GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,903
1 members and 1,902 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-25-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Preface:

#1 - I'm a guy. We notably do not get all the ins and outs of NPC recruitment.
#2 - The campuses in my example are way smaller and had brand new systems.
#3 - I'm a guy. (Sorry, I've noticed that if I use that excuse at work, many of the female teachers cut me some slack.)

IF 2 groups come on at same time, could they possibly do a "mini-recruitment" after regular formal recruitment. In my mind, it would be similar to the new systems at Arkansas-Fort Smith and UTexas-Tyler. The pnms for the colonies would go to presentations, meetings, have their interviews, and then would rank the colonies in order of preference to join. The colonies would also rank the pnms for preference of members ("mutual selection").

Or, am I talking out my ear?
#1 - Depending on who gets chosen, there may be PNMs who are only interested in one group and want nothing to do with the other one. If they're told they have to "rank" they may eschew colony rush altogether.

#2 - Any national coming on to Arkansas is going to select members for a colony with a fine tooth comb - no scratch that - make that a truckload of fine tooth combs. Any pretense of "mutual selection" is inappropriate here, IMO.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
Hmmmm.... that is quite the list!

For those of you keeping track from Irishpipes mega-list...
Phi Mu, DG, and AXO were at U. Arkansas before.

AGD has a big chapter at Arkansas State, Phi Mu also has a couple of chapters in Arkansas, and DG is at Arkansas-Fort Smith.
For what it is worth, both Delta Gamma and Phi Mu have chapters at three fairly near SEC schools - Ole Miss, Mississippi State and LSU.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Phi doesn't have any chapters in Arkansas, but quite a few (15) in bordering states.

TX: 6 (including UT and Texas Tech)
OK: 3 (including OU)
KS: 2 (technically not a border state, but geographically close enough)
MO: 4 (including Mizzou)

But none in the most geographically and culturally southern border states of LA, MS, and TN.

While it's obvious that it'd be great to be able to say that AR is 100% surrounded by states with Alpha Phi, I don't know enough about Greek life at Arkansas to know if the lack of a presence and name recognition in its southeastern neighbors in particular will put Alpha Phi at a marked disadvantage (compared to the other 4, which have significant presence in the Southeast and SEC schools).

Culturally, does Arkansas lean more like its Southeastern or Midwestern sisters?
Old 01-25-2012, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAlphaPhi View Post
Alpha Phi doesn't have any chapters in Arkansas, but quite a few (15) in bordering states.

TX: 6 (including UT and Texas Tech)
OK: 3 (including OU)
KS: 2 (technically not a border state, but geographically close enough)
MO: 4 (including Mizzou)

But none in the most geographically and culturally southern border states of LA, MS, and TN.

While it's obvious that it'd be great to be able to say that AR is 100% surrounded by states with Alpha Phi, I don't know enough about Greek life at Arkansas to know if the lack of a presence and name recognition in its southeastern neighbors in particular will put Alpha Phi at a marked disadvantage (compared to the other 4, which have significant presence in the Southeast and SEC schools).

Culturally, does Arkansas lean more like its Southeastern or Midwestern sisters?
Speaking as a native Arkansan...

We definitely have a mixture, but I would would say that it definitely leans towards the Southeastern sisters. We're in the SEC, and act like most SEC schools in regards to rush and feel of the Greek groups at other SEC schools.

I think that name recognition will definitely play a part. As an Alpha Chi who is from a state without an AXO chapter (and hasn't had one in 25 years), I don't have really any name recognition of my sorority. I would say the same for Alpha Phi (in my albeit limited experience). It will certainly help that Alpha Phi had such a great colonization at Alabama.

AXO has 3 chapters in OK, 1 or 2 in Louisiana, quite a few in TX (that will definitely help!), 3 in TN, and no active chapters in MS. We don't have a huge Southern presence, but we do have some big chapters- one at Bama, one at Auburn, at Florida State and Florida. We'll see.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 01-25-2012, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I was referring to University of Southern California and I also only have heard that AGD is presenting. I know that they still own a house on the Row but I think that it might need extensive renovations (or ay least freshening up) as it is leased by a professional fraternity currently.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Two sororities are presenting at USC next week. The other org hasn't identified itself, and USC hasn't announced it, so I don't know if it's my place to identify them. I'd rather err on the side of caution.

AGD owns the AKPsi house, which will need some remodeling if they are chosen to come to USC. The rooms are pretty small—what was formerly a quad (and is currently functioning as a single) is maybe 15x30 ft, though I'm terrible at estimating size. The bathrooms are communal, like many sororities on the Row, and the house as a whole is kind of dingy (no offense to AKPsi, it just needs a little TLC). However, I can see how it was, and could be, a nice sorority house.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

SO MANY of the PNM's going to Arkansas to school are from Texas and also Oklahoma. I feel name recognition in those states will be a factor. Many of those presenting have great name recognition is the SEC. I feel all 5 could be very successful at Arkansas.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Oh gosh, yes. When I was at Arkansas and certain of those sororities were struggling, we had bed rush and if your house wasn't big enough to take in a relatively big class, then you were looked down upon. If you did take a big class because women dropped out, then people would go around gossiping that that was the only way you could take so many and that burned you too.

It's a new day! Looking at the huge numbers of PNMs (especially from out-of-state where these 5 flourish) plus new and big houses plus RFM (big help), it seems like the 2 new groups could have fabulous chapters.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
It's a new day! Looking at the huge numbers of PNMs (especially from out-of-state where these 5 flourish) plus new and big houses plus RFM (big help), it seems like the 2 new groups could have fabulous chapters.
I think this is the big difference between Arkansas in the past (over 5 years), and Arkansas in the past 5 years. Many of the women coming to Arkansas now are 1st generation UA folks. Same with the Lottery Scholarship, as this adds more students who may not have previous ties to UA. Very excited that this is finally moving forward! Go Hogs Go!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Phi Epsilon just closed the Michigan Epsilon Chapter at Michigan State University for hazing.

Also, not sure if mentioned, but the Michigan Iota Chapter was also closed at Northwood University for not following policies nor upholding the integrity of the Fraternity.

Neither are no longer a part of the national website: http://sigep.org/chapters/

*sigh* That's down to 6 chapters from 11 in Michigan...
Old 01-26-2012, 03:21 PM

Worcester Polytechnical Institute (MA) is opening for fraternity expansion.

http://wp.wpi.edu/sao/2012/01/17/wpi...er-fraternity/

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 01-27-2012, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Chi Omega at High Point univ

Today was bid day for our new chapter at High Point! We welcomed 116 new members into our sisterhood! Thank you to the HPU community for being so welcoming.

Once I have something better than a cell phone picture, I'll post it in the Bid Day thread.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Way to go AXO!!!
Old 01-28-2012, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDPhiE View Post
Alpha Sigma Tau, Delta Phi Epsilon and Theta Phi Alpha have been invited to present at Rhode Island College in Providence, RI- Spring 2012 Colonization
We just finished our presentation, so results should come shortly. Good luck to everyone!
Old 01-28-2012, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeb View Post
AGD owns the AKPsi house, which will need some remodeling if they are chosen to come to USC. The rooms are pretty small—what was formerly a quad (and is currently functioning as a single) is maybe 15x30 ft, though I'm terrible at estimating size. The bathrooms are communal, like many sororities on the Row, and the house as a whole is kind of dingy (no offense to AKPsi, it just needs a little TLC). However, I can see how it was, and could be, a nice sorority house.
It was the break house during formal, right?

MelindaWarren aka Bellatrix Lestrange
Wanna follow me on Pinterest? PM me!
"It is our choices that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."-Albus Dumbledore