GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,668
1 members and 2,667 guests
ER_Pike

Old 02-27-2008, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

OMG I forgot to mention my cookie table!! I can't wait for the cookies, but unfortunately, ours will be purchased from a bakery. My grandma was the one to make all of the cookies and she is in a nursing home. The coordinator at our venue told us a story about how when she first started working there 20 years ago, she had never heard of a cookie table. They had all of these boxes of cookies under a table to put out after dinner. She started putting them out one box at a time, rather than spreading out the various types of cookies, and she was nearly attacked by little old ladies wondering why she didn't think there cookies weren't "good enough." She said she learned to take out a few cookies from each box! LOL
Old 02-28-2008, 03:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Cookie table evangelism is go!
Old 02-28-2008, 07:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I could live on cheese straws. Yum.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
We were married in Las Vegas and had decks of cards done with our names and wedding date on them. They were done in our wedding colors and were a huge hit
Old 02-28-2008, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsunshine214 View Post
Nobody ever told me of the tradition of putting in under your pillow! I just thought I was getting tricked!
I've never heard of that. What's the tradition?
Old 02-28-2008, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteASAbug View Post
I've never heard of that. What's the tradition?
As described above:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
These are Jordan Almonds and the Italians refer to it as Confetti. It is a long standing Italian tradition (my great grandparents even did it in the late 1800s). You are NOT supposed to eat those! You are supposed to put them under your pillow that night and you will dream about who you are going to marry.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Cookie tables are amazing! We had everyone making cookies for ours...family, friends, friends of friends. My mom and I had them dropped off or we picked up all the cookies and put them on trays the morning we had to take everything to the reception hall. We had 22 trays of cookies which has AT LEAST 100 cookies on each tray. Plus we had cookies left over! I think we had at least 100 dozen cookies made. Here is a picture of what our cookie table looked like: http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/andreadg9/Our%20Wedding%20-%20August%202007/andrea0033.jpg

Last edited by hannahgirl; 02-28-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsunshine214 View Post
My family is hardcore Italian from the east coast! Literally it was a travesty when my immediate family moved to Ohio because no one in my family had ever left the NY/NJ area. Anyway, when I told my mom I was considering not having favors she went bug-eyed! It's unheard of in my family!

On a funny note: I remember being in 2 weddings as a kid and being so upset that the candy in the tulle was hard to get to and hard to eat! I remembering being a 4 year-old flower girl, "That candy was about to break my teeth!" Nobody ever told me of the tradition of putting in under your pillow! I just thought I was getting tricked!
Maybe they didn't want you dreaming about who you were going to marry when you were only 4? Maybe my family made up that story totally so we didn't break our teeth on them! Maybe your family realized that making "getting married" the be all end all goal of your life was silly? Or, maybe it's just a Sicilian thing? I don't know! My family could've duped me for all I know! LOL

ETA: They also told us we were supposed to put the cake under our pillow to dream about who we would marry. I always ate mine though. Maybe that's why I'm divorced??? I screwed up!

Although my family came to Detroit from PA (not quite Pittsburgh... Uniontown), the cookie table thing didn't follow. There was always a dessert table and when we were younger, the desserts were homemade by the elder generation of women.. cannoli, pizelle, pinolata, etc. I was never big into the Italian desserts though so I stuck with cake. As we got older, the dessert table ended up catered because that generation was too old to do it and everybody else was too busy.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Now I want cookies and mac and cheese! Will someone just post pictures of yummy fruit! I'm trying to lose weight here!

That cookie table idea is cool. I'll have to pass it on to the next person I know who is getting married.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

We did fortune cookies with fortunes we had personalized. They were REALLY cheap (we ordered 1000 cookies). We put them in Chinese take-out boxes with our picture on them and had 3 cookies per box. They went over really well, and when everyone was REALLY drunk later that night, apparently they feasted on fortune cookies. My mom decided she needed to make origami cranes to go on the boxes since it meant good luck, so she spent weeks making them. They looked awesome when displayed. I need to find a picture.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm thinking the idea of a cookie table would be neat for a shower - get the cookies and the recipes . . . .
Old 03-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

I have been told that my marriage didn't work because I didn't have a cookie table! My Southern mother couldn't handle the concept at the time. She is now 100% sold on them!

I'll admit, though, the last local wedding I went used purple and black as their colors (Scottish wedding, the kilts & sashes were in the clan colors). Seeing black and purple filling in a mini-ladylock didn't look very attractive. I found the whole Susanna Martinsen article, quoted here on Greek Chat:

The Legend of the Cookie Table

"An excerpt from "The Cookie Table: A Pittsburgh Tradition"

by Suzanne Martinson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Food Editor

You can have a designer wedding gown and tuxedo or hand-me-downs. You can have an "A-copy" guest list or just the closest of kissing kin. You can receive your guests at the fanciest restaurant or at a potluck at the firehall. But you aren't truly a Pittsburgher unless you have The Cookie Table.
When we first moved here and a bride-to-be mentioned The Cookie Table, I was puzzled. "What do you need cookies for?" I asked. "At a wedding, you eat cake."

Little did I know. The Cookie Table is as much a part of Pittsburgh as the Pirates and the Steelers and the Penguins. We may bleed black and gold, but at any event worth writing home about, we have cookies.
And most of these cookies are homemade by the mother of the bride, sisters, aunts, cousins and grandmothers. Sometimes both sides of the extended family get involved. Friends are also called into the fray. Happy to do it, in fact. The Cookie Table is, indeed, the gift of love.

Nobody knows the exact origin of the tradition, which has been exported to other parts of Pennsylvania, other states, too. It may be Italian or Slovak or Polish or Croatian or Greek. The Scandinavians may get involved, and the Indians, too. The Germans do cookies, and so do the Irish. If we've left anybody out (like the English), add them to the cookie equation. There may be no greater tribute to cross-cultural friends and marriages than The Cookie Table. It's what makes America great; a medley of cultures taking the best from each. The best, in this case, being favorite family cookie recipes. When we researched the topic for the premier edition of the Food Section in 1996, we talked with more than 150 people. The cookies that emerged most often as the "must haves" on the table were: Pizzelles; Biscotti; Italian Anise Drops; Baklava; Cherry Cheesecakes; Thumbprints; Pecan Tassies; Apricot, Poppyseed, and Nut Rolls. And two indicators that Americans never stop innovating: Buckeyes and Hershey Kiss Cookies...

Remember, in Pittsburgh, people don't wonder, "How was the wedding?" They ask, "Were the cookies good?"

Last edited by honeychile; 03-03-2008 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
I am doing MS Cheese Straws (made in MS) in little bags. They are really yummy too!
http://www.mscheesestraws.com/cheese...FTOKEN=7259962

Can I come to your wedding? I gave tins of MS Cheese Straws to my co-workers for Christmas this year. YUM! I could eat them for breakfast.

Kappa Kappa Gamma

Tradition of Leadership

Old 03-10-2008, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Just wondering if anyone read Miss Manners yesterday? (An alternate site for the column.)

The second letter was about wedding favors.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Excellent column on the whole "favors" issue. Seriously, when did we turn weddings into children's birthday parties?? I love Miss Manners.