GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,812
2 members and 1,810 guests
naraht, PGD-GRAD

Old 08-04-2002, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Does that count?

Ok.. first a disclaimer for all those who think every thread about "sorority life" is mean and negative : This thread was not formed an any way, shape or form to be mean and negative to the Greek community and/or the "Sorority Life" people.

I was surfing the SAEII site just to see what their take was on the whole feedback from the show, and found that says :
"April '02 - Sigma Has Highest G.P.A. of all UCD Panhellenic Sororities for the FIFTH Quarter in a Row!!! "

Since they consider themselves "local" are they included in the NPC G.P.A's etc? Just wondering.
Old 08-04-2002, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
The are considered because they are an associate member of Panhellenic.
Old 08-04-2002, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Just wondering how they became an associate of NPC? I've heard they have only been around for 4 years.. and have heard of locals with other chapters that have been around for 20+ years?
Old 08-04-2002, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
they're an associate member of a local panhellenic NOT npc. basically the panhellenic on their individual campus invited them to be associates not NPC as a whole.

marissa
A GD
Old 08-04-2002, 09:54 PM

They're associate members of the UC Davis Panhellenic Council. Associate membership is often extended to local sororities or NPC sororities' new-member colonies. It's a "voice but no vote" position, and the associate member group is excluded from officer rotation.
Old 08-04-2002, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

cool thanks for clarifying

edited to include: I was just wondering because the locals here have to follow NPC rules for recruitment etc. etc.

Last edited by texas*princess; 08-05-2002 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum
They're associate members of the UC Davis Panhellenic Council. Associate membership is often extended to local sororities or NPC sororities' new-member colonies. It's a "voice but no vote" position, and the associate member group is excluded from officer rotation.
When I was in college, we had a local sorority as a member of our campus panhellenic. They were included in officer rotation and could vote. In fact during my junior or senior year (I forget which), their sister was the chair of the campus panhel. Maybe things have changed in the last few years.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

From my limited knowledge, any campus w/ two NPC's can create a Panhell and locals can be invited to join. i guess they aren't bound but they can be easily removed. isn't it partially up to the campus panhell? That's kinda what i know, we wanted to form panhell cause we were having trouble getting the frats to do anything, but the local wouldn't be bound by anything so it became pointless.
Tau love
Lil E
Old 08-05-2002, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

According to Green Book rules, any campus that has two NPCs must create a Panhellenic Council. Local sororities are welcome to join the Panhellenic, they are allowed a vote (at least they were on my campus!), but are excluded from officer rotation.

And yes, a local may choose to leave Panhellenic at any time. We had that happen once on my campus, too. It wasn't pretty.
Old 08-05-2002, 02:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Because they are an associate member of Panhellenic, does this mean that they must follow the recruitment rules set forth by NPC?
Old 08-05-2002, 07:57 AM
GreekChat Member

My local sorority is a member of our Panhel and we get to vote and we hold chairs. Since we do participate in formal and informal recruitment with NPC sororities we do follow NPC recruitment guidelines aka the "Green Book".
Old 08-05-2002, 08:29 AM

Maybe things are different from campus to campus, then. When my local sorority was an associate member of Panhel, we were not included in officer rotation nor were we given a vote.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SATX*APhi
Because they are an associate member of Panhellenic, does this mean that they must follow the recruitment rules set forth by NPC?
Yes, if they are an associate member, they are obliged to follow the NPC recruitment rules (Quota, Total, COB, snap bids, etc.).
Old 08-05-2002, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Ya know....If they were a national sorority, no one would say bad things about them. Its just because they aren't your letters is why you don't like them. They seem to be founded on good principals. But I wonder if anyone at UC Davis is a Sigma Alpha Epislon or Alpha Epsilon Pi and that confusses the guys during rush...like they think its coed or whatever. Plus Jordan needs a hug. I'd give her one.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

On our campus we have 2 NPC colonies and 1 local. We haven't set up a Panhellenic Council yet (I'm guessing we will do that after the colonies have become chapters?) however, but have got copies of the "recruitment rules" for the fall semester. Our Greek Advisor pretty much just said the local sorority would have to follow them also (including quotas, totals, etc.) The local never got a choice whether they were going to have to follow them or not so I'm guessing they are automatically going to be an associate memeber of the Council when it is formed