific clause or in the fine print.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

That was never the case at my school.

If for some reason there was an empty bed, the chapter was responsible for paying the university for it. The bed rate was the same as for a comparable on-campus room, since the design was exactly the same. Each house had 35 beds, but most chapters had about 15 officer position that required living in the house. Chapter size was 100-130.

Going into my junior year the sister that I was supposed to room with had to transfer at the very last minute (as in the week before school started) due to family health issues. At that late of date, everyone was already assigned housing, either on or off campus, and so the chapter just covered the cost of her bed. And I got a single! Yea, me!

Some of the fraternities struggled with keeping their beds filled, too. Since the university owned the housing, they had a no-alcohol rule that was not too popular! Again, if the chapter did not have enough willing participants, they just covered the cost.

There was also a chapter that struggled with numbers (chapter size about 40). My sophomore year, they did not have enough members to fill the house. That was a huge financial hit for that chapter, and they shut down that year.

Of course, this was all back in the early 90s, but I don't think things have changed.