GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,359
1 members and 1,358 guests
TLLK

Old 02-09-2001, 01:24 PM

Question NPC sororities whose formal name is "Fraternity"

Hello to the ladies who are members of NPC sororities. I have a topic that I'd like to discuss. As we know, there are 26 groups in the NPC. Generally in conversation, we refer to them as "sororities" (so that everyone knows we're talking about women's groups).

However, some are formally called "something fraternity" and some are called "something sorority":
For example:
Alpha Gamma Delta Fraternity
Delta Gamma Fraternity
Alpha Phi Fraternity

and then there's:
Gamma Phi Beta Sorority
Sigma Kappa Sorority
Delta Zeta Sorority

I'm aware of the origins of the word "sorority" being first coined for Gamma Phi Beta, etc.,
At the time of the founding of most of the older women's fraternities, the Greek derivative phratres of phratria, meaning tribes or groups of people with similar interests and backgrounds, was the basis for the title, fraternity. No doubt, because the women's organizations were modeled in many ways after the older men's groups, the women simply used the title fraternity, too.

And now, my question:
I realize that a lot of NPC groups were founded before the word "sorority" was invented. However, if you are in an NPC group that is formally referred to as a "fraternity", have you ever wished or wondered whether your own NPC-GLO would change the name so that it would be more obvious to outsiders that it is a women's organization (i.e. call it "something sorority" officially)
Or would that considered disrespectful to the founders of your GLO, etc.?

Please let me assure you that I don't mean any disrespect with this question and I am looking forward to an open, honest and respectful discussion. Thank you!

Old 02-09-2001, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Good question! I get that a lot, too, because Chi Omega is a Fraternity. I prefer that, actually, because the origins of the word do have a very deep meaning that is reflected in the group. It is felt by some that the meaning of sorority is not so "deep" and does not reflect the commitment of our group (scholastics, community service and brotherhood [i.e. sisterhood for women]). But, sororities at the time, we are told, was a word for just a group of women who threw tea-parties. Whether that's true or not, it is the saying, if you know what I mean.

Secondly, I also like fraternity because it's less sexist. Too bad fraternity has such a bad connotation to so many in the modern world, but I like it because it implies that women can have the same kind of group as men. Fraternity doesn't have to mean men. Women can have fraternal feelings toward one another, too.

In sum, it has been my feeling in many aspects of the fraternity world that women's groups that call themselves fraternity see themselves as more distinugished than groups that call themselves sororities. Again, no offense to anyone, just being honest about what I have heard over the last 10 years or so.
Old 02-09-2001, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I personally like being a "fraternity." I correct people when they refer to Chi Omega as a sorority. I think it just depends on your heritage. I agree with SuperXO - it seems less sexist, by implying that we are equal. "Fraternity" can also mean kinship and friendship. Also, one of Chi Omega's founders was a man. I just think that if depends on the heritage of each GLO. I've never had a problem with people looking at me funny because of my fraternity... if they ask, I just explain. But for the record, I don't want us to change, and I don't think that we ever will!

Allie
Old 02-09-2001, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HeidiHo
I don't see the point in changing it, really. If someone asks why its called a fraternity, I just tell them Chi O was founded before the word sorority came into use. People who don't know much about GLOs think, in my experience, that older=better, so Chi O must be very prestigious. works for me...
Heidi
Old 02-09-2001, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

From what I understand a Beta helped found Kappa Alpha Theta too. I was told by a Theta once that a Beta did help found Kappa Alpha Theta.

Kevin

[This message has been edited by Miami1839 (edited February 15, 2001).]
Old 02-10-2001, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi CutiePie! What an interesting question!

My sorority, Alpha Chi Omega, is actually also a Fraternity! It doesn't bother me one bit, and I hope that my national officers never consider changing it - it reminds me of our founding and the chapter's heritage.

The only times it ever becomes an issue:
1) when someone sees it on my resume, and I just explain to the asker.
2) when we sing rush songs! A couple of the songs that AXO sings on Pref Night are decades old, and when the lyrics mention "our Fraternity", the song group in our house switched it to "sorority", so as not to confuse potential new members.
Old 02-10-2001, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi yall...yet another Chi-O to speak her mind on this topic (lol)
First I would like a list (if possible) who is known as a sorority and who as a fraternity?
Secondly, Texas Alum: We too have the word fraternity mentioned in our songs and to be honest with ya, I've NEVER noticed a problem with it. I do agree with the vast majority...that it is representative to our heritage (Texas Alum) and I wouldn't want it to be changed at all!
Funny enough (and a little OFF the subject) my interpersonal communication class delt with the topic of gender language. It was almost unanimous when we discussed titles (such as mailman, policeman...) that the females prefered keeping the "man" portion of the title. Personally I agreed because I felt it more segregating and demeaning if I were to be called a mailwoman or policewoman. Perhaps this is opening a can of worms...but I think the same applies to why I like my GLO being a fraternity. I have nothing against "sorority" but in this day and age I'd be angered to hear about Nationals changing it to sorority. I suppose the same would apply if we were a sorority and then changing to fraternity (just to be politically correct).
Ahhh, what do you all think?!?!

------------------
What do you get when you cross an Alpha Omicron Pi and a Sigma Phi Epsilon? A beautiful Chi Omega!
~Love ya mom & dad
Old 02-10-2001, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi everybody,
are you really sure that the word "fraternity" is not derived from the latin word "frater" which means "brother", or the french word "fraternite' ", which means brotherly love???

Maybe the male greeks could help here....

[This message has been edited by matthewg (edited February 10, 2001).]
Old 02-10-2001, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Alum:
Hi CutiePie! What an interesting question!

My sorority, Alpha Chi Omega, is actually also a Fraternity! It doesn't bother me one bit, and I hope that my national officers never consider changing it - it reminds me of our founding and the chapter's heritage.

The only times it ever becomes an issue:
1) when someone sees it on my resume, and I just explain to the asker.
2) when we sing rush songs! A couple of the songs that AXO sings on Pref Night are decades old, and when the lyrics mention "our Fraternity", the song group in our house switched it to "sorority", so as not to confuse potential new members.
In resumes and whatnot, I've always put "Alpha Chi Omega Fraternity for Women". A mouthful, yes. But very short compared to what my actual major is. For some reason, I think that most of the sororities founded before either Gamma Phi or Pi Phi all have the name "fraternity". The word "sorority" was coined by a professor for that specific group.
Old 02-10-2001, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, Pi Phi is a fraternity!
Old 02-10-2001, 10:41 PM

Zeta Tau Alpha is a fraternity also.
Old 02-10-2001, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by matthewg:
Hi everybody,
are you really sure that the word "fraternity" has nothing to do with the latin word "frater" which means "brother", or the french word "fraternite' ", which means brotherly love???

I'm almost sure it does. The latin word for sister is soror, and for brother it is frater.

Old 02-11-2001, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Gamma Delta is a fraternity and I know that Phi Mu is also a fraternity. I think that it confuses many potential new members, but in the end they see it for what it is, a group of women, not men. It is no more confusing then when I went through rush, I couldn't figure out why these people were calling each other sisters since they weren't related... two years later I love all of my sisters!!! Oddly enough AGD's founders were all women but a man did help in the beginning and I read that Chi O had the same thing, I wonder if this is true for all of them?
Old 02-11-2001, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Most sororities were founded by women only. I guess, just now, we are finding out that men helped found some of them, too.
Old 02-11-2001, 04:48 PM

I think on most sororities' websites that are fraternities (confusing mouthfull) they usually either word it as "fraternity for women" or the imagery is feminine enough that people figure out it's not guys.

I know when I put APO on my resume, I always write out "Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity." It's long and some people probably think it's pretentious sounding, but it answers questions right away: 1) it's a national org and 2) it's a service not social org.

As far as the women's orgs being called fraternity vs sorority - what the org does is the important thing - whether it's a "sorority" or "fraternity" the purpose is to uplift and strengthen young women. As long as that is accomplished either name is something to be proud of!