GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,283
1 members and 2,282 guests
Sciencewoman

Old 08-16-2007, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

1st Encounter with Delta and greek Life...Hilarious!

Okay this one is for my Sistergreeks of Delta Sigma Theta. I hope it makes you laugh.

I had no idea at the time that I would become a member of any sorority but my first greek encounter was with Delta...and what an encounter it was. Whenever I think about this story, I laugh (almost out loud) because it was so funny and embarassing for me at the same time. I have never told anyone this story but I want to share it with you and the rest of gc because I think I'm over it now.

Anyway, for most of my high school years I didn't know anything about the NPHC orgs or anything about greek life in general but in 12th grade all of that would change. Towards the end of my senior year (1991) my best friend and I decided that we were too mature and became disenchanted with the house parties that our peers were throwing so we wanted to try something new. We first started to frequent this 18 and older non-alcoholic club in the downtown area of Philly and then we heard that college kids threw parties at the YMCA not far from Temple University's campus. One night we decided to go to a party that the Deltas from Temple were throwing there but we had no idea who the Deltas were at the time or anything about greek orgs; we just wanted to party. The party goers were mostly Temple students but it was open to the public so we were able to get in.

Anyway, once inside we started to have a good time dancing, watching all the college kids, and looking at the different groups doing their party strolls. We still had no idea who these groups were; we just assumed they were a part of some college club or something. We heard all of these different calls and thought these groups were doing what we did in the neighborhood. In Philly, many of the urban neighborhoods have calls. So when the Deltas did their call we thought it sounded a lot like the call we did in our neighborhood to represent the North side but it sounded a little different so we thought it was a new one that just the college kids were doing. So since we wanted to fit in with the college kids, we started to do it too. We were just a OO-OOping it up when one of the Deltas tapped me on the shoulder (while I was dancing) and smiled and then whispered in my ear..."Please don't do that...that's our sorority call".... I looked around and noticed that only the Deltas were doing the call and was immediately embarassed, so I said "uh...I'm so sorry" and my friend had the face too when she realized we weren't supposed to be doing that. But the Delta was nice and went back to strolling with her sorors like nothing happened. My friend and I then looked at eachother with the face and went back to dancing. We had no ideas at that time about one day going greek but when I went to college and saw NPHC greeks on campus for the first time, I had to laugh to myself.

Last edited by rhoyaltempest; 08-16-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-16-2007, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mulattogyrl Send a message via Yahoo to mulattogyrl
LOL!!

It's a jungle out there.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dzdst796
That is FUNNY!!
Old 08-16-2007, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

awww..... I'm glad the Delta was nice to y'all, some others would have been unnecessarily mean

ZΦB
Old 08-16-2007, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosoul View Post
awww..... I'm glad the Delta was nice to y'all, some others would have been unnecessarily mean
I know, but they knew we weren't college kids and we didn't know any better although I'm sure this wouldn't have mattered to some people.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to spr06diva
I too have a similar story but mine is with the SGRhos. Growing up (and even into the 1st half of my freshman yr of college) I knew nothing about NPHC greek life. I went to a predominately white university so the black greek population was quite small. But one day, during homecoming, my home girl and an acquaintance (who happen to be an upper classman) where hanging out and the acquaintance made this really high pitch sound that I had neverrrrrr heard before. It was so random and unexpected that it caught me off so my naďve behind repeated it and as like “ ee-yip, whats that?” My friend instead of explain to me what it was (cuz she knew better) was like “OOO, She’s not suppose to do that. Is she?” to the other girl. And the girl rolled her eyes at me and with such attitude was like “NO shes not” and turned around and LEFT. She never explained to me why not and that it dealt with her sorority. My friend had to explain the problem to me. That just left a bad taste in my mouth because I honestly didn’t know any better & meant no disrespect and I felt like she could have handled the situation better.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mulattogyrl Send a message via Yahoo to mulattogyrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by spr06diva View Post
I too have a similar story
But the difference is our sistergreek was able to laugh at her own mistake.

It's a jungle out there.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kiml122
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
Okay this one is for my Sistergreeks of Delta Sigma Theta. I hope it makes you laugh.

In Philly, many of the urban neighborhoods have calls. So when the Deltas did their call we thought it sounded a lot like the call we did in our neighborhood to represent the North side but it sounded a little different so we thought it was a new one that just the college kids were doing.
This is quite funny, and what part of north Philly are you from? I'm from Philly and it's nice to see someone else from the illadelph up in this piece.

Be Breezy - Calvin from "House of Payne"
Old 08-31-2007, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiml122 View Post
This is quite funny, and what part of north Philly are you from? I'm from Philly and it's nice to see someone else from the illadelph up in this piece.
I've lived in more than one neighborhood in North Philly (among other places in and outside of Philly) but I was born at 13th and Lehigh and spent the most time at 28th and Newkirk (around the corner from 30th & Lehigh). I currently live in Upper Darby.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I've lived in more than one neighborhood in North Philly (among other places in and outside of Philly) but I was born at 13th and Lehigh and spent the most time at 28th and Newkirk (around the corner from 30th & Lehigh). I currently live in Upper Darby.
Small world. I grew up at 32nd & York
Old 09-01-2007, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

It really is a small world...

I was born and raised in West Philly (52nd & Market). I currently work in Upper Darby.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Small world indeed. As a child, I spent some weekends with extended family in West Philly - 55th & Masters? (I think)

I don't want nobody to give me nothin. Open up a door, I'll get it myself!! (The late, great James Brown)
Old 09-03-2007, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kiml122
Quote:

I lived at 24th and Lehigh for about 4 years....very small world. I have been living life in Willow Grove for years now.

Be Breezy - Calvin from "House of Payne"