GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,555
1 members and 2,554 guests
fmanning

Old 08-12-2009, 04:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
Rude? You want rude? I'm taking bets on how long it will take for mom to come back to complain how those snobby high priced old row houses cut the salesman's daughter.

I think you received very good and polite answers to your questions that also took your daughter's happiness into consideration.

You know, I love being Greek but I would have not only survived but thrived without it. I can't believe how many people now think it's some sort of right to go Greek, no matter what their current circumstances.
I felt the need to use this, again.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-12-2009, 06:34 AM
GreekChat Member

In my personal opinion, OP has been the only poster who has been rude in this thread so far. Many of us have dealt with balancing finances while in college. The OP asked a question and involved her family's personal situation, and we gave her the best advice we could based on the information provided. If that's not good enough, well, you got what you paid for it - it is free. There's no reason to get all up in arms. This was a pretty open and honest and thoughtful thread. There's no reason for OP to insult the members of GC and complain about the reactions given. They were very honest and up front.

Now I will go wait for the flounce to be followed up by a return visit after daughter goes through cuts.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:31 AM

I can understand that wanting to know what to expect when it comes to dues is important. I'm sure most of us will agree that it is important to find out, especially before joining a sorority, no matter which college you attend. However, like many other posters have said previously, set your budget high because now that she is going through recruitment, there is no way to know which sorority she is going to join if one at all. If she winds up getting a bid to a sorority that is less expensive then that's great. I hope your daughter finds her home in any one of the great sororities at Alabama.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by margretlee View Post

At least I do not have listed under my hobbies" Making fun of trashy, pretentious people", as Munchkin03 does. For heaven's sake. Yes I am "nameless and faceless" but so are you, Munchkin. I felt anonymnity was in order since it is the middle of the recruitment process, and it is obvious some people on here are involved in that process.

I hold no ill will, but respectfully ask that you please refrain from the rudeness. Isn't that one of the first rules in a sorority - to treat people with respect???
Wow. I haven't updated my profile in about 5 years; even then, it was an inside joke between me and people who rarely post on GC anymore.

I'm not being rude at all--if you read my second post, you'll see where I explained that it's not just "upper middle class" people feeling the brunt of this recession and having to make a decision between paying sorority dues and paying for books.

In before the flounce and lock!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
Would it be awful to ask her to get a small part-time job on campus to help with costs? I know at Ole Miss many sorority girls have small part-time jobs to help pay for t-shirts and things like that. It's not unheard of and I don't think she would be shunned or looked down upon if she had a small job. Just an idea.

ETA:

Money was never discussed at Ole Miss either. To my knowledge it is only discussed at Orientation during the summer. The averages on the PHC Website are rather low I think too.
off topic: my sister was a Phi Mu at Ole Miss! /backontopic
Old 08-12-2009, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

To the original poster: I can give you the costs of one of the houses that is old row. She lived in the house last year and this year so my comments are based on the actual costs we have paid. Nat. Dues, Local Dues, Housing, Meal Plan, $200 in her purchase account = $3400/semester. We have found that to be much cheaper that when she lived in Campus Housing.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I think I, and maybe some other gcers, were confused about what the intent of the original question was being used for. Was it for budgeting purposes or was it for mom to tell daughter "you need to rank XYZ and ABC lower because they cost too much." Which looks from the outside like sorority shopping based on cost. Also, I think posters were also concerned that should daughter accept a bid and then drop out because of finances, she may have taken the spot of someone who could afford it and was possibly left bidless.

To be honest, when I went through recruitment I know the costs were told to me in some parties, but probably if you asked me right after the party I wouldn't have remembered. As an 18 yr old I was far too concerned with making a good impression and learning about the sororities.

I think that this is a good thread for any panhellenic to see in this type of economy if they need to inform parents of correct costs prior to recruitment begining.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
To be honest, when I went through recruitment I know the costs were told to me in some parties, but probably if you asked me right after the party I wouldn't have remembered. As an 18 yr old I was far too concerned with making a good impression and learning about the sororities.

I think that this is a good thread for any panhellenic to see in this type of economy if they need to inform parents of correct costs prior to recruitment begining.
I definitely agree with your last statement! Costs were not discussed during my recuitment, and at school such as Bama (as with mine) it's considered taboo to ask about costs during rush parties. Unfortunately, it's just not something that you do.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

When I read the initial poster's thoughts, I felt she wanted to know total costs of each organization as she would be paying the bill. She appeared to me as if she was doing her research beforehand and felt what she was finding were extreme costs from low to high. I applaud her for being concerned and wanting to be ready to fulfill a contractual obligation. She is wise to be concerned and I wish many more people would be like that. I have witnessed so many poor instances when girls/moms/dads should have done more research. When people are not well informed it does hurt more than just that one member. It is a problem for the whole organization.

ITA with MaggieXi that panhellenic should see a thread like this. I feel in a good or bad economy people should be well informed. Of course, you can't account for every single penny that will be spent, but you can give a very solid figure for every organization based on the prior year. It can and should be made available for each group. It should be posted or readily available if anyone needs to reference it.

At the very least, maybe we can learn from this thread.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I can understand how the costs would be a concern. However, this question has been answered and people have even shared their own personal circumstances. Littleowl's situation is a great example of how our older children can respond in an adult manner to changing circumstances. (Littleowl- your parents have raised a smart girl!)

The poster from Bama who posted the price of approx. $3500.00 sounds quite realistic. This is what we paid (for living in the house) at a major university in neighboring Florida.

I can understand how you would be apprehensive about calling the Greek Life office and asking in the middle of rush. However, in this economy I don't think you would be the only one.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteflyersmom View Post
I can understand how you would be apprehensive about calling the Greek Life office and asking in the middle of rush. However, in this economy I don't think you would be the only one.
For heaven's sake, why? I don't think they're going to notify the sororities that Zsa Zsa's mom called about costs and they're going to freak out and cut her. I'm sure that the fwap fwap is in the air and this would be one of the LESS annoying calls they would get.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

if the op wanted to phone panhellenic, she wouldn't necessarily have to identify herself(or her daughter) by name.

however, i have a feeling that panhellenic would say that that information will come from the chapters. it is certainly worth a try though.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

It did seem to me also that if she found out that certain ones were much higher, she would have instructed her daughter to drop them. Perhaps that was not her intent but it came across that way to me - hence the "train has left the station" comment. I can't imagine a parent doing something like that to her child int he middle of recruitment.

She also asked what she would tell the 2 younger sisters when their turns come if they could not afford a group as expensive as their sister's. I don't feel we're qualified to answer that. We don't know the other girls and what they can handle,etc. And they may decide not to go thru recruitment when their turns come. It just seems to me that all this should have been decided before the young lady signed up for recruitment....not while she's in the midst of it.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

hijack/

I know in my org (and others that are similar), dues will change from year to year, but not by much ($10-50 tops). Do your (NPC) change dramatically from year to year (I'm sure this is a "varies by org" topic, but just in general)?

Also, couldn't someone ask a current member how much they were charged in dues (ex. I walk up to a KD active and ask if she could let me know approximately how much dues are)? Or is that taboo?

If this has already been answered, sorry. I don't want to go back and read through this thread.

/hijack

Old 08-12-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
hijack/

I know in my org (and others that are similar), dues will change from year to year, but not by much ($10-50 tops). Do your (NPC) change dramatically from year to year (I'm sure this is a "varies by org" topic, but just in general)?

Also, couldn't someone ask a current member how much they were charged in dues (ex. I walk up to a KD active and ask if she could let me know approximately how much dues are)? Or is that taboo?

If this has already been answered, sorry. I don't want to go back and read through this thread.

/hijack
National ASA (or KD or KKG or whoever) dues are the same at every chapter - the difference here is in the local chapter's dues and housing costs. There are probably NPC groups whose national dues are higher than other groups, and who have different sorts of payment plans, but that's not really what's creating the issue here.