GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,107
0 members and 2,107 guests
No Members online

Old 03-07-2007, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

AI and 2nd degree question

I was reading some old threads and somethings sparked curiosity... what is AI?

Last edited by indiemusic86; 09-07-2007 at 01:17 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-07-2007, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

No, you can go through rush after your first year. At some campuses though it's easiest to get a bid if you rush during your first year.

AI is alumna initiation for women who the sorority wants to let in after college. Usually these are people who do a lot of work and service for the group. Some times it's moms of women in the sorority, etc. It's invitation only, I think, for all the groups, so even if you got info. it wouldn't do you much good unless you were asked to join.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

oh ok. my friend was part of my schools 'extensions program'. so he took classes at the extension center/on campus. he started rushing this frat.... then the guys found out he didnt go to that school (but he was part of our schools extension and was a full time student). How come he was unable to rush when he was a full time student for our school (well kinda our school)?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I really don't know; maybe it wasn't considered the same campus. Are you sure he officially wasn't allowed or did the guys just not want him?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiemusic86 View Post
oh ok. my friend was part of my schools 'extensions program'. so he took classes at the extension center/on campus. he started rushing this frat.... then the guys found out he didnt go to that school (but he was part of our schools extension and was a full time student). How come he was unable to rush when he was a full time student for our school (well kinda our school)?
That's a question you'd ask the fraternity he was rushing, not us.

Each organization has their own requirements regarding enrollment and matriculation.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

that makes sense... thanks guys!
Old 03-08-2007, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was reading some old threads and somethings sparked curiosity...

I read in a thread that you can only rush panhellenic during your first undergrad year. Is this true? if so, how come?
Some schools that have a history of a more competitive sorority recruitment (namely in the South) place greater preference on recruiting freshmen than uppeclassmen. At other schools, the distinction is not so great and sophomores, juniors and seniors have just as much of a shot as the freshmen, particularly in the northeastern schools and some on the west coast or midwest. However, to be in an NPC sorority, you must not already have a bachelor's degree-- if you have graduated and are working on your second bachelor's or a master's you are not eligible to join most sororities, as their purpose is to guide undergraduate members.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
However, to be in an NPC sorority, you must not already have a bachelor's degree-- if you have graduated and are working on your second bachelor's or a master's you are not eligible to join most sororities, as their purpose is to guide undergraduate members.
Some NPC groups do accept grad students as members, or women working on their 2nd bachelor's.

However, just because they CAN does not mean they WILL.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

how do you know what chapters do it and what chapters don't?
Old 03-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
how do you know what chapters do it and what chapters don't?
You can find out which NPC groups allow graduate students as collegiate members by contacting the appropriate HQ. There are 26 NPC HQs.

As far as which chapters do and don't, I'm thinking that that kind of information falls under membership selection, which is kept private for members only.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
That's a question you'd ask the fraternity he was rushing, not us.

Each organization has their own requirements regarding enrollment and matriculation.
And some schools have different rules/regulations regarding Greek life and recruitment. IE, on my campus, Freshman can't rush until Spring Semester. [I think that's a common idea among a lot of other schools.] A friend of mine who goes to a different school is in a sorority and they do formal recruitment the first week of school.