GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,442
0 members and 1,442 guests
No Members online

Old 01-02-2013, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
ABC working for XYZ headquarters...

It seems to be very common these days for members of one GLO to be working for the head quarters (or whatever your GLO calls it) of another GLO.

For example, an ABC serving as director of communications for XYZ.

Thoughts?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 PM

Our Marketing Department was headed by a DG until recently when she moved on to other things. Her new job is actually doing the same thing for Delta Upsilon.

One of our Assistant Directors once worked in Collegiate Services for Theta Chi. So, it happens.

I'd prefer for all of our positions that involve working with our chapters and collegians to be Tri Sigmas (and they are) but we've hired outside of the sorority in other departments.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa's Executive Director is an Alpha Phi.

While it would be ideal to have internal members in HQ roles, I'd rather have someone qualified- and just being a member does not qualify you for a job. Just like being Macy's best customer doesn't mean you have any customer service skills, or complaining about Facebook's latest feed sorting methods or privacy updates doesn't make you a software developer.

I think it's a really easy gut reaction to say "but she isn't one of ours!" but at the end of the day, it is a paid job just like any other. I think that all else equal, being a member makes you more qualified than a non-member and being Greek in general makes you more qualified than not being Greek. Is it mandatory? No... but it's certainly ideal if you can find the right person who also has the rest of the required experience, skills, & culture fit.

I would say the same goes for Greek advisers in colleges. My school had two fantastic non-Greek advisers when I was there, and both self-admittedly said that it would've helped them in certain situations had they been Greek themselves. However, the rest of their work experience and personalities made up for it.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
I think it's a really easy gut reaction to say "but she isn't one of ours!" but at the end of the day, it is a paid job just like any other. I think that all else equal, being a member makes you more qualified than a non-member and being Greek in general makes you more qualified than not being Greek. Is it mandatory? No...
Well, that depends on the job description. If a GLO expects an Executive Director to have any ritual functions (say, for example, a role in charterings), then it would be mandatory.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

A few years ago, the AGD Executive Director was a Theta (I think.)

There have been other groups on staff as well.

I wonder if I could get a job at the Phi Mu HQ about 10 miles from my house?

Oh wait..we want to move somewhere else, lol.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

When I was younger, I used to worry about this--"What about the secrets?" Only now they're all out there on the web plus as you age, you tend to lose interest in other groups' secrets. If you've worked in Greek life, you tend to know tons of them anyway.

So, yeah, I can see it.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Well, that depends on the job description. If a GLO expects an Executive Director to have any ritual functions (say, for example, a role in charterings), then it would be mandatory.
Agreed- but that's different from a purely administrative role. We have a President who is the face of everything (including things like chartering) and our Executive Director is more of a business person who keeps things running. Or at least that's how I understand it
Old 01-02-2013, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

We're a young organization with an executive director. We've decided institutionally that it won't be mandatory for office staff to be members of the organization. The executive director happens to be a member, the external relations coordinator is not.

Our collective organizational experience (with three NPHC members and an APO member on the board) has led us to lean that way.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

AOII's Foundation Director is a Gamma Phi Beta and is fabulous. She took over from an AOII that was not a good fit after our long term director, an Alpha Xi Delta retired. We also have a lovely Chi Omega that works for the Foundation. I talk to her on a regular basis and wish she was an AOII. The other full time Foundation employee is an AOII. I don't think we have any non-AOII HQ staff anymore (other than a male employee.)

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-02-2013, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

As I posted back in October, our Collegiate Services Coordinator is an ADPi, and our Recruitment & Extension Coordinator - the sorority's first, in fact - is a Pi Phi.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=122841

Our advisors don't have to be members, and some of them are actually (male) fraternity members.

I have no problem with it. I think it promotes Panhellenic/Greek unity and cooperation. Non-members are not permitted to attend ritual events, so that might make things a little more difficult (more so within chapters; probably not so much at national conventions), but I think it's great to get good help from wherever possible.

@~/~~~~
Old 01-02-2013, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDLynn View Post
A few years ago, the AGD Executive Director was a Theta (I think.)

There have been other groups on staff as well.
Yes, the former Executive Director is a Theta. We have had other groups on staff at times. We have a man working at IHQ also, in finance. These are primarily business operations positions. We have had several unaffiliated women working at our IHQ and some of those have become AIs, which is always so cool

As carnation said, I think the longer you're involved, the more you realize that the groups are more alike than not.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
As carnation said, I think the longer you're involved, the more you realize that the groups are more alike than not.
We have several HQ staff who belong to other NPC groups and NIC groups. We also have a few who are not affiliated working mainly in the accounting dept.

When it comes down to it, and you get past all the externals - colors, badges, symbols, flowers, unique traditions, etc., we have a common set of values. I'd rather have someone who has pledged themselves to those ideals working for us rather than someone who is clueless about the whole GLO experience. Of course, in a perfect world, I'd want them to be a member of our organization, but I have been very impressed with the members of other organizations who work at our HQ. And it makes for a fun NPC Badge Day!

Last edited by nyapbp; 01-03-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
I know at DG, we have a Phi Mu (working in communications & PR) and a Delta Zeta (on the house corporation team) and I've had a lovely experience working with both of them. It just opened my eyes to how similar we all really are.

Somewhat related though, I am a little sad that all of the NPC organizations have sold out to companies like GIN. They definitely have provided useful services, etc. (and probably in the most const effective way) but I do miss the uniqueness of each group's web site, etc. Now every group has a similar brand, etc. I thought it was so neat when I joined DG that a DG developed and maintained our international web site - it just reinforced the idea that I had some super talented sisters in all kinds of career fields. Just a little bittersweet.

Last edited by WhiteDaisy128; 01-03-2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: wrong title
Old 01-03-2013, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDaisy128 View Post
I know at DG, we have a Phi Mu (working in communications & PR) and a Delta Zeta (heading up our house corporation) and I've had a lovely experience working with both of them. It just opened my eyes to how similar we all really are.

Somewhat related though, I am a little sad that all of the NPC organizations have sold out to companies like GIN. They definitely have provided useful services, etc. (and probably in the most const effective way) but I do miss the uniqueness of each group's web site, etc. Now every group has a similar brand, etc. I thought it was so neat when I joined DG that a DG developed and maintained our international web site - it just reinforced the idea that I had some super talented sisters in all kinds of career fields. Just a little bittersweet.
I agree. We have Groopt now, and they annoy all of us.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=WhiteDaisy128;2196126]I know at DG, we have a Phi Mu (working in communications & PR) and a Delta Zeta (heading up our house corporation) and I've had a lovely experience working with both of them. It just opened my eyes to how similar we all really are.

QUOTE]

I'm not aware of a DZ in FHC. The two Directors are definitely DGs, also. Not sure who what you mean by "heading up our house corporation."