GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,517
0 members and 2,517 guests
No Members online

Old 12-19-2002, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

The Green Book

For Panhel Chairs and Recruitment Counselors--

Does it make your head spin, too? I was reading it (I'm Panhel Pres this year, which, because my school is small, makes me a Rho Chi too), and I almost got a headache, especially when I read the part about bid matching. Gah! I'm so glad I have a tiny Panhellenic!

Our Recruitment starts Super Bowl Sunday! Yee-haw!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-19-2002, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Bid matching only hurts the first 20 times you do it! Congratulations on becoming Panhel President!

honeychile
Old 12-19-2002, 01:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Get the computer for bid matching, and the headaches go away slowly
Old 12-19-2002, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Bidmatching is done by alumnae, not collegiates so you're off the hook there. (It's acutally fun to do with a small greek system.)
Old 12-19-2002, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

alumni don't help us!

We have an "invitation committee" (ie-cut committee) and those 4 people, the president and our advisor do the lists. They decide who is on the first list and who is on the second and third and so on-based on chapter voting and what ever. Then the matching is easy:
Say Suzie Q is our #1 girl. If she put us first on her bid card-she's ours. If she put Phi Mu first and Phi Mu put her first too, she goes Phi Mu. If we put her on the first list and Phi Mu put her on the second list, but Suzie put Phi Mu first-she goes Phi Mu. We try to give the Rushee's their first choices if they are on the sororities first or second list. If a girl is third list to everyone, we bid match her later.-we set quota low enough for everyone to take quota. So the girls are added later to the best match possible. Like I said, we just try to match people best we can. But if you invite someone to pref, you are accepting the possibility that girl may become your sister.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

i'm phc pres. as president-elect last year, i helped out w/ matching. although we have guarenteed bid, we still use the computer to do most of the matching. then we go in and place the girls that were dropped. having an advisor who knows whats going on helps a lot.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Re: alumni don't help us!

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Violet
We have an "invitation committee" (ie-cut committee) and those 4 people, the president and our advisor do the lists. They decide who is on the first list and who is on the second and third and so on-based on chapter voting and what ever. Then the matching is easy:
Say Suzie Q is our #1 girl. If she put us first on her bid card-she's ours. If she put Phi Mu first and Phi Mu put her first too, she goes Phi Mu. If we put her on the first list and Phi Mu put her on the second list, but Suzie put Phi Mu first-she goes Phi Mu. We try to give the Rushee's their first choices if they are on the sororities first or second list. If a girl is third list to everyone, we bid match her later.-we set quota low enough for everyone to take quota. So the girls are added later to the best match possible. Like I said, we just try to match people best we can. But if you invite someone to pref, you are accepting the possibility that girl may become your sister.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but in the italicized part, Suzie only goes Phi Mu on a second round of matching.

First round of bid matching: all the pnm's first choices are tried to match to the first list.

Second round: Those who have not yet made quota try to match pnm's first choices to second lists.

Third round: Pnm's second choices are matched to lists (first or second)

Fourth round: If there is someone who has not yet received a bid from her preferred choices, and if everyone's as matched as possible, a chapter who has reached quota but not total can bid up to 10% over quota.

At least, that's how we did it. A computer is good up until that last part - then you really do need the human touch of not wanting to turn someone away from the greek system.

honeychile
Old 12-19-2002, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

First I want to say congratulations from one Panhel President to another. I too am the president at a small school too...For our rush I disaffliate for rush but not as a Recruitment Counselor. I do help out with the RC's and oversee rush to make sure things run smoothly. You might want to bring up the option of of having a Rush Director who is in charge of rush and you can help her out. So you are not so stressed about Panhel and Rush. Good Luck!
Old 12-19-2002, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

honeychile, per the Green Book, you are correct. Sounds like Blue Violet is at a campus where all NPC members perhaps agreed to deviate a bit from the cut-and-dried process to create more of a win-win situation for all involved; as from what she said, it sounds like they might also deviate a bit from green book in "setting quota".
Old 12-19-2002, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

true

We do try to have a more win-win situation here. We follow the rules as far as I know-I've onlt seen the green book once and definitely did not memorize it!, but we do set quota so that MOST if not all sororities make quota. Then the chapters that get more girls get "quota plus whatever" We usually take quota plus 5 or 6. I gues the "extra" girls are considered snap bids or COBing technically, but like I said, we know it looks REALLY bad to a group's (inter)national to not make quota. So we try to make sure everyone-or almost everyone does. We have one group here that would go under completely if we didn't help them out like that. They are always getting cut really heavy by the PNM's and have the least % of returns etc. So to set quota at 15 instead of 20 (per se) really helps them out. Then the other groups get 15 plus whatever.Some will take 15 plus 5 some will take more and some get less. But that way, the girl's first choices are respected, our first choices are respected and usually most girls get a bid. The sorority that is having the most trouble usally snap bids the girls that got no bid-so they do get a bid from someone-and they usually accept it. They are really nice girls, but they have a really hard time keeping their numbers up, but we'd hate to see them go away. It would really mess things up.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Blue Violet - Does your campus use release figures? If not, it might be something to consider to help even things out between the groups who have no trouble getting girls and the groups who do.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes the Green Book made my head spin too until some of it was explained.

But the real reason i posted here is to say that I LOVE hand bid matching. I just learned how to do it this semester and as an advisor its nice to know who goes where and if my chapters do well then I actually feel like we accomplished something and if they do poorly it's good to know who they lose girls to (and that we have to focus on COB more!) I think it's a really interesting process, but I am a nerd I admit it!
Old 12-20-2002, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all the advice. There are only two sororities at my school, and the recruitment pool is really self-selected. Because Recruitment is in late January/early February, we've developed some good relationships with certain girls, and so has the other sorority. As a result, we basically know who's going where pretty early, and we don't have to do bid-matching to the extent that larger Panhellenics do. Yay! It's pretty low-key at my school, so I'm not too worried about being stressed out.

I just didn't realize how many RULES NPC had! It's out of control.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey fire1977, I'm right there with you in the nerd pool!
There's NOTHING better than the experience of saying, "MATCH! MATCH! MATCH! MATCH!" Well, except getting to say, "We just met quota with that match."
Old 12-21-2002, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

There are three nerds on here then because I love the hand bid matching too! It's great to see where everything falls and who you cross rush with every year! We have cross rushed with a different chapter each of the last three years! So funny to see how things change! It is a fun process!