GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,508
0 members and 2,508 guests
No Members online

Old 12-26-2001, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Texas at Austin

Ok, ok. I've read about all the other schools and sororities. Does anyone go to UT or know someone who does? Personally, I think the Greek system at UT is kinda screwy, but still a great place to pledge. Am I wrong or just biased b/c I've got family ties to the University & Greek system?

What are your thoughts? Anyone? Anyone?

Maybe I should be a little more specific: What does anyone think of the sororities at UT? There are 14 of them.

AXO
ADPi
AEPhi
AZD
APhi
XO
Tri Delt
DG
Theta
KD
Kappa
Pi Phi
SDT
Zeta

Last edited by crandazzo3x; 12-26-2001 at 03:21 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-26-2001, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I had 2 friends from hs pledge Chi O at UT, and another pledged Kappa. All three are great girls-friendly, down to earth-they seemed very representitave of their chapters.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd definitely recommend that you check out their Greek Life page - click here.

I really don't know much about UT-Austin except that I hear it's lots of fun to be Greek there! Also, George W. Bush's daughter Jenna is a Kappa Alpha Theta there (but who doesn't know that?), and ZTA Day in Texas always has a great turnout. The Texas ZTA's are very successful and raise the most money of any state in the country (SC is second!!) for ZTA's foundation and philanthropy. Hope this helps a little!
Old 12-28-2001, 01:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sue_XO Send a message via Yahoo to Sue_XO
I really liked their greek life page- a lot of information with the listing of g.p.a and dues. I feel that if the university supports a quality greek life section for their website- the greek life must be strong at the school.
Old 12-29-2001, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Being at school near Austin, and always partying in Austin with my buddies up there that are in fraternities. I would have say that they have a pretty good greek system, it could be alot better. They have alot of fraternities and sororities. But you have to keep in mind that UT is a very large school, rich in tradition along with their athletic programs, and greek life isnt like a main spectrum on campus, though as far as I know all the fraternities and sororities have pretty good numbers. But I'm not sure about the quality of the greek life there. The sororities probably do alot better than the fraternities. But there alot of different organizations there to choose from. And as far as the website, I dont think it is very helpful at all, it lacks alot.
Old 12-31-2001, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kristiAZD
My aunt was a Zeta there and loved it. She graduated about 10 yrs. ago, but she still goes down and visits the house every once and awhile. She said that some of her best memories are from there.
Old 12-31-2001, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

One of my daughter's friends pledged ADPi this fall. The system is like all other large, SOUTHERN systems, very competitive and rich with political/historical connections. Her uncle holds an upper level state position in Tx. I know she had connections to AXO and XO, but never heard the details of her rush. She appears to be very happy.

When I went there, BRIEFLY, it was so different from UofH. Just like so many others have stated, when you have a strong Greek system, it's hard to find a sorority that isn't good. There is SO MUCH MONEY, let me repeat THERE IS SO MUCH MONEY!!!! Sometimes things ARE out of touch with what the average income is. Parents would buy their kids ORANGE cars!!! (Like A&M and LSU)

Austin is so wonderful though. It has a very creative atmosphere
and the music scene is so strong. You can readily find other venues through which one can grow.

Bad press in Austin is very democratic. One day its the Greeks, the next day the athletes get it. Let's not forget those"pot-head, weed smokin' stoneheads"...they catch hell too.

kristiAZD-Texas and ZTA, a strong combination!
Old 01-01-2002, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I have helped out with rush at the AXO chapter a couple of times. Rush is very competitive between the houses. From what I understand greek life is very big on campus.

I think it is odd though that many girls don't have crests and letters on their cars. At A&M we always had letters or if you were initiated a crest with letters and during rush every sorority shoepolished there car with letters-it was almost like a competition to see how many cars had XYZ's letters on it. UT does not do this, I think they should-it is great advertisement.

Some of my family memebers were greek at UT, cousin/aunt were thetas and uncle DTD. Ditto to JAM statements-lots of money to go around

Last edited by aggieAXO; 01-01-2002 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-01-2002, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

There is some discussion of the UT sororities on page 2 of the LSU rush thread --

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...5&pagenumber=1
Old 02-09-2002, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Can anyone tell me what DG is like at UT Austin? I'm thinking of going there for graduate school, and I'd love to know more about the DGs . . . what's their reputation in Texas, more specifically, UT? Thanks!