GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Community Service / Philanthropy

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,196
1 members and 1,195 guests
g41965

Old 09-22-2012, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Community service project ideas?

I have to do some community service projects. What are some good ideas? I have a couple in mind, so I think I'm going to ask about them and go from there.

Thanks!!

Last edited by HopefulInterest; 09-22-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

It sounds like you're asking if doing this will count toward your GLO of interest's service requirements.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Try coming up with ideas among your interest group. Also, it's best not to discuss requirements for the organization of your interest on the Internet.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm currently my chapter's only official interest. The president and vice-president expect others to join me later on in the semester though.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are just looking for plain community service ideas, see about volunteering to help with tutoring at local schools, a battered women's shelter, or see about volunteer options at your own school (giving tours, helping with phoning alumni, etc).
Old 09-22-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulInterest View Post
I'm currently my chapter's only official interest. The president and vice-president expect others to join me later on in the semester though.
Then I would wait until the others join you, unless you want to be looked on as Steamroller Pledge.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Then I would wait until the others join you, unless you want to be looked on as Steamroller Pledge.
What does that mean?

Also, the president and vice-president told me that I should try and get through my requirements ASAP because the sooner that happens the better. They suggested a couple events that are actually happening later this month, but I can't do either of them because they conflict with other commitments I have.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

A few months late, but check with your local community center. I'm sure there is something there you can help out with.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Community Service!

Hey my name is Jordan. I am a student at Southern Utah University. This university has came up with ways for our students to stand out compared to others. We are required to get ourselves out of our normal comfort zones and in the end hope to have better opportunities upon graduation. The course we are required to take is a series called University. We are to create our own projects and carry through with them. I came up with a project that dealt with an assisted living here in our community. I recruited volunteers and we spent time volunteering at the assisted living. We met a few nights each week and spent a few hours with the residents. We played games like bingo and phase 10 with them. We also put on a talent show and they absolutely loved it. It was great getting to know the residents and they really enjoyed our company. Their faces lit up every time we came in. They were sad to see that we wouldn't be coming as often because they enjoyed having someone to talk to. I still have contact with a few of the residents and go visit on occasion. This project really helped me understand the importance of forgetting about myself and helping others. I think the volunteers that helped really enjoyed it and also felt the same way I do. I plan to do another project like this in the future.I really think it helps people look at life a little different to donate your time to helping others.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

What category in mind of community service do you need?