GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,470
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, KetoXP
» Online Users: 2,272
0 members and 2,272 guests
No Members online

Old 09-28-2004, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Bar prep courses

Howdy all you GC lawyers and almost lawyers.

What bar prep courses did you take/are going to take?

I'm definately taking barbri, since they brainwashed us all into signing up first year. But i'm also going to do PMBR, and can't make up my mind if I want to do the 3 day intensified in February or the 6 day by subject over a good portion of my Christmas break (Dec. 26-31). The difference in money is over $300 between the two. My law school will also be offering prep stuff in Jan and Feb.

Any recommendations? Did any of you take PMBR?
Old 09-28-2004, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I took PMBR. You are really taking PMBR for the books, not for the course, unless it's changed a lot since 1999. I did each of my PMBR books three times, so my best advice about PMBR is write your answers on another sheet of paper, not in the books.

I also took Barbri. It was fine. A lot of my professors were the Barbri professors so it was kind of like home, but with a lot of other students there too.

My best bar advice is set a schedule for yourself (Barbri's model is a good guide) and stick to it. Reward yourself for your achievements and take breaks.

PM me if you have more questions.

Good luck!
Old 09-28-2004, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I also took PMBR and BarBri. PMBR was a few days before BarBri started, if I remember correctly. They were the most boring classes I've ever sat though and I didn't end up doing much with the books, but I can't say it hurt.

Everyone I knew did BarBri. The bad thing about it is that some of the instructors act like they know for sure what will or will not be on the exam -- they were right about some of it and wrong about some -- something they said would not be on was, so I wouldn't put too much faith in their ability to predict the exam. Also, if you get Michael Spak out there HE SUCKS.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice you two!

I actually just bought a bunch of the books and CDs from PMBR on ebay... actually a huge punch of stuff, not sure what all's in it, I didn't read that closely but there was a ton. All from the July 04 bar (multistate won't change much in a year). For around $100 bucks.

Any tips for motivation/staying on track and sticking with your schedule?

I'm TRYING (key word) to get my butt in gear a bit b/c i'm worried about passing (bar passage for PA came out today)... basically 1 in 4 doesn't pass.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I took Barbri and then I took PMBR right before the bar (I took the July bar and if I remember correctly PMBR was offered a few weeks before the exam, in addition to whatever earlier offering they had). I really thought PMBR put me over the edge and gave me the added confidence I needed as the bar approached! Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any further questions!
Old 01-04-2005, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RUgreek
I used PMBR and Pieper Bar Review. I'm a New York/New Jersey freak so I took both at the same time to spice up my summer of hell. The PMBR course has 2 programs, a 6-Day review and a 3-Day one. The 6 Day is worthless in my opinion if you are taking another bar course like Bar/Bri or whatever. The 3-Day however was worth the money to me. You take the hardest MBE practice exam and go over the questions. Good review and chances are that maybe some (very very few of course) will be seen on the actual exam.

As for my super prep course, Pieper was amazing. Some of my friends studied with Bar/Bri New York and said the video lectures sucked and was difficult to follow in the notes. This was just their opinion, so don't get scared, I hear Bar/Bri is still a great choice. I went with Pieper because of the reputation and uniformity of the DVD lectures. Same guy, same notetaking routine, it was easy to follow and understand the whole way through. Without sounding like a promoter for my course (and since you're probably not a New York taker), I'd leave you with my positive approvals of the review.

I hear some people go for MicroMash or PLI or something else that are home-study reviews. Personally I needed an in-class lecture to go to for me to stay on track all summer. Whatever you choose, make sure you follow the recommended study schedule; you've spent so much on applying to take it so don't let it go to waste. Good luck!

RUgreek