GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,349
3 members and 1,346 guests
John, PrettyBoy, Xidelt

Old 03-29-2001, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Question questions about pinning?

can someone explain what pinning is besides the giving of ones letters to another...i want to know what it MEANS in terms of where someone is in a relationship thanks
Old 06-03-2001, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Demon Knight Send a message via AIM to Demon Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Demon Knight
Hello I will try and explain what pinning is. First of all pinning isn't giving ones letters to another. Pinning is giving an individual the oppertunity to become apart of your brotherhood by learning and participating in the membership orientation program. By pinning an individual its like saying we like you and we want you to be apart of us. let me know if that helps

fraternally,
Ricky
Old 06-04-2001, 12:02 AM

simplejane -

I'm not sure which kind you are asking about so I'll tell you about both kinds.

When a sorority or fraternity has a "pinning" ceremony for its new members, it is basically a formal ceremony recognizing their pledgeship. These are usually done after bid day cause bid day's often pretty informal.

When a fraternity man pins his girlfriend, it is basically the step before becoming engaged to be married. It's very serious, because they are saying this girl means as much to them as the fraternity.
Old 07-10-2001, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

At my school, we call it lavaliering. You don't get your boyfriend's pin, but you get his letters on a chain. And it's a HUGE deal!

------------------
"Seek the noblest."
Zeta Love! <3
Old 07-11-2001, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
At my school you can either be lavaliered or pinned. Actually I was tossing around the idea of pinning my bf, but I'm not sure if he'd like the idea of being pinned by a sorority. Usually I have heard of only fraternity men pinning their girlfriends, but maybe this is only at my school?
Old 04-21-2010, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniegurl00 View Post
At my school you can either be lavaliered or pinned. Actually I was tossing around the idea of pinning my bf, but I'm not sure if he'd like the idea of being pinned by a sorority. Usually I have heard of only fraternity men pinning their girlfriends, but maybe this is only at my school?

As an International Officer of a NPC group, women NEVER give their pins to a BF no do they give their letters by giving a lavaliere either! Letters should stay within its members unless it is on a t-shirt associated with a function or philanthropy.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanatta View Post
As an International Officer of a NPC group, women in my sorority NEVER give their pins to a BF no do they give their letters by giving a lavaliere either! Letters of my sorority should only be worn by its members unless it is on a t-shirt associated with a function or philanthropy.
Fixed your post.

There are many national/international officers posting on here and if this was an NPC-wide rule, one of them would have piped up a long time ago.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanatta View Post
As an International Officer of an NPC group, I know that women in my sorority should NEVER give their pins to a BF, nor do they give their letters as a lavaliere! Letters of my sorority should by worn only by its members unless those letters are on a t-shirt associated with a function or philanthropy.
Fixed it a little more.

Really, I'm not one to take a red pen to any old random post, but if you're going to bump a 7-year old thread with a two sentence post in which you identify yourself an "International Officer of an NPC group," at least try for some correct grammar and accuracy.
Old 07-13-2001, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Actually, I've never heard about sororities pinning a fraternity. In other words, I think the guy does the pinning and not the other way around. But, hey, I'm just letting you know how we do it at my school. Does anyone else know of it being done the other way around?
Old 07-16-2001, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Lavaliering: When you give a girl a necklace with your letters, usually after a year of dating, guys lavalier his girlfriend, then we have a candle pass.

Pinning: After a lavalier, it's the step before engagement. You give her either your fraternity pin, or some fraternities, like DSP and Sigma Chi have female versions of the pin, just for this purpose. We had a girl get pinned, and it was so touching, it's such a HUGE deal, it rarely happens, since Lavaliering is more common. Some fraternities allow the wearing of letters after a girl is pinned, most don't. Our girl wears her pin from her boyfriend when she wears her Theta badge.
Old 10-31-2001, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Dejajeva
I think Lavaliering is the sweetest thing ever. I can't wait until one of our girls is Lavaliered, but I'm sure it's difficult, seeing as how none of them, except three of us, are dating fraternity guys.
lol

Jess
Old 10-31-2001, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Lavaliering is done only when the relationship is serious. I would hope no guy would just give away his letters...lol (even though I've been lavaliered twice) (twice's the charm)

I rarely see (at least so far) pinning. Lavaliering is usually pre-engagement...
Old 10-31-2001, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Yep twice is a charm. The second is always the best.
Old 10-31-2001, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jess_pom
Pinning

The way I always thought of pinning was that it was a step below engagement. Some fraternities don't lavalier, so they pin. If they do lavalier and pin, than it probably is a step below lavaliering.
Old 11-05-2001, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
From my understanding, it goes:

lavilier
pinning
engagement

for fraternities who do both.... (like theta xi)

our one sister just got pinned to A Phi O!