GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,196
1 members and 1,195 guests
3DGator

Old 02-14-2007, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Chances are, it probably already happened.

I know of at least 3 NPC VP-Extensions who read GC daily.
If someone has already been called, it is perfectly fine. I honestly feel like we have nothing to hide.

Oh, and I think I'd like a dappled mare. I would definitely ride it to class.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It's not like I'm going to call the App State Panhel reps and promise them a pony if they vote it down.
I <3
Sheila

Seriously...our org could be one chosen to present (doubtful, due to lack of presence in the area, but it COULD happen), why would we blow a chance at possible expansion???
Old 02-14-2007, 04:04 PM

I think the confusion came from wondering why an official meeting was being sponsored by the Greek advisor(s) when it wasn't clear what exactly the meeting was for. If it was a meeting to let everyone know there was an interest group and for the whole Greek community to ask questions about the official extension process...that's fine and what should be happening.

However, it came across as though the Greek advisors were presenting this interest group as having the "stamp of approval" and holding a meeting partly to help them recruit new members when it wasn't clear if the CPC had voted to open for expansion or not.

There were other posts - since deleted - that confirmed this latter view.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, thank you for the clarification 33girl. It is indeed a meeting to let everyone know there is an interest group, and it is intended for the whole Greek community (as well as non-affiliated girls) to come and ask questions.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Because as I said, in the same post you're quoting, that it sounds FISHY.

Lord People. Obviously you ALL missed the LOL part of my sentence. GET A GRIP.

My god, yes people are over-reacting.

In addition, I was simply pointing out the fact that IF someone thought things weren't being done correctly they COULD send an email on it so DISCRETION is always better. I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who's on a first name basis with their GLO's NPC Delegate.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think the confusion came from wondering why an official meeting was being sponsored by the Greek advisor(s) when it wasn't clear what exactly the meeting was for. If it was a meeting to let everyone know there was an interest group and for the whole Greek community to ask questions about the official extension process...that's fine and what should be happening.

However, it came across as though the Greek advisors were presenting this interest group as having the "stamp of approval" and holding a meeting partly to help them recruit new members when it wasn't clear if the CPC had voted to open for expansion or not.

There were other posts - since deleted - that confirmed this latter view.
Exactly. (I hadn't even noticed they were deleted)
Old 02-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

those of us who have been on gc for a while have pretty much learned how to read posts from regular posters-new people don't have the history to understand that things that may appear inferred or veiled, may just be the tone that a particular poster usually posts in.

i have to admit i raised an eyebrow at a couple of posts-it sounded like some posters were calling foul, forgetting that the women doing the explaining might not have the extensive npc background that others have, therefore, they are not able to explain the actual process that the school is using.

we all need to untwist our panties, calm down, and wish this group luck-that is, if the we haven't totally turned them off from affiliating with an npc sorority.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh for crying out loud, I wasn't "threatening" anyone.
Just to clarify, I didn't accuse you of threatening anyone. I wrote that the posts came across as threatening. There's a difference. People were wondering why lauroo615 was feeling threatened and I merely explained why.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

FSUZeta, I second your post!
Old 02-14-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
we all need to untwist our panties, calm down, and wish this group luck-that is, if the we haven't totally turned them off from affiliating with an npc sorority.
I agree. We're so quick to pounce on the GC newbies who don't have as much experience with NPC terminology or processes.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
those of us who have been on gc for a while have pretty much learned how to read posts from regular posters-new people don't have the history to understand that things that may appear inferred or veiled, may just be the tone that a particular poster usually posts in.

i have to admit i raised an eyebrow at a couple of posts-it sounded like some posters were calling foul, forgetting that the women doing the explaining might not have the extensive npc background that others have, therefore, they are not able to explain the actual process that the school is using.

Well put, FSUZeta.

It should be interesting to see how it all plays out. I wish the group well.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Apparently what started all the fuss was my response to a particular post (again, since deleted by the poster, who is a member of an NPC group). My intent was to clear up misconceptions in that post (mainly, that NPC would tell the school what sorority they were getting) and warn them of problems they may encounter (mainly, the chance all the members of the interest group would not be chosen to colonize the national). If I was too blunt in doing so, well, so be it.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

expansion

Irishpipes gave a detailed account of AOPi going onto the Rose-Hulman campus last year. She indicated that there was some discussion in the Panhellenic about allowing the interest group to be allowed to expand as a national NPC group. I was wondering how successful they have been as a third group. Were the other groups welcoming? Have they done well in their first rush?

It is great when the welcome mat is out for expansion. When there is some tension, as she indicated, I just wondered how well the new group had done on campus so far. Have they been installed?
Old 02-15-2007, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Something else to chew on...

Hello everyone!

Here is an article written in our school newspaper about our possible...well...you know!

Check it out! http://theapp.appstate.edu/content/view/2024/43/

It didn't reflect 100% of what we wanted to say (we definitely do NOT want a "change on campus", and they didn't care to write that we wanted to become a part of the greek community as a whole, but, oh well.) but overall I think we're happy with it.

Our interest meeting is in a few days! Oh man! I'm excited AND nervous about this...
Old 02-15-2007, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I might definately be in a minority saying this, but how much more diverse do you want greek life sororities to be? I personally find 7 a good assortment. It would be different if there were like two or three. Yes, out of 26 Nationals, 7 isn't a lot, but you have to look at the campus. Is there enough interest to support another chapter? I think it would be different if we weren't hearing that all but 1 (if I remember correctly from what I've read on this thread) are at total, but one chapter isn't. To me, how can a campus be ready for expansion when there is a chapter not at total. Yes, I remember reading that this chapter hasn't been at total for a number of years, but seriously greek life in general is only as strong as your weakest link.

Obviously, I don't go to appstate (my best friend did), but I have to agree with the lady from Chi Omega who said that she wanted the current chapters to become stronger before adding another one.

Plus, with the possible switch to formal fall (the article said that the decision hadn't been formalized yet) no one knows how many women will be interested in participating and joining greek life.

I think greek life is wise in holding back for expansion until they see how a formal fall goes.

Is the campus using the new release figures?

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt