GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,470
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, KetoXP
» Online Users: 2,241
1 members and 2,240 guests
No Members online

Old 06-27-2009, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
Hah, the Google results were fraternities geared towards veterans. I was wondering which fraternities had strong military roots since Psi U MC Vito said he knew of some.
Oh, okay, I gotcha. I thought you answered your own question before you asked it. My bad.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

A sorority for U.S. Armed Forces Women:
http://www.sigmaphipsi.org

There was a "brother" fraternity, but I can't remember the name...any ideas?
Life Member Fall 2008
Be a Leader, Be a Friend, Be of Service
Old 06-28-2009, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII_LB93 View Post
The truth of the matter is that you are NOT a SigEp and should not have their fraternity name in your screen name.
Yup
Old 06-29-2009, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

SigEpLegacy,

Every day, I work with military students during the course of my professional employment at San Diego State University. In my experience, my vets have found positive and uplifting ways of connecting with one another, other students and the campus.

When he came to SDSU, one Marine vet felt he was lacking a connection with others who could identify with him. So, he took the initiative to form a campus club called the Student Veteran Organization (SVO). SVO is now going strong and makes a HUGE difference in the lives of our military students by offering camaraderie, support and service. They get prime billing at our campus Veterans Office and actually have a lot of clout. Do consider looking into forming this type of organization. More info here: http://www.svosdsu.org/

SVO is so squared away that they just got approved to offer on-campus housing exclusively for veterans. They will be occupying a vacant fraternity house on SDSU's Fraternity Row. Check it out here: http://www.sdsu.edu/veterans

So, yes, it is possible to find those connections you are seeking without necessarily needing a fraternity specifically for veterans.

If that's not enough, as others have suggested, it is possible to join a [regular] fraternity outright. I currently advise a fraternity chapter - the president is a Marine!

I hope some of this helps!

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 06-29-2009, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

You have a Veteran's Office? I find that to be a very good thing for a school to have.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
You have a Veteran's Office? I find that to be a very good thing for a school to have.
Are we thinking of the same thing? I am under the impression that a majority of institutions have an Veteran's Center/Office of Veterans Affairs operated by the college. I don't mean a satellite location of the actual U.S. Dept of Veterans Affairs.

We have a brand new website, here it is again! http://www.sdsu.edu/veterans

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 07-02-2009, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

No my school doesn't at all. Which is weird as we have an ROTC detachment and are a state operated school .
Old 09-02-2009, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

ok so check this out, all you fuckers that go to college and think that you are all legacy's and all this bullshit, listen up, it dont fuckin matter what you think you are. your in college, you partied at home growing up, maybe got in a little bit of trouble or you were sheltered and never done anything wrong in your life and the hardest thing you have had to deal with was learning how to wipe your own ass. you cant tell anything to that soldier, and you know why???....because he joined up, he did something, something that you wont even get off your fatass from the computer to go get a soda you have to ask your little pledges. you are the reason america is failing, no one wants to do work, you think that everyone is gonna give you everything..try working for a living, all you rich peices of shit that have money, you have no idea what its like to make your way up from nothing. and if your thinking to yourself, who the hell is this asshole?,, my name is chuck, and yes i am a combat vet from the 173rd airborne, we lost 44 guys in afghanistan last year. someshit like that happens in a hgih school or college... everyone flips shit and wears ribbons like it means something, maybe if you actually did something like kick that asian fuckers ass who killed those nice kids in virgina, maybe it wouldnt have happened, but you go about your meaningless lives, trying to make sense of the world you live in, but trust me. you can make up as many phallacies about yourself as you want but the fact of the matter is, you havent done shit for your country and talking to that veteran about how he is trying to single himself out.. shit.. women do the same thing, black people do the same thing, etc. etc. so next time you think about talking to a veteran, especially a young man who knows what freedom is..speak with respect and dignity to him, because unless you have experienced the type firefights and loss of life, you have no right to disrespect him.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Yeah, I got questions like that, too. It's because people are curious-we def. can't fault them for that. When someone asks, "So-what was Iraq like?" I say something like, "Hot!" or "Sandy!" That kind of lets them know that I don't want to talk about it. When people say, "Did you kill anyone?" I like to say, "You don't have the proper clearance for that information" because I was an Intelligence Analyst...lol...People will get the idea that it's not something you want them to harp on. Sure, I talked about it during rush but, then I would talk about my love for certain music or the fact that I love to travel. I also talked about being a double major and having a good GPA. Once you get passed the "Wow....you were in Iraq" you find that people are accepting of it. I really hate to say it this way but, honestly-as a Man-you have it much easier going through recruitment saying you are a war veteran than most women....it's a sexist remark and I'll probably get blasted for it...but, it really is true.

Men in the military are seen as "tough" and "cool"...whereas, women in the military are applauded but, unless you have family members who have/ are served/ serving-you might expect something else from an Army woman. If you could've seen the looks on the guys faces when I walked into the room after being bragged about for being a war vet-it was priceless. They said, "We didn't expect that at all." I was short, tan, had long hair, etc. They expected something totally different. They didn't expect such a "feminine" (in their words-not mine) looking war veteran. I'm glad I went through rush and it was the best experience of my life. I've met some great people in both my sorority and in others! I've met some great people on GreekChat that have given some great advice, as well.

So, if you can take my advice (and the advice of others) please change your username because I don't want to see people harassing you for being so ballsy. I think it's great you are a Legacy and I wish you the best of luck in recruitment/ rush (whatever it is they call it for the guys-sorry)!
what did you do in iraq, get fucked in porto john.. yeah you were there, but you cannot relate to seeing your friend wounded. you'd probably flip shit if someone ran over your cat. go eat a dick you pansy

"a real veteran"
Old 09-03-2009, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Too long, didn't read. Give me the cliff note version.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:05 AM
GreekChat Member

That was stupid.
And on the note of dumbass military men, a Marine (I believe) came up to our booth a few days ago at the Student Org Fair and completely blew us off.. but still put his name down as interested. I hope he doesn't actually expect someone to contact him. I can't even remember what he said, though... it's 3am.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post
Too long, didn't read. Give me the cliff note version.
"Chuck" thinks that we're all pansies because we sit at our computers while pledges bring us sodas and we shouldn't disrespect veterans who've seen real hardship and if we had Virginia Tech wouldn't have happened, obviously.

To "Chuck," I'm sorry you didn't get a bid.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

LOL @ the whack resurrection of this thread

How does someone who's so busy with offline and non-Greek events stumble upon GC?

And where was the "disrespect" in this thread? "Chuck" needs to go to hell lol

Old 09-03-2009, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeksrpansys View Post
ok so check this out, all you fuckers that go to college and think that you are all legacy's and all this bullshit, listen up, it dont fuckin matter what you think you are. your in college, you partied at home growing up, maybe got in a little bit of trouble or you were sheltered and never done anything wrong in your life and the hardest thing you have had to deal with was learning how to wipe your own ass. you cant tell anything to that soldier, and you know why???....because he joined up, he did something, something that you wont even get off your fatass from the computer to go get a soda you have to ask your little pledges. you are the reason america is failing, no one wants to do work, you think that everyone is gonna give you everything..try working for a living, all you rich peices of shit that have money, you have no idea what its like to make your way up from nothing. and if your thinking to yourself, who the hell is this asshole?,, my name is chuck, and yes i am a combat vet from the 173rd airborne, we lost 44 guys in afghanistan last year. someshit like that happens in a hgih school or college... everyone flips shit and wears ribbons like it means something, maybe if you actually did something like kick that asian fuckers ass who killed those nice kids in virgina, maybe it wouldnt have happened, but you go about your meaningless lives, trying to make sense of the world you live in, but trust me. you can make up as many phallacies about yourself as you want but the fact of the matter is, you havent done shit for your country and talking to that veteran about how he is trying to single himself out.. shit.. women do the same thing, black people do the same thing, etc. etc. so next time you think about talking to a veteran, especially a young man who knows what freedom is..speak with respect and dignity to him, because unless you have experienced the type firefights and loss of life, you have no right to disrespect him.
==================================================

Last time I looked the reason we soldiers signed up to an all volunteer service was so we could SERVE our country and PROTECT the people who live in it. I was not aware that being a veteran gave anyone the right to lay general disrespect on everyone else. I was not aware that garbage mouth was the hallmark of one who had seen real action. I was not aware that getting shot at was the ONLY way one could serve his country. What exactly gives you the right to come off like a holier than thou bigot? Do you think you are the only soldier who has seen combat. Or, do you believe all soldiers always perform courageously and honorably and all civilians are wastes of skin? Just for the record, when I was earning my spurs the hard way a high percentage of the officers I served with when forward deployed were college educated Fraternity men.
When I got back and returned to law school I was surprised but very pleased to see how many of my fellow students were fraternity men and combat veterans. And, also just for the record, I paid my dues resulting in some letters you should recognize:
SS, BS'V' and OLC, PH, ACM'V' and OLC, ABN, plus all the other 'been there buttons' and REMF medals.
I am damned proud of my service in the regular army and I stay qualified in the USAR but I sure as hell don't believe in cheapening my service by using it as a bully pulpit.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ dekeguy is just plain all-around awesome.