GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,462
5 members and 2,457 guests
Cookiez17, John, Tridentia

Old 09-28-2006, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippiechick View Post
Tell that to your favorite poster. Seems like the personal attacks come whenever someone disagrees with her.
Please see my post in the recently deleted threads thread regarding that.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
I don't play favorites, never have, never will. Same rules are applied across the board. Your opinion differs and I know and respect that difference.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLPDaisy View Post
Barbara, you're missing the point here. With all of the recent thread deletions going on here, people are starting to feel like we can't disagree with anyone on anything or else our posts will be deleted. You may think that you are encouraging us to express our opinions, but by creating two separate threads that basically just serve as a roll-call, you are only sending out the message that opposing opinions are inappropriate or aren't tolerated.
Agreed 100%

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 09-29-2006, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie View Post
The problem is that whether you're in favor of AI as a concept has nothing to do with Greekchat. I think AI is great in appropriate circumstances, but I think it's awful when freaks find out about it on GC and people encourage them. So I can't say whether I'm "pro" or "con" AI, because it depends on the situation.

I am opposed to having this forum on GC.
As an NPC "outsider" I agree also.

I don't think the process of pursuing AI should be discussed on GC any more than the process of pursuing membership at the collegiate level. Each org will have her own private rules for joining and they should not be discussed in public. When a 'freak' comes on here pushing her interests to AI into 'any org that will take her', then that is when the discussion gets hot.

I can understand why this is such a sensitive issue - no one wants their org perceived as the 'easy to AI into org'. I think this has been the crux of the whole NPC AI issue here on GC.

When you talk about membership, whether it is for collegiate membership or AI, it can become very sticky for a number of reasons. That is why it should not be discussed, or even hinted at on a public forum.

As I have been on GC over the years, I've come to appreciate the fact that the D9 mods will immediately close / delete threads concerning membership into a D9 org. You can scroll through the AKA and Delta forums on a daily basis and some weirdo has posted some question like 'I love you guys and obsess on becoming a member - what do I need to do to join your org'. Then the mods of each forum will direct the poster to the org's national website for membership information. I think if you did that here for NPC - AI, it will cut out all of this confusion and mess.

PT, as I am reading it, I don't think the issue is 'pro' v. 'con' AI. I think the issue is that people are very protective of who is allowed membership into their org.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie View Post
The problem is that whether you're in favor of AI as a concept has nothing to do with Greekchat. I think AI is great in appropriate circumstances, but I think it's awful when freaks find out about it on GC and people encourage them. So I can't say whether I'm "pro" or "con" AI, because it depends on the situation.

I am opposed to having this forum on GC.
Wordy McWord Word. WORD.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
I do not think "fulfilling a dream" and "contributing to an organization" are mutually exclusive in any way.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 09-29-2006, 07:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure which thread to post on either....

I'm completely against Sorority Shopping.
I'm for AI when the sorority member offers it to the PNAM, but not when the PNAM goes "seeking out" sorority members to bug about it.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, that I have less of a problem with, are women who were involved in a local in college (that hasn't been absorbed by an NPC), and now want a national tie. I still don't think that they should go sorority shopping, but if they have encountered a woman in an NPC, or an Alumna Chapter that stands out to them, I think they would be a good fit for AI in certain situations. They're obviously not trying to live out their college days as an active...they got the chance to do that, and know what that part of sorority life is about. They'd make decent advisors, because they HAVE been through the experience.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandia View Post
I do not think "fulfilling a dream" and "contributing to an organization" are mutually exclusive in any way.
No. But one is a reason that someone might be a good AI candidate (given that they meet OTHER criteria, like say...having a connection to that group), and the other is a ridiculous reason to pursue AI. I'll let everyone figure out which is which.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
And the funny thing is, I started a thread so that you could discuss the issue and noone has posted in it. Because they aren't interested or because I posted that personal attacks wouldn't be allowed? Only the Shadow knows for sure....

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippiechick View Post
I don't understand the goal of the pro and con threads. What good does it do to have people proclaim themselves to be pro or con ai? And, why do we have to separate the two into separate threads that cannot co-exist? This is the exact point of my threads. Debate is frowned upon. Why aren't people allowed to debate the issue? Why do we have to segregate them?
Exactly. I don't understand what will be accomplished. I don't even understand why it is necessary. It seems even more divisive and nasty than some of the other threads that have been deleted by the moderators. But, that is just my opinion and others are free to disagree.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesrising View Post
Can someone tell me which category I belong in, because I'm very confused...

I am an AI.
I think AI is a great way to have outstanding women join my organization, if my organization feels they deserve the honour.
I think if you know someone that would make a great member of your sorority, it's a great opportunity to involve them.
I think it's useful for people who's locals were absorbed by an NPC.
I don't think AI is a good thing to pursue on the internet.
I don't favour AI for people who are using it to fulfill a dream rather than contribute to an organization.
I don't think AI is a good fit for everyone.
I don't think AI advice should be freely given around GC.

Does that make me Pro or Anti AI??????
Good question, aries! You are always a voice of reason....
Old 09-29-2006, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkandGreenJ View Post
Exactly. I don't understand what will be accomplished. I don't even understand why it is necessary. It seems even more divisive and nasty than some of the other threads that have been deleted by the moderators. But, that is just my opinion and others are free to disagree.
Someone wants a "list" of Pro-AI people and Anti-AI people, so that when a PNAI comes on GC, and someone gives them advice (good bad or indifferent), we can point out "She's on the Anti-AI list, don't listen to her" or "She's Pro-AI, take her advice".

It also gives the mods a list of whose comments to seek out to delete. (Yes, I said it. Waiting for it to be deleted. Go ahead.)
Old 09-29-2006, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax View Post
There is no 'valid' or 'invallid' argument. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion. That is the only point.

You want to go ahead and start a thread to argue the point of pro vs con? Go ahead. As long as it doesn't get personal, the thread will stay put.
So the solution is to just make it personal so the whole trainwreck goes away............
Old 09-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB View Post
So the solution is to just make it personal so the whole trainwreck goes away............
Make what personal?
Old 09-29-2006, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I still want to understand the point of the pro/con threads. Is it just a roll call attempting to categorize opinions, which I think is futile because opinions on an issue like this are fluid and cannot easily be categorized? If there are more people posting in favor of con than pro, will this forum go away -- or if there are more pro than con posts, will this forum stay? What is the purpose?