GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Omega

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 835
1 members and 834 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 04-29-2014, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Big/Little Reveal

Hey guys!

We recently did elections for the upcoming school year and the new exec board is looking for ways to make people more excited about joining and being a part of Alpha Phi Omega. One of the ideas we were thinking about is having a big/little reveal. As of now, the pledges meet their big while getting pinned at the induction ceremony. It just isn't really something that is exciting. I was wondering if any of you have done a big/little reveal and if you have, how do you go about doing so? Did you do it before or after inductions? Do you have any cool ideas or suggestions, etc... Thanks for your help.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:20 AM

Big/little reveal is kind of a girly sorority thing. If you don't want males to feel unwelcome, you should just keep it the way you have it.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Big/little reveal is kind of a girly sorority thing. If you don't want males to feel unwelcome, you should just keep it the way you have it.
Not necessarily. My chapter does a ceremony where the pairings are revealed and it's gender neutral.

I would avoid the yarn webs, keys and locks, Annie lockets, and all the other girly stuff though.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:07 AM
GreekChat Member

This might not be TOO girly -- Bigs stand in a circle with a sheet in front of them. Each sheet has a name pinned to it. (If you want it MORE girly, each sheet is decorated by the Big and has the Little's name written out in big, glittery letters.) Each Little stands in front of his/her name and on "go," the sheets are all dropped. Cue hugs, girly screams and brownies. At most KD chapters I've worked with, the Big provides matching Big/Little sweatshirts
Old 04-29-2014, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Ceremony from Ritual Book.

There is a Big/Little Reveal ceremony in the Ritual Book now. It was added int he last 5 years and definitely optional, but you may want to take a look...
Old 04-29-2014, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa 20 years ago...

What Kappa (Carnegie-Mellon) chapter did...

9-10 week pledging period. Bigs picked by Pledgemaster in week 2. (Generally 1 male and one female). From week 2 to week 6, clues left the chapter office in the "Clue Box". This could include notes, notes with Candy attached or other things (one brother actually left books he'd had for classes as clues). The Reveal was in week 6. The event was called "Nature Trail to Hell" and was a walk off campus across the city park that adjoined campus that eventually ended up at a Pizza place where the Brothers had arranged to reserve a large portion of the restaurant. Food was gotten and over the food, each pledge as asked if they had figured it out (some pledges had figured theirs out already and gotten confirmation from their big) and if they had a guess, who the guess was... After Food, we headed back to campus.

I don't think we had a faculty advisor along for the walk, but I know there were a few alumni on my walk.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

We did pretty low key things in the past for big/little reveal, once we gave the littles clues to find their bigs on campus, another time the bigs cut out the stems from pumpkins and they had to find the big with the pumpkin that matched it. Both times the littles got a basket of gifts, usually their stitch too. At our formal at the end of the semester, bigs and littles also exchanged plaques. Usually the pledge educator would decide what would be done for big/little reveal.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I love the pumpkin idea. It's a perfect lead-in to a pumpking-carving party where the newly-minted bigs and littles work together to carve a pumpkin that represents both of their faces. Then the chapter could vote on which pumpkin best captured the big/little pair (with both appearance and attitude) and give a prize.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
There is a Big/Little Reveal ceremony in the Ritual Book now. It was added int he last 5 years and definitely optional, but you may want to take a look...
Whaaaaaaat? I'm really out of the loop.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
Whaaaaaaat? I'm really out of the loop.
Oddly enough, I've never read it, I just know that it is there. I'm actually ordering some Ritual books from National...