GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,387
1 members and 1,386 guests
FSUZeta

Old 08-25-2001, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to prospectiverushee
Unhappy

Justamom,

I am so sorry about what happened to your daughter. But maybe everything worked out the way it was suppose to. Now that I know that it was LSU (I'm a former student) I think I have a pretty good idea which sorority it may be. I do urge you to contact the Greek Affairs Office. There are a lot of PNM's that came to this board looking for advice. If they read things like this,then it may put the wrong idea in their heads about LSU and the Greek System in general
Old 08-25-2001, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Justamom,

I know it's not wise to name the house that hurt your daughter, and many of us found our homes at our 2nd & even 3rd choice houses. Don't feel bad about being honest with your feelings or the fact that your daughter is where she is. She is where she was meant to be and she is happy, that's all that matters.

Anywho - the gist of this message is...TELL US YOUR DAUGHTER'S HOUSE, WE'RE DYING OVER HERE! Some of us have gained sisters tonight - one of whom is your daughter and we want to wish her well.

Barbara
Alumna & Rush Forum Moderator
Old 08-25-2001, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

OK- I want you fortunate sisters to know what a beautiful, intelligent, compasionate, virtuous and honest new member you have. She is loved by all those who know her and admired for her beauty both inside and out. She will bring honor to your chapter and a bit of a devilish prankster into your midst. I proudly introduce to you,( a tribute to the 4 Seasons------
"RAG DOLL")
MY DAUGHTER A DELTA GAMMA PLEDGE!!!!!

There you have it. I am a sucker when given an opportunity to brag on my offspring!

Prospectiverushee and Juniorgirl...a special message to you "Thanks".
Old 08-25-2001, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Congratulations!

Old 08-25-2001, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to cutetiger Send a message via AIM to cutetiger Send a message via Yahoo to cutetiger
CONGRATS!

DG's are one of the best one's on campus. She definitely made the right choice. Best of luck to her.

B.
Old 08-25-2001, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Talking

Yayyyyy! She picked a fabulous group with a great national reputation! I really hope she's swept up into sorority life and adores every second!

And how did the others from your hometown fare? Did most of the legacies find a home?

I left you a message!
Old 08-25-2001, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOPIHottie Send a message via Yahoo to AOPIHottie
Talking

Justamom,

Congrats to your daughter, we all here at GC wish her a wonderful fall semester with her new sisters, and we welcome a beautiful young woman into our Greek sisterhood, because we are ALL sisters!! Delta Gamma is lucky to have her
Old 08-25-2001, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
Congratulations on your daughter being a DG!

The Delta Gammas on my campus are so cool. Whenever my sorority does a dual-sorority crush party or other similar event, we almost always ask DG to pair up with us since they are just a great group of girls, and so fun and down to earth!!!!!

The school I transferred from before I went greek (SMU) also has a great group of DG's. They were always classy, sincere, and REAL. Way to go!

PS: at LSU do they put a big sign on each girl's dorm room door that indicates which sorority she got? They did that at SMU but not here at U of H and I always thought it was WAY cute! The Delta Gammas got a big glittery anchor on their door
Old 08-25-2001, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to prospectiverushee
Quote:
Originally posted by dzsaigirl

PS: at LSU do they put a big sign on each girl's dorm room door that indicates which sorority she got? They did that at SMU but not here at U of H and I always thought it was WAY cute! The Delta Gammas got a big glittery anchor on their door
dzsaigirl,

Yes LSU put's signs on the doors. I lived in Hegret(one of two dorms closest to the row) and lived next to sorority girls. I can't remember if they were Chi-O or KKG. All I remember is seeing a red chili pepper.
Old 08-25-2001, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Thumbs up

Woo Hoo, congratulations Delta Gammas...sounds like you've got a great new pledge!

Side Note: Justamom, while we love you and your awesome updates, tell your daughter we'd love to see her presence on GC too!
Old 08-25-2001, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Gosh, I finally figured out how to work the mesages. How wonderful, thank you all. My daughter frequented this board for a lengthy amount of time, now I know why. I haven't spent this much time on line since we signed up for our internet service.

To answer questions--Our area was full of legacies to one sorority in particular. I don't know why, but if any remained, I haven't heard of them yet. My daughter described them as "hard looking." It was at the first party so when she said there was something about them that made her feel really uncomfortable, I let it go. I was a bit shocked because they are considered to be a strong sorority. What happened, I think, is every girl starts out thinking "Who will I cut?" They don't realize it doesn't work that way in this environment. They were pretty open about who they liked and didn't so embarrassment may have come into play. Afterall, who wants to be in a sorority that everyone "hates". They may have declined too quickly. Add to that what I stated about legacies getting cut hard right out of the shoot. I would love to hear a wrap up by the sororities on campus that stated where they may have gone wrong. There were 3 in particular that turned a great many girls off at the start. Maybe everyone was a tad too confident at the start. Anyway, I appreciate and will convey to my daughter your good wishes. I too must thank everyone. My husband has been listening to this stuff for far too long. It helped so much to be able to let this out.
Old 08-26-2001, 04:12 AM
GreekChat Member

This is where it's all at! I am so glad your daughter is happy! She has had an amazing attitude about the whole thing, and it is wonderful that she got into Delta Gamma! Send my congratulations her way!!!
Old 08-26-2001, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to you and your daughter! It sounds as if Delta Gamma has found itself a wonderful new pledge!
Old 08-26-2001, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TxGirl
legacy cuts

Many chapters have requirements to releasing legacies, one is that they must be released by a certain round. This may have been the reason for such a hard legacy cut. Another reason could be the number of legacies the individual chapter had going through - especially if the number was equal to or greater than quota. Or it could be that the chapters were blind.

In regards to the bid promising your daughter experienced - PLEASE, I beg you, get your daughter to report it. It is the only way to stop it. I have absolutely no respect for a chapter that would do this - even if it were one of my own. I'm glad your daughter was able to see them for what they really were.

For all the women who have not started the recruitment process -this is a great lesson in keeping an open mind. It also should make everyone see that no one person can speak for the entire chapter - SO DON'T BELIEVE THEM if they promise you a bid. Make your choice based on who you want to share your best and worst college moments with; the women you would want to have as bridesmaids; the women you will keep in contact with long after your college days.

Being in a sorority should be about making friends - membership is for life. It should not be about who has the best mixers, the funniest skits or who is considered good on your campus. I should hope that all of you join to find a sisterhood, a home away from home and lifelong friendship.

So, as all the others before me this is my advise - keep an open mind, don't be afraid to go your own way and give all the groups (large and small) a chance.

I now step off of my soap box.
Old 08-27-2001, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to the new DG! The DGs are very sweet, genuine girls. They were always one of my favorite houses.

Justamom, would you mind emailing me with some of the more sordid details of rush this year? I've been through it TWICE so I pretty much know the seedy underbelly of things. I think I know which house did the dirty rush. I'm also dying to know who didn't make quota....If they need another girl, I'll fill in Oh wait, I'm too old for them

Anyway, my email is juniorgrrl@hotmail.com