GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,438
2 members and 1,436 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 08-26-2008, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the web guy has been sick longer than that! Panhellenic doesn't even have spring grades up. I don't think they post stats anymore.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-26-2008, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
When you said you got "all 12 parties" for round 2, do you mean you got all of your top 12 choices or that you merely had a full schedule? In other words, did you cut any of the chapters after round 1?

I still am a bit confused on the matching but after Round 1 I ordered all 17 from what I felt was a best match to least best, so I did not cut any (I think, correct me if I am wrong). Round 2 I had all of my top 12.

33girl- Reading that in hindsight it did come off poorly, I apologize. What I meant was that I had heard that inapropriate pictures on facebook would be severely looked down upon yet it did not seem to matter for some girls. Then again perhaps they had other areas that outweighted a few drunks pictures or a bad reputation and all it took was the right sorority to see that they were nice girls despite some flaws.

Once again, congrats to all the girls who got a bid. After going through part of the process I have a lot of appreciation for all the work that goes into rush and greek life in general.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
I think the web guy has been sick longer than that! Panhellenic doesn't even have spring grades up. I don't think they post stats anymore.
I have it on very good authority that there is a new person in place learning the ropes and the list will be posted soon.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uga921 View Post
I still am a bit confused on the matching but after Round 1 I ordered all 17 from what I felt was a best match to least best, so I did not cut any (I think, correct me if I am wrong). Round 2 I had all of my top 12.

33girl- Reading that in hindsight it did come off poorly, I apologize. What I meant was that I had heard that inapropriate pictures on facebook would be severely looked down upon yet it did not seem to matter for some girls. Then again perhaps they had other areas that outweighted a few drunks pictures or a bad reputation and all it took was the right sorority to see that they were nice girls despite some flaws.

Once again, congrats to all the girls who got a bid. After going through part of the process I have a lot of appreciation for all the work that goes into rush and greek life in general.
Don't fret too much about it. There's really no telling what happened, and honestly, it may not be as personal as you think. If you are still interested in Greek life, look for COB opportunities through the Greek Life office and stay in touch with your contacts in the houses.

One doesn't have to be Greek to have a great experience at UGA. I didn't go through recruitment until right before my junior year, and I had a great experience and had a lot of opportunities on campus before I pledged as well as after. I'd encourage anyone interested to rush, but it won't make or break your experience at UGA .
Old 08-26-2008, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPhiBLtColonel View Post
I have it on very good authority that there is a new person in place learning the ropes and the list will be posted soon.
Great! I'll pencil in some stalking!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uga921 View Post
What I was wondering is if all 17 groups cut you or if you cut some of the groups. If you got all your top 12, there is a chance that some of your bottom 5 may have still been interested in you, but you cut them.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Glad to know the Greek life office is getting back together at Georgia!
Old 08-27-2008, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
What I was wondering is if all 17 groups cut you or if you cut some of the groups. If you got all your top 12, there is a chance that some of your bottom 5 may have still been interested in you, but you cut them.
violetpretty, speaking on some authority here, chapters that a PNM doesn't rank in her top-whatever don't necessarily cut her right away. Especially not if the campus is using the PNM ranking system as opposed to the see you invite list and accept or regret system.

In fact, a lot of times if chapters are following release figures carefully, they won't cut those girls right away. If they see a girl first round and not at any of the subsequent rounds, they'll probably cut her before pref. But not necessarily after she ranks them lower/regrets them once.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
violetpretty, speaking on some authority here, chapters that a PNM doesn't rank in her top-whatever don't necessarily cut her right away. Especially not if the campus is using the PNM ranking system as opposed to the see you invite list and accept or regret system.

In fact, a lot of times if chapters are following release figures carefully, they won't cut those girls right away. If they see a girl first round and not at any of the subsequent rounds, they'll probably cut her before pref. But not necessarily after she ranks them lower/regrets them once.
Interesting. I asked about re-inviting girls that you didn't see at one round of parties, and someone told me that you couldn't really do it anymore because it messed up the release figures.

And although I certainly could be wrong, it doesn't seem to be something that is happening at UGA these days. You don't seem to hear about girls getting picked back up third round at houses that they didn't attend for second.

But of course that doesn't mean it would be impossible to do so.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
Interesting. I asked about re-inviting girls that you didn't see at one round of parties, and someone told me that you couldn't really do it anymore because it messed up the release figures.
That is correct. It makes a mess.

Let's say a woman goes to 17 chapters round one then ranks 12 of them as 1s and the other 5 as 2-3-4-5-6. Round two she attends all 12 of her 1s. That means she "cut" those 5 chapters. She does not appear on the attendance list for chapters 2-3-4-5-6 and therefore cannot be invited to round three by them. Some chapters try to "re-invite," but if the campus is using Priority ranking and RFM, that re-inviting is futile. The PNMs are only ranking the chapters they attend, and the chapters are only ranking the PNMs in attendance. So they'll never match up.

Some campuses that do Accept/Regret and don't match on ICS or CD might still allow re-inviting. But it is not common and not very helpful for RFM.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:27 PM

I thought this whole "regret with interest" thing was being used more frequently? Or isn't that the case?
Old 08-27-2008, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I thought this whole "regret with interest" thing was being used more frequently? Or isn't that the case?
I don't have any idea really, but I thought it was less frequent because priority ranking made complicated release figure stuff like flex lists easier.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It is actually becoming more and more obsolete. Campuses are increasingly switching to Priority away from A/R. Some super big ones switched just this year and really benefitted from it. Priority allows for the use of Flex Lists, and flexing makes sure chapters have an adequate number of women coming to their parties.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwright25 View Post
It is actually becoming more and more obsolete. Campuses are increasingly switching to Priority away from A/R. Some super big ones switched just this year and really benefitted from it. Priority allows for the use of Flex Lists, and flexing makes sure chapters have an adequate number of women coming to their parties.
OK - this is all odd.

My campus switched to priority away from accept/regret my senior year.

We definitely still re-invited people. And were encouraged to even more than we had been during accept/regret time, because it looked less pathetic - with accept/regret, they would see that we kept inviting them back and they'd keep regretting... with priority, if they kept going to other groups, they'd never know they had an active invitation with us. They would only see it in this scenario (using my campus's numbers)

Round 1 they went to all 5 houses, and they ranked my chapter lowest
Round 2 they went to 4 houses - all their top choices
Round 3 they went to 3 houses - only two houses cut them, so they ended up back at my house

Most people didn't experience that drastic cut - most people would be released upfront the first night - so they would never know we were still inviting them. Only a few people would "slip through" so to say, and helped boost our numbers.

That said, we tended to release people if they had not attended our house for two nights in a row.

But our Greek advisors would actually get on us about that because it was usually exceeding the number of releases recommended by Panhellenic!

I'm probably saying too much here, but honestly it seems like what happened at my campus is the opposite of what y'all are saying.

Frankly, though, that could be 'cause y'all are talking about UGA and I'm talking about teensy W&L.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
OK - this is all odd.

My campus switched to priority away from accept/regret my senior year.

We definitely still re-invited people. And were encouraged to even more than we had been during accept/regret time, because it looked less pathetic - with accept/regret, they would see that we kept inviting them back and they'd keep regretting... with priority, if they kept going to other groups, they'd never know they had an active invitation with us. They would only see it in this scenario (using my campus's numbers)

Round 1 they went to all 5 houses, and they ranked my chapter lowest
Round 2 they went to 4 houses - all their top choices
Round 3 they went to 3 houses - only two houses cut them, so they ended up back at my house

Most people didn't experience that drastic cut - most people would be released upfront the first night - so they would never know we were still inviting them. Only a few people would "slip through" so to say, and helped boost our numbers.

That said, we tended to release people if they had not attended our house for two nights in a row.

But our Greek advisors would actually get on us about that because it was usually exceeding the number of releases recommended by Panhellenic!

I'm probably saying too much here, but honestly it seems like what happened at my campus is the opposite of what y'all are saying.

Frankly, though, that could be 'cause y'all are talking about UGA and I'm talking about teensy W&L.
I never had any real knowledge of how stuffed worked, even when I was there before release figures, but it might have something to do with the size, like you said. On your campus, it might be easier to hold over a separate list of girls to re-invite, especially because the number of chapters is smaller. Someone may have even done the inviting by hand after the regular parties were matched or something.