GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,300
2 members and 2,298 guests
No Members online

Old 10-10-2006, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

The chapter I advised for the past 4 years did a couple of things:
Round 1 (Open House) - for many years this was red & white badge attire. Anything the women wanted that was pure red and pure white - dressy pants or skirts and blouses or dresses, patterns or not as the member chose. It looked very classy, too, and stood out because the other houses did jeans and t-shirts/polos. This year they did shades of light blue and turquoise and white instead, and again it looked great!

Round 2 (Philanthropy) - everyone wore t-shirts that matched the theme of the day, which has alternated between the beach and the red carpet. The bottoms have gone back and forth between jeans and black pants. No micro-minis, though.

Round 3 (Preference) - black dresses (no cleavage, no strapless, no spaghetti straps), nude hose, black dress shoes, badge & lavalier, no watches.

Bid Day - bid day t-shirts and jeans (skirt, shorts, capris, pants).

Many years ago, when I was in school somewhere else, we did this:
Round 1 - matching t-shirts and khaki pants.
Round 2 - costumes for the theme of the party (poodle skirts most often).
Round 3 (Preference) - red dresses, black dress shoes, nude hose, pearls, badge.
Bid Day - Letters and jeans
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-16-2006, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool Holy crap this is long...sorry!

When I was an active (fall 01-spring 05) we were really strict about rush clothing. Typically it went like this:

Go Greek/16-party day: Panhel issued t-shirts, every house got tshirts in a certain color with their letters on the front and a design on the back, which listed all the sororities and usually had a cute saying of some kind. Competition over colors was usually fierce since Panhel randomly picked 13 colors and then each house would draw a number to decide what order they picked their shirt color. Pink was always chosen first and the ugly colors like moss green (which we unfortunately had my junior. year ) were the last to go. My senior year we had light pink shirts with hot pink writing, LOVED those! And last year when I helped as an alum (2005 recruitment) they had black with hot pink/magenta-ish writing, also cute! Each house then decided on what they would wear on the bottom, usually a denim, khaki, or white skirt. My house bulk ordered whatever we chose from places like American Eagle, Gap, Old Navy, etc. to make sure we all matched. We also bulk ordered Phi Mu flip flops, or another type of flip-flop to wear.

Skit/9-Party Day: For this day we wore black and white outfits with a hot pink accessory, such as earrings, a belt, a scarf, etc. The outfits were to be dressy, like nice capri pants and a nice top, or a nice dress. Also had to wear black heels on this day. People in the skit obviously wore their costumes.

House tours/Philanthropy/5-Party Day: The theme for this day was (and still is) "Phi Mu of the Caribbean" and we all wore the same t-shirt that the day chair had designed. My favorite year was when they were bright blue with a picture of an island with palm trees on the back which said "We went looking for treasure and found Phi Mu!" and said "Phi Mu of the Caribbean" on the front. We wore those with light khaki American Eagle skirts (bulk ordered again) and bright blue J Crew flip flops that were the exact same shade as the shirt. That was my junior year, senior year we switched to red tshirts with black writing and wore black capri pants and black flip-flops.

Pref Day: For the first two years while I was active we all had to wear the EXACT SAME BLACK DRESS. It was a nightmare. They were so ugly and uncomfortable, not to mention expensive after I got mine tailored to actually fit. We also had to wear the exact same black heels as one another, plus pearls or our lavaliers and our badges. The shoes were open-toed so that meant no nailpolish except something extremely light and not noticeable. We looked like clones, not cool at all. Finally my senior year we were allowed to wear "approved" black cocktail dresses and our own black heels. I chose this year to wear a really cute pair of black, strappy Steve Madden shoes that had a silver ring on the top (hard to explain but they were cute). SUCH A BAD IDEA. After standing on the front porch in 90 degree heat, sun blazing down on me all day, that stupid silver ring burned into my foot. I still have faint scars from that, so awful.

BID DAY: We all wore our bid day tshirts which were exactly like the new Phi's shirts, except ours were different colored. Theirs usually got to be pink , while ours were white, black, or whatever color (light blue one year, eww). We wore these with denim skirts, of our own choice, and the black Phi Mu flip flops we all had.

Our recruitment, as you can tell, was pretty strict while I was active. I know now they're getting away from that so people can be more "themselves" but I didn't ever really mind getting the stuff. We would always bulk order skirts, tshirts, and shoes (flip flops, heels, and even matching tennis shoes one year! ) because when there are 170+ girls in your house you can't really count on being able to show people what they should get and expecting everyone to come back with things that all looked at least somewhat similar, or at least "meshed well" together. Even though it might seem extreme to some people, it was really the only way to make sure we didn't look like a big jumbled mess. Slightly different outfits, or denim color, or skirt colors, or whatever can look cute when there are 20 or 30 of you. But when there are so many girls, plus alums (who also dressed like us), 200 people in 200 different outfits looks kind of sloppy.

Ok, sorry this was way too long and probably boring, I'm done now!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVU alpha phi View Post
In regards to door chants in stilettos, I'm a little confused. Our door chants basically consist of all of us crowding around the door cheering and chanting, we aren't moving around or jumping up and door or anything. Can someone tell me what door chants people are referring to that would be difficult in stilettos?
Well I know that we were all over our house-hanging out second floor windows, some dancing (note: "hoe down" silly dancing, not REAL choreography or anything) on the porch, and some bouncing while cheering. In the first rounds, we line up along our staircase, so stomping and leaning over the banister is involved...just not something I would consider doing in heels!
Kappa Alpha Theta "The Fraternity was always second in my mind to coeducation. It was organized to help the girls win out in their fight to stay in college on a man's campus. We had to make a place for women in a man's world, and the Fraternity was one means to that bigger end." -Bettie Locke Hamilton
Old 10-17-2006, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Keep in mind that I joined in 1993, so times have definitely changed (the year I "rushed" was the last year of lawn chants and being able to take the flowers with you that were presented during preference)

For our recruitment, we wore:

Open Houses- Floral Dresses with dressy sandals (no flip-flops) and our badge

First Parties- Cardinal Red dresses with hose & heels and our badge

Second Parties (skit night)- we had a Brady Bunch theme so we were all in '70s clothes (and if it was "dressy" 70s, then our badge)

Preference-Black dresses with black hose & heels and our badge

Bid Day- various block letter "bid day" tee shirts, each year the new member class was given them, and you wore them on the subsequent bid days (so you could tell what active was in what new member class)
Old 10-17-2006, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDMafia
Day 1: Open Houses: Everyone wore jean's and then the panhellenic greek shirt. It used to be the same one for every sorority but my senior year they personalized. So ours was green with a teddy bear on it while the KKGs was blue with a key, etc.

Day 2 & 3: Philantrophy Day: We wore jean skirts one year and black pants the next and with it we wore fitted black shirts with our letters embroidered on it in hot pink. They were really sharp but ran really small. I always wear a medium comfortably and it fit me like a corset...but they looked slimming...

Day 3: Skit: Black pants and usually a fun colorful dress shirt, although this past year I think they all wore black pants and white shirts. Plus any skit costumes.

Day 4: Pref: A black dress (that must be approved of course...not too much boobies) there were not real restrictions on jewelry but everyone knew to go low key. And shoes were black and formal, not hooker boots

Bid Day: Jeans and our bid day t-shirts.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Round 1- Red shirts with black and white stitched letters, denim knee length skirts and black flip flops. We were to wear silver accessories.
Round 2- Blue or white V Neck tops, black gauchos, and black strappy heels. Silver accessories. Blue or Silver sash.
Round 3- White wrap shirts with black tank tops underneath, black pants and black close toed heels. Silver or gold accessories.
Round 4- Black coctail dresses, pearls or lavalier, and black heels.
Bid Day- Bid day t-shirts with our letters, and any bottoms.

Badges were worn every night after open house.

Last edited by AOIINewbie; 10-28-2006 at 05:55 PM. Reason: to add bid day attire
Old 10-28-2006, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

This is what we wore my senior year (Fall 2004)

Round One- Ice Water Teas
We had matching Panhellenic t-shirts (each sorority had them but in different colors and the sorority's letters on the pocket area) that had the panhellenic logo on the back with the sorority spelled out underneath (Delta Gamma, for instance). Ours were black with hot pink writing. We had jean skirts with pink ribbon belts and matching black sandals.

Round Two- Philanthropy Day
We wore matching polo shirts, but in different colors (you could chose a white, pink or blue polo) with an anchor embrodered on it. Jean cuffed capris, fabric belts (that matched whatever color your embrodered anchor was) and matching flip flops with the greek DG on the straps.

Round Three- Skit Day
We wore matching fitted red t-shirts with our first name embrodered in black on the pocket area, a black skirt or black pants and black high heels and black jewelry (our choosing).

Round Four- Preference
We wore black dresses (had to be sleeveless) with a strand of pearls, black heels and our badges.

Bid Day
Sundresses with our badges.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lbk_kpd
My campus doesn't have a lot of regulations as far as dress code for GLO members during recruitment, with the exception of Rho Gammas, who have to all wear matching shirts. Within each organization, though, groups are given full license to do as they please. This past fall we had an 80's-MTV theme for Recruitment, so we had matching shirts made up with a retro MTV logo. We all wore them during Round Robin with any bottom and accessories (most girls elected for something with a little 80's flair, like a demin skirt and leggings and some hoop earrings), and then were allowed to wear those shirts or any other shirt with letters throughout the rest of the week's events. Preference night we wore all white- dresses, pants and tops, or skirts and tops- didn't matter, but had to be completely white. Bid night we dressed however we wished, but all very nicely.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:25 AM
GreekChat Member

hey, I found illustrations!

Last year, here's what we wore:

Round 1 / Fall Parties--KD jerseys, black dress pants, black boots, nametag, silver jewelry:

Round 2 / Slideshow Day--Black KD polos (with little roses on them), dark blue jeans, black boots, nametag, silver jewelry:

Round 3 / Skit Day--Unless you had a costume for the skit, you wore a black cocktail dress, silver jewelry, nametag, and black heels:

Round 4 / Pref Day--Black matching dresses, gold jewelry, gold nametag, black heels, pearl necklace:

Bid Day: Sunday/business attire, pin.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyPenguin View Post
Doing door chants is entirely possible in heels.
I second that.