GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,272
1 members and 2,271 guests
Sister Havana
Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Yep! Living in a house can be a combo of fun, friendships and the Real Housewives. ; )
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-19-2014, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUHoosiergirl88 View Post
They'll definitely go back to the normal recruitment pattern (21-12-8-3) next year, this year was just compressed because of the movement of 21 party and then weather impact
While that's great for next year, doesn't help soften the impact to this year's PNMs. The amount of hours in a day were unfair and had to have an affect on rushing. It would be interesting to see when the invited 3 party PNMs met with the sororities they were asked back to. I wouldn't be surprised if a large majority where at the beginning and very few from the 9:25-10:10pm time slot.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom64 View Post
While that's great for next year, doesn't help soften the impact to this year's PNMs. The amount of hours in a day were unfair and had to have an affect on rushing. It would be interesting to see when the invited 3 party PNMs met with the sororities they were asked back to. I wouldn't be surprised if a large majority where at the beginning and very few from the 9:25-10:10pm time slot.
They're split as evenly as possible to make the parties smaller--so if ABC can invite back 400 girls, they're split roughly 400/4 or 100 girls/party. Sometimes you end up with 125 in one round and 75 in another, but it all is relatively even. In addition, sometimes our first party was our smallest one, so don't read into that in the least.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmapsimom View Post
My daughter is finishing too. She is leaning towards no preffing, but maybe the party will change her mind. She actually likes one of the unhoused sororities, but felt no house was a deal breaker. Maybe they will change her mind, but I don't think she can handle the thought of more rejection.

I actually feel sorry for the sisters of the unhoused sororities. Many girls are dropping rather than go to their parties and that's not fair to them. I was a Rush Chair and I know how much hard work us put into rush and in a way by girls dropping today, the sisters are being rejected. These chapters need houses to fairly compete. Does the university have any houses they can rent to them?
No, they don't. Fraternities compete for the available fraternity houses, and a sorority would not want to rent a house and then have to give it back in 2 years when that fraternity returns to campus.

ETA: They really don't need a house to 'fairly compete'--there will always be girls who will drop them because an unhoused chapter doesn't provide the true sorority experience (in their eyes), and there will always be girls who want to pledge them because they like the idea of no house OR because they truly connect with those women.

Last edited by IUHoosiergirl88; 01-19-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

The houses at IU are lovely, but this thread almost makes you wish for suites a la Penn State.

I wish everyone the best at Prefs!
Old 01-19-2014, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUHoosiergirl88 View Post
They're split as evenly as possible to make the parties smaller--so if ABC can invite back 400 girls, they're split roughly 400/4 or 100 girls/party. Sometimes you end up with 125 in one round and 75 in another, but it all is relatively even. In addition, sometimes our first party was our smallest one, so don't read into that in the least.
It's not so much about the size but the amount of time the PNMs have been going to houses. My daughter started at 9:00am and finished at 10:10pm besides a lunch break and a 45 minute break (where she rode the bus around because there was no where convenient to stay warm) had to "be on".

The actives had to be exhausted as well. Not too sure how after 12+ hours decision making can be made with a totally clear head.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom64 View Post
My daughter is also devastated. 2 unhoused and a house she claims she is not interested in at all. [...] I find it hard to believe that meeting girls for 45 minutes two times is an accurate way to judge whether they're a good fit.
Surely you see the irony here?
Old 01-19-2014, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Can someone tell me if it's true that if girls don't preference or rank after pref parties, they are not allowed to informal rush for a full year?
If a woman does not sign an MRABA after preference, she is eligible for informal rush. That said, though I'm not terrible familiar with the campus, I think most of the chapters with houses will make quota and be over total, so informal rush is an unlikely way to get a bid to a housed chapter.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I really feel for all the PNMs out there today. Can we just add this to the list of reasons why deferred recruitment is not such a great idea?

Maybe an October recruitment would give the girls a chance to meet people and not tempt fate with weather?
Old 01-19-2014, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Having been through the recruitment process myself, I totally get what you're saying, but you can't compare recruitment at IU with any other school's recruitment experience.

It's not a matter of not being happy with Hufflepuff. Hufflepuff has a house. She doesn't see an unhoused sorority as a sorority it feels like more a club.
Thanks.

I am currently advising a unhoused sorority at a campus that ONLY has unhoused sororities. I'm sure that the Greek ladies here would be glad to hear that they aren't really a sorority.

Last edited by KDCat; 01-19-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree that disposing of bed rush would resolve the issue, but my understanding is that pretty much would take an act of Congress (and we know how well that works these days!), hence my musings.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
Thanks.

I am currently advising a unhoused sorority at a campus that ONLY has unhoused sororities. I'm sure that the Greek ladies here would be glad to hear that they aren't really a sorority.
Amen. Took the words right out of my mouth
Old 01-19-2014, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
I really feel for all the PNMs out there today. Can we just add this to the list of reasons why deferred recruitment is not such a great idea?

Maybe an October recruitment would give the girls a chance to meet people and not tempt fate with weather?
We tried a split recruitment in the past, with then 19 party being around Halloween and then the rest of recruitment after Christmas, and then 19 party moved to just after Thanksgiving. There's just not much of a good solution, unfortunately. They moved 21 party to post-Christmas for academic reasons, and now everyone is up their rears because of this situation. Can't win
Old 01-19-2014, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Last year there was a pnm at IU who ended up joining one of the unhoused sororities after some reluctance. I can't locate the thread since I'm on my phone, but it is out there if someone does a search.
And fwiw, I don't think this is a deferred recruitment problem. Many campuses have deferred recruitment and do just fine. I think this grueling schedule, quick reduction in the number of parties and bed quota is an Indiana problem.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

There are a number of schools -- particularly with the recent explosion of expansions -- where there are housed and unhoused and "underhoused" chapters. There are chapters with dorm floors and chapters on the same campus without. There are chapters where the pathway to competitive housing is pretty striaghtforward and where it is not. Almost every -- if not all -- NPC groups have chapters where the housing situation is not optimal, but all of them work hard to ensure a vibrant, quality experience for their members. It's hard, but if 18 year-olds can just look past the physical housing ...
Closed Thread