GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,738
0 members and 2,738 guests
No Members online

Old 08-19-2007, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECMom View Post
Vomiting pnms? Wasn't there a story somewhere about a very pregnant pnm at Alabama not too many years ago? Or did I dream that...?????
You didn't dream that! It happened and I saw her! This PNM had to be at least 7 months pregnant if not further along. I felt so bad for her being on her feet during the parties, walking from house to house in the heat. I remember we offered her a chair to sit down and she declined.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-19-2007, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
You didn't dream that! It happened and I saw her! This PNM had to be at least 7 months pregnant if not further along. I felt so bad for her being on her feet during the parties, walking from house to house in the heat. I remember we offered her a chair to sit down and she declined.
I knew I saw that somewhere! Do you remember what year it was? My daughter pledged in 2001--she doesn't know anything about it but I remember thinking that it must have happened while she was there.

Sheesh...what was that kid thinking?
Old 08-19-2007, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee to yesterday! That is all I have to say.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I just heard that Quota was finally set at 73 Freshmen and 7 Upperclassmen. No word yet on how many Chapters made Quota.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Surprisingly a few PNM's voluntarily withdrew between day 1 & day 2. I guess they decided sorority life wasn't for them. The same thing happened between the 2 days of Philanthropy. I find that really strange.
From what you've described, sounds like some of them may have bailed out of sheer exhaustion from the heat. If you're on the fence about joining a sorority anyway, going through that torture would make it easy to get off the fence onto the GDI side. It just wouldn't be worth it unless you were pretty certain you'd find great rewards at the end.
________
WHITE WIDOW SEEDS

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

website

Does anyone know if there is a website we can visit to see final lists of where each girl pledged?
Old 08-19-2007, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid Day is today at 5pm and I hope that all of the girls in my rec group get the house they wanted. Of the 6 girls rushing, 5 of them attending 3 pref parties and 1 of them attended 2 pref parties. One of the girls suicided and I hope she gets a bid at that house. I am not sure what time she would be notified if she did not receive a bid, but it is after 1 pm and so far no dreaded phone call.
Rush at any school is stressful, but it has become more and more competitive each year. Gone are the days of being a "shoe in" if you were a legacy. Your best bet is to have friends and connections on the inside of each house that will pull for you. We as alums can only do so much, the choice is ultimately up to the current members of that chapter to choose their new sisters.
Good Luck to all the new PNM's and their weary families today! I hope they all "squeal" with joy!
Old 08-19-2007, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECMom View Post
I knew I saw that somewhere! Do you remember what year it was? My daughter pledged in 2001--she doesn't know anything about it but I remember thinking that it must have happened while she was there.

Sheesh...what was that kid thinking?
I would have guessed about 5-6 years ago, but if your daughter was there in 2001 and doesn't remember seeing or hearing anything (I'm sure the story got around the rush groups), then it must have been longer than that. Time flies when you're having fun.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

OK, its been almost an hour. How long before they'll post on the panhellenic website? My daughter is calling me from church to see if I know anything!
Old 08-19-2007, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

it takes them awhile, i know it took them a day when i rushed in 2003..
Old 08-19-2007, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

BamaPhiMu,
Bids were extended about two hours ago. Have you heard any results from your group of pnms you knew? Right now new members and families are celebrating, but some of us are wondering about recruitment numbers.
A girl I know from our local highschool is a Phi Mu legacy. I am hoping for a wonderful preference and bid for her.
Thanks for any information you can give us.
Football Fan
Old 08-19-2007, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

quota for each house was 80.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, quota is 73. Houses were also allowed to take up to 7 "free" upperclassmen, which equals 80, but official quota is 73.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

which most do..
Old 08-19-2007, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDad DZ View Post
Hey Everyone,

My daughter Kristen (DZ at the University of Alabama) is going through recruitment from the other side of the sorority house door for the first time. She is exhausted from the many days of preparation preceding recruitment and the toil of hosting 1,400 plus girls in record high temperatures. It has been fascinating to hear the stories accompanying recruitment. Without violating any DZ secrets, protocol, etc., she has generically told me tales about vomiting PNMs, her "rush crush", frozen air conditioners, voting on PNMs until 5:00 AM, and other equally notable items. Let me also say it is much easier being Sorority Dad versus PNM Dad! All the GreekChat folks are once more providing tons of support to the nail-biters frequenting the forum. Great job, Ladies and Gents! You were in my corner last year and I thank you again. Kristen has enjoyed her experience with DZ passionately, to say the least. Good luck to all the Bama PNMs and their supportive parents!

David (BamaDad DZ)
Yeah! BamaDad -you're back! I am so glad. I loved your posts when I was "still lurking." It's great having a parent's perspective on what it means to be Greek. All pnm's and current active members should have a dad who is as interested in their Greek experience as you are.