GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,255
0 members and 1,255 guests
No Members online

Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Possible Expansion

Hi all!
To start I'll give you a quick version of my story. I transferred after being initiated into Phi Mu because I realized that I wanted a major that was not offered at my original college. The school I transferred to did not have a Phi Mu chapter, but because my major program is "strong" it is a good fit.

I recently found out that one of the sororities on campus has been shut down . I had heard, from a friend on the PHC exec council, that my school had considered expansion last year. Would it be considered rude to email the Greek Adviser and ask her if the school is now considering expansion?

Thank you so much for your help.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMHuskie View Post
Hi all!
To start I'll give you a quick version of my story. I transferred after being initiated into Phi Mu because I realized that I wanted a major that was not offered at my original college. The school I transferred to did not have a Phi Mu chapter, but because my major program is "strong" it is a good fit.

I recently found out that one of the sororities on campus has been shut down . I had heard, from a friend on the PHC exec council, that my school had considered expansion last year. Would it be considered rude to email the Greek Adviser and ask her if the school is now considering expansion?

You can ask, but if you're thinking you're going to get Phi Mu to colonize there, then you're probably going to end up disappointed.

Even if your school was opened for expansion, Phi Mu would have to be interested in your campus. There are many factors (funding, alumnae support, housing, etc.) to consider.

And usually more than one sorority makes a presentation to the school, and the campus Panhellenic votes on which group they think would be a good fit.

In addition to all of the hoops to jump through, this isn't a quick process.

I would try to get involved as an alumna if I were you.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 02-08-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hi all!

Your story isn't unique. What ASTalumna06 has told you is the absolute truth. Find other ways to get involved.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

And also, without knowing why a chapter closed, it might be indicative of sororities not being interested in being the next victim. Maybe there wasn't interest to maintain a certain number of chapters, maybe there is a toxic nature to the Greek system (lots of hazing, alcohol problems, etc.), maybe the system is so cliquish that a new chapter wouldn't be welcomed. Now, maybe none of this is true, and maybe your school is one Phi Mu has had on their radar, but tread gently and keep your expectations low.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Would it be considered rude to email the Greek Adviser and ask her if the school is now considering expansion?
No, I don't think it would be rude.
As Dubai Sis says, keep your expectations low.
But...you never know. Couldn't hurt to ask.