GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 2,475
0 members and 2,475 guests
No Members online

Old 08-31-2009, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing as a Senior

I went through recruitment as an underclassman and got dropped. I'm seriously considering rushing my senior year. Advice?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-31-2009, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

What kind of advice are you looking for?
Old 08-31-2009, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

What to expect/how to handle questions of "why are you rushing as a senior/again" etc.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
I think it'd be a waste of time.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senoritis10 View Post
I went through recruitment as an underclassman and got dropped. I'm seriously considering rushing my senior year. Advice?
If you (1) are already feeling burnt out on college as your username may suggest, (2) have previously been dropped by all chapters on your current campus, and (3) have not made any personal improvements that might make you more attractive to chapter memberships (increased grades, extracurricular involvement, etc.) I personally wouldn't want to put myself through recruitment again.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:26 PM

Your chances will also be different depending on your campus and how competitive NPC recruitment is there.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you planning on going through formal rush or informal, possibly with a sorority or two with members you already know? That will make a great deal of difference. (I successfully rushed as a junior, but went through informal.)
Old 08-31-2009, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I go to a relatively non competitive school and last year we had a senior go through and everyone was kind of like . She did end up joining a sorority, but from what I heard through the grapevine, rush was not easy for her at all.

so... good luck?
Old 08-31-2009, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Chances are, you're going to be cut from most of the houses, but if there is a smaller house on campus or a new sorority just coming onto campus (colony) those would be your best bet.

I'd say go through if you want, but understand that regardless of how fabulous you are, most just won't take you. And I'd say make yourself aware of COB or informal rush opportunities. Houses who are looking to fill slots in their membership may be more open to a 1 year member.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. Positive or negative, it would be helpful for other women who have asked the same type of questions.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:38 PM

I'll be honest, recruitment is not going to be easy for you, as a senior. I don't think my school has a particularly competitive recruitment, and I only remember a couple of seniors getting bids.

In those cases, they were girls who had NEVER rushed before, were transfers who had like 2 years left, and they had alot of friends in a couple of chapterrs.

A senior who was released last year is likely to have a rough time. Good luck.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senoritis10 View Post

Ok legitimate question- why do you want to go through recruitment now? What do you think you will get out of a sorority that you will be an active member of for approximately 6 months? If you have a REALLY GOOD answer, you might have a shot. But personally...I was always suspicious that the seniors going through recruitment had alterior motives.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:52 PM

I could see a senior who is a transfer and will likley be at the school for another 2 years going through recruitment, but not a senior who will be graduating in May.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I could see a senior who is a transfer and will likley be at the school for another 2 years going through recruitment, but not a senior who will be graduating in May.
Then that student isn't senior - you'd be something like a 4th year student. Its similar to freshman =/= first-year student, because they could be a transfer student, or a freshman with sophomore standing.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas City View Post
If you (1) are already feeling burnt out on college as your username may suggest
I thought the username meant she was burnt out with Spanish class.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown View Post
Ok legitimate question- why do you want to go through recruitment now? What do you think you will get out of a sorority that you will be an active member of for approximately 6 months? If you have a REALLY GOOD answer, you might have a shot. But personally...I was always suspicious that the seniors going through recruitment had alterior motives.

While I know I won't be an active member for as long as an incoming freshman, I have relocated permanently to my college's town as there are schools with professional programs in my major within driving distance. I will be around as an alum, and I plan to be involved.

Several friends of mine are Greeks and I share the sentiment that it's not 4 years, it's for life.