GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,667
3 members and 1,664 guests
Overthinker, PGD-GRAD, Sister Havana

Old 12-08-2003, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

DU chapter suspended/ now inactive

DU's chapter at Bucknell was suspended for 2 1/2 years for hazing/booze violations.
Another 90 man chapter gone due to stupidity. The chapter had a beautiful house, great alumni and a history that dated back to 1889 as a local and as a DU chapter since 1950. Every fraternity has lost too many strong chapters. DU has lost Stanford, Colorado, Oklahoma State, Johns Hopkins, Union, Bucknell Rutgers and many others in the last 15 years to hazing/ booze, bad behavior needs to stop or Fraternities will become empty shells of what they once were.
Many might say these chapters are recolonized and come back better than ever, but many of chapters don't come back after suspension. What a waste of energy!
Old 12-08-2003, 09:18 PM

There's a strange echo in here. We read the same things over and over -- but still they continue.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

We're talking to ourselves

Unfortunately, here on GC it seems like we're talking to our selves. shaking our fingers collectively at the jerks out there hazing and boozing.

All of this is hidden from most alumni and most undergraduates.

TKE has lost over 100 chapters, but there has never been one mention in their magazine of a chapter death or suspension, or what causes such.

I think the GLOs need to start making things a little more believable by being more honest and more forthcoming about problems.

I like the way the NCAA handles problems in the athletic field: if a school is under investigation, they send a letter to the school and copies to the media. If they take action, there is a full report (full page or more) in their public news-magazine, and on their website. Surely ABC's athletic director, coaches, alumni boosters, etc., read about XYZ's problems and sanctions, and make sure nobody at ABC is doing anything similar.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: We're talking to ourselves

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
. . . . I think the GLOs need to start making things a little more believable by being more honest and more forthcoming about problems.

I like the way the NCAA handles problems in the athletic field: if a school is under investigation, they send a letter to the school and copies to the media. If they take action, there is a full report (full page or more) in their public news-magazine, and on their website. Surely ABC's athletic director, coaches, alumni boosters, etc., read about XYZ's problems and sanctions, and make sure nobody at ABC is doing anything similar.
Hoosier, there's a lot to be said for being more honest and forthcoming about problems, I agree. The elephant-in-the-living-room syndrome is prevalent in too many organizations, not just GLOs.

As to the NCAA and the higher education sports establishment, well, with all due respect I'm not sure that's the best model. Yes, there's publicity, and that might be a useful thing, but just from reading the news over the years I'm not sure there's a long-lasting deterrent effect.
I could be wrong, but there seems to be too much money and emotion invested, at least in the Big Time Sports schools, for a realistic chance at eliminating eventual resurgence of violations.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: We're talking to ourselves

Quote:
Unfortunately, here on GC it seems like we're talking to our selves. shaking our fingers collectively at the jerks out there hazing and boozing.

All of this is hidden from most alumni and most undergraduates.

TKE has lost over 100 chapters, but there has never been one mention in their magazine of a chapter death or suspension, or what causes such.

I think the GLOs need to start making things a little more believable by being more honest and more forthcoming about problems.

hoosier, have you seen what Sigma Phi Epsilon does in their Journal? They have a section entitled "SigEp's Own Frat Boys" and it talks about what chapters that got shut down did.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: We're talking to ourselves

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
hoosier, have you seen what Sigma Phi Epsilon does in their Journal? They have a section entitled "SigEp's Own Frat Boys" and it talks about what chapters that got shut down did.
This is in our journal and brought up during our national visits. For our chapter the president or risk management chair usually reads them once a month to remind us how easy it is to make a poor decision.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: We're talking to ourselves

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
I don't get the SPE magazine, but I'll try to pick one up on my next campus visit.

I seldom see SPE chapters causing problems, except for one bad case last year (was that at Indiana?).

Congrats to SPE.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: We're talking to ourselves

Quote:
I don't get the SPE magazine, but I'll try to pick one up on my next campus visit.

I seldom see SPE chapters causing problems, except for one bad case last year (was that at Indiana?).

Congrats to SPE.
You can read it online in a PDF format...it's linked somewhere off of their front page, I always forget where.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

http://sigep.org/Journal/default.asp
Old 12-09-2003, 04:54 PM

HMMMM.

This is from last spring.

http://www.orgs.bucknell.edu/bucknel...pinions01.shtm

2 snaps and a swirl for use of the term "poop pipes."