GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,443
1 members and 1,442 guests
No Members online

Old 03-14-2004, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Crush Party . . .

I thought this article was funny . . is this other people's experiencewith crush parties also ?

http://www.mustudentnews.com/031104/...tionship1.html

Crush Parties: Cesspools of Lies and Deceit
By Sara Lynne Farmer

In case you are not familiar with what a crush party is exactly, let me elaborate so as you may understand the rest of today’s installment. A crush party, usually an event put on by a Greek organization, is when members can choose a few persons of the opposite sex (of any background) that they have a “crush” on and would like to invite them to the party as to pursue their crush and get to know them just a little bit better. (Or, in the most favorable scenario, hook up.) Usually lists of these crushes are handed out at Greek houses or published in campus newspapers to alert the selected individuals to their lucky fortune.

Now, when I was a kid, (meaning underage/minor/not 21/lower classman), crush parties were very exciting. The beauty of this concept is that if one of us was invited, that meant that the girl who was REALLY invited couldn’t attend the party alone (duh), so the whole gang of us would head out to increase the odds for some lucky guy out there to get a piece of ass. Of course, the same theme applied for girls so that ratios would increase, making it “x” times more likely to find someone to eat face with later on that night.

If you enjoy a good soap opera or made-for-television-movie-mini-drama, I would strongly recommend that you crash a crush party at least once in your college years. Grab a frosty beverage and find a seat and just sit back and relax to observe the activity that transpires during one of these parties.

This is exactly what I did at a recent crush party that a slew of my freshmen/sophomore counterparts were attending. It also helped that I had taken my last test of the week that day, and would not have class until noon the next day, and it was the most promising option for that weeknight, so what else would I have done? Anyhow, let me just tell you exactly what I saw.

Therewere boyfriends grinding with other girls while their girlfriends were in attendance (with no prior permission). There were girlfriends making out with boys that I didn’t recognize as their boyfriends. There were people making out with people, (which isn’t too shocking), but then making out with a different person only a few songs later! And worst of all, there were girls with fake Louis Vuitton purses... oh wait, that happens everyday.

The worst is when you know the person who invited you, and then you see them reenacting the Nelly “Hot In Herrr” music video with 18 other girls. I know quite a few sweet and innocent young women who are just smitten with some asshole whose hopes and dreams of a better life are crushed when they view their man bending over some random. (Please note: use of the phrase “hopes and dreams of a better life” was intended for dramatic purposes and entertainment value only. Like some stupid boy could offer you that, maybe if we were pioneers.)

Now, the boys do get shafted too. I saw many a young man hang his head in disappointment and shame when the girl he thought he would be taking home later that night was lip-syncing Eamon’s “F-It (I Don’t Want You Back)” with his roommate (in a fairly friendly manner). And then... well, that’s about all I got for boys getting dicked over because it seems that there is always some other skeezy ho that will come around. With all the lies and deceit that seem to occur during a crush party, one would wonder why you would even attend one. Well, there is always that glimmer of hope that you might actually find your crush, have everything in common, talk late into the night about politics, life plans, etc., and fall in love and have lots of babies or at least just make out.

Although crush parties are basically a cesspool of lies and deceit, they can provide an alternative form of entertainment on night where you probably have nothing else better to do. There may be broken hearts, random make-outs, things that work out or disappointment, but damn... they’re a real good time.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-14-2004, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL I knew I shouldn't have posted that other article....Mizzou's journalists will be whored out all over this site.

In other news, actually yeah that sounds like a pretty accurate description, but more so of the crush parties that are thrown by like, 4 houses at once. If only your house throws it or you're with one other group, it's a pretty normal lil' shindig.