GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,628
0 members and 1,628 guests
No Members online

Old 02-15-2017, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

help :(

Hi guys! I just signed up today so I'm new to this bare with me
So I'm a freshman at indiana university bloomington. I ALWAYS have wanted to be in a sorority. Going into recruitment, honestly, I was nervous yet not getting a bid never crossed my mind. And guess what happened.....got dropped from EVERY house. I understand this happens a lot due to the fact there's so many girls rushing at IU. I just do not understand. Not to sound conceded AT ALL but I am a very social, outgoing, friendly girl and it is hard for me because I never ever anticipated not getting a bid. It was heartbreaking. All my friends had PERFECT rushes and everyone was shocked when I came back with nothing...my rho gam even thought it was a mistake at first. It is hard especially at IU with such a huge emphasis on greek life. It has been over a month since bid day and I still am feeling so lost and out of place. I really was looking forward to meeting new girls and establishing connections and I feel like I am really limited now. It seems like everyone only cares about the girls in their sorority, which I know I know not true at all but it feels like it. Not sure what to do. Anyone who rushed sophomore year at IU?
Old 02-16-2017, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

I am sorry. Did you have recs? How was your GPA? Did you keep yourself under the radar fall semester, i.e. Keep your nose clean, drank responsibly, didn't hookup with the boyfriend of a member? Did you join any orgs fall semesters? If not, have you this semester-especially one that might allow you to network with sorority membership, thus creating connections and possible friendships?

Have your friends invited you over to their houses for lunch or dinner? That would be helpful to you.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Ahhhhh. IU. There's a great IU 2017 recruitment thread here already.

What round did you get released? I thought there were several unhoused chapters that were doing COB?
Old 02-16-2017, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I am sorry. Did you have recs? How was your GPA? Did you keep yourself under the radar fall semester, i.e. Keep your nose clean, drank responsibly, didn't hookup with the boyfriend of a member? Did you join any orgs fall semesters? If not, have you this semester-especially one that might allow you to network with sorority membership, thus creating connections and possible friendships?

Have your friends invited you over to their houses for lunch or dinner? That would be helpful to you.
All very valid questions and I suspect the answers to those questions will help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post

What round did you get released? I thought there were several unhoused chapters that were doing COB?
wait.. who is this poster "IrishLake"? Do we know you? (posting smilies, thinking we'll next hear from thetygerlily)
Old 02-16-2017, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post

YES! I had recs to almost all houses, had a 3.7 gpa, and was super super super good first semester. I am a part of a lot of organizations too on campus.
And no honestly right now they are all pretty cliquey It sucks
Old 02-16-2017, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post

Lost a bunch (most I liked) right before 9 party and only had 4, had then preffed two houses and ended up with no bid
Old 02-16-2017, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Did you look into COB for any of the chapters that were doing COB? I know several were. Did you rank both of the houses that you preffed? If not, then you were not eligible to be a quota addition.
Sophomores do get bids at IU, but it is harder. There are women that go through recruitment again and do get a bid. But for now, I would encourage you to get more involved in the groups that you are already affiliated with, or find others that match your passions.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 02-16-2017, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasesage View Post
Lost a bunch (most I liked) right before 9 party and only had 4, had then preffed two houses and ended up with no bid
Did you list BOTH of your pref houses on your MRABA?
Old 02-17-2017, 08:00 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Good catch, thetalady.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Did you list BOTH of your pref houses on your MRABA?
That's what I was getting at. If she preffed 2 and didn't get a bid, logic says she SIPed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasesage View Post
...my rho gam even thought it was a mistake at first.
At first... but did she then realize you SIPed (aka suicide) and that's why you didn't get a bid even though you attended two preferences?
Old 02-21-2017, 12:44 PM

The rounds go from 9 to 3 possible prefs, but the FAQ looks like it wasn't changed from when there were only 2 prefs. It also doesn't mention that you have to list all your prefs to be certain of receiving a bid.

http://www.iupanhellenic.org/frequently-asked-questions
Old 02-21-2017, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The rounds go from 9 to 3 possible prefs, but the FAQ looks like it wasn't changed from when there were only 2 prefs. It also doesn't mention that you have to list all your prefs to be certain of receiving a bid.

http://www.iupanhellenic.org/frequently-asked-questions
IU is such an odd duck, I never know what happens on that campus... do they not use that part of the process? The FAQ page doesn't address SIP or the implications at all.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
IU is such an odd duck, I never know what happens on that campus... do they not use that part of the process? The FAQ page doesn't address SIP or the implications at all.
I think I already mentioned this, but you must list all chapters in order to be a QA.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 02-21-2017, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
I think I already mentioned this, but you must list all chapters in order to be a QA.
Thank you
Old 02-22-2017, 07:14 PM

On a non-Greek note, are you sure that "everyone at IU only cares about girls in their sorority?"

I say that because so often girls who did not receive bids will say "there is nothing to do here, everyone is Greek" when that is because it is the only thing THEY are focused on.

IU is the flagship university in Indiana. I can guarantee you that there are other opportunities for involvement.

I am not saying not to go through again next year. However, it may be worth it to get out of the Greek bubble and meet folks who are not involved in Greek Life.

Lakers Nation.