GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,642
3 members and 1,639 guests
Sarak24034

Old 04-10-2012, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

My recruitment thread!!

Hi everyone! I just went through rush at my school this past semester (we have deferred formal recruitment) and reading everyone else's stories has been fun so I've decided to post my own!! I'm already initiated and everything so it's obviously not happening right now so I'll just write them as fast as I can with all my work and everything. Hope you guys enjoy!
Old 04-10-2012, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

We can never get enough recruitment stories that are well-written and move along quickly.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay!! I love recruitment stories... even more so when they are wrapped up quickly!
Old 04-10-2012, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Intro

There are 12 sororities at my school and while not everyone rushes, most of the people I know did and Greek Life has a really big presence at my school.

I'm going to name the sororities after popular spring break places since that just passed.. so there's
Cancun
Cabo
Punta Cana
Panama City
Miami
San Juan
Las Vegas
Acapulco
Nassau
Puerto Vallarta
Montego Bay
Orlando

We have a rush expo in the fall so that we can get a feel for what the sororities are like so I attended that with most of the girls on my floor (9 of us were rushing including my roommate) and a lot of us came away liking different sororities. My favorites after the expo were Cancun, Punta Cana, Nassau, Puerto Vallarta, Miami, and Montego Bay. I should also probably mention that prior to rush I knew a lot of girls in Cancun and Acapulco from my town and I had good friends in Punta Cana and Las Vegas. Prior to rush, people told me that they could see me in Miami, Nassau, or Cancun, but we'll see where it goes!

I'll update again soon! Thanks for reading!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevara View Post
Yay!! I love recruitment stories... even more so when they are wrapped up quickly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
We can never get enough recruitment stories that are well-written and move along quickly.
I agree that the best recruitment stories are the ones that get on with it before people get annoyed with the delays. This one is well written, and I hope to read more -- soon.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

ROUND 2!

Hi guys! Sorry I've been so busy all day but here's Round 2!

I woke up on Sunday morning very excited and nervous for the day to come. We were to meet with our Rho Gamma groups once again to get our schedules, but then we would be splitting up because obviously all our schedules would be different.

The maximum number of houses we could return to for Round 2 was 9, but our Rho Gammas told us that most people would have 7 but it would not be out of the ordinary to have 5 or even less.

My Rho Gammas handed me my schedule, and I opened it to find that (in the order I was visiting them) I had Montego Bay, San Juan, Las Vegas, Miami, Punta Cana, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Nassau, and Cancun. I was sooo happy and excited, as the only house that cut me was Acapulco and they were not one of my favorites anyways. Courtney, my best friend, also had 9 and Jenny, my roommate, was upset because she had 5. Out of my other two best friends Lisa and Alex, Lisa had 9 as well and Alex had 7. I could not wait for the day to begin!!

Montego Bay- This was my first house of the day, and they literally blew me out of the water. The house was decorated SO cute and their video (every chapter shows a video for philanthropy round) was amazing and made all the sisters seem so close. The four girls I talked to were all so beautiful and outgoing, and I really enjoyed my time here.

San Juan- This was the only house I had to return to for Round 2 that I had tried to cut Round 1, and again, I found that I did not connect well with the sisters. Because they are so new, it seemed that they did not really know what to do while the video was playing and I found all of the girls I talked to to be pretty awkward. I left knowing I would try to cut them again.

Las Vegas- I had LOVED Las Vegas from the day before, and I left philanthropy round feeling the same way. The sisters were all so down to earth and cute, and I really liked every one I met. My friend, Emily, also came up and said hi and that she was really happy to see me back. Overall, I left with a great impression of this house and hoped I would be able to return Round 3 because I could really see myself fitting in here.

Miami- Again, I really enjoyed my time at Miami. A couple of the girls seemed a little fake but overall they were all very sweet and they had a great video and craft. Also (as someone who is very into fashion) I really liked the outfits they were wearing. I liked Miami, and would be happy to return for Round 3.

Punta Cana- The energy that Punta Cana had during their video was literally a thousand times better than any other house I visited this day. Our Rho Gammas had told us that during the video, as well as watching the actual video we should also watch the sisters to see how they interact with each other, and they were all so cute dancing and singing together and you could tell that they really loved one another. I talked to Lindsay (my friend)'s best friend on this day who I had already met and loved, and I also met two other girls who I got along with great. I hoped that I would be invited back to Punta Cana again.

Cabo- The energy at this house was also great during the video, but I still could not see myself fitting the stereotype of Cabo. The girls I met were all super nice and friendly and I liked them, but deep down I just did not think I would mesh well with the house as a whole.

Puerto Vallarta- I really did not enjoy my time at Puerto Vallarta today. The craft was definitely the cutest out of every house I visited, but my conversations did not get past the general major, where you live, etc topics which they had at every other house. The girls I met today were very nice but a little awkward and I felt like I had to carry most of the conversations. Overall, if I had to come back I obviously would not be upset but there were houses I visited that I liked much more.

Nassau- I was so excited to return here again, and they did not let me down. Their outfits were adorable and they were all so put together and nice. I loved all of the girls I met and found talking to them so easy and their video was awesome. I really hoped I would be able to come back to Nassau again.

Cancun- Last house of the day! Because the parties were now 40 minutes, I was so exhausted to reach the last house but excited that it was Cancun. Their video was HILARIOUS and I loved their outfits, too. The sisters I met were all so great and funny and I could see why nobody ever has anything bad to say about Cancun. I hoped I would be invited back again!!

At the end of Round 2, we could keep 6 houses and list three we would want to cut. I did as follows:
1. Cancun
1. Las Vegas
1. Punta Cana
1. Nassau
1. Montego Bay
1. Miami
2. Cabo
3. San Juan
4. Puerto Vallarta

We would now have to wait five whole days to find out where we would be going back, and everyone was so stressed out! Because there was such a long period of time to wait, obviously all anyone could talk about was rush. Courtney (best friend) loved Montego Bay, Punta Cana, Nassau, and Cancun. Jenny (roommate) loved Punta Cana, San Juan, and Puerto Vallarta. My other two best friends both really liked Las Vegas, Cancun, and Punta Cana.

I'll try and update more tomorrow!!
Old 04-10-2012, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, if you figure out where I go to school, please don't say anything on here or just message me because I don't want everything to be given away! Thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I like the vacation name idea! Looking forward to reading the story.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish I was in Cabo
Old 04-10-2012, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Kickoff

The week leading up to rush, we all got a phone call from our Rho Gammas telling us where to meet our groups. I knew several girls in my group, and as it turned out I also already knew two of my three Rho Gammas due to mutual friends and my third Rho Gamma was a sweetheart as well. The two I already knew pulled me aside after our first meeting to tell me they understood I already knew which chapters they belonged to but to please not tell the rest of the group as they were supposed to be neutral for everyone and that they hoped I would still feel comfortable talking to them even though I knew what sororities they were in. All in all, the meeting got me even more excited for rush as everyone in my group were so excited to begin.

The night before rush, we had a recruitment kick-off in our student center in which all of our Rho Gammas led our groups into the auditorium and all the sororities were there, chanting and dancing and getting everyone pumped up. The heads of recruitment showed us a slideshow and explained how everything would work, and we all left so excited to begin the process the next day!!

There are a few key people in my story so I'll give them all nicknames. I will call my roommate Jenny, my best friend (and one of the girls who lives on my floor) Courtney, my two other best friends (who also live on my floor Lisa and Alex. My Rho Gammas will be Morgan, Carly, and Rachel. (Morgan and Carly are the ones I already knew). Finally, my good friend in Punta Cana will be Lindsay and my good friend in Las Vegas will be Emily. I'll also add that Lindsay had talked to me prior to rush and told me that although she was already in a sorority, she wanted to remain as neutral for me as possible if I needed someone to talk to while I was going through it, regardless of my opinion of her sorority or any of the others which was nice of her.

Sorry if all those names got confusing, as I talk about each person I will try and remind everyone who they are so you don't need to memorize them!

I'll post Round 1 asap
Old 04-11-2012, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

ROUND 1!

I woke up the morning of Round 1 with butterflies in my stomach. After months of everyone constantly discussing rush, it was finally here. We were given t-shirts to wear for the first day, so I wasn't too concerned with my outfit. We were to meet in designated classrooms with our Rho Gamma group each morning to get our schedules, so I quickly got ready.

I would just like to say that although it's bad, I knew a lot of the sorority "stereotypes" prior to going through rush. It was all many of my friends had been discussing pretty much since we got to college, and there was also a website circulating (terrible i know) listing all of the sororities in their "tiers". However, I was determined to go through rush with an open mind and ignore the things I had heard.

For the first day, we would be spending 20 minutes at each house with our Rho Gamma groups. Our Rho Gammas warned us about the singing and cheering we would encounter as soon as each door opened so that we would not be too overwhelmed. I will list the houses in the order that I attended them.

Puerto Vallarta- As my first house of rush, I did not know really what to expect. I found that in every house, we were brought to a seat and different people would rotate in to talk to us one-on-one. I did not know very much about Puerto Vallarta prior to rush, but I did like them at Expo. The three girls I talked to were all very nice, one was a little awkward but overall I had a good experience and enjoyed this house. I knew I would be happy to return here for a second day.

Panama City- I arrived at this house with preconceptions that I would not fit in here as I did not fit the stereotype that came along with this house, and I found this house to be overall pretty overwhelming. The cheers were MUCH more intense than at Puerto Vallarta, and although the girls I spoke to were all pretty nice, I left agreeing with what I had originally heard that I would not want to be a part of this chapter. Also, although it didn't happen to me, a few girls in my Rho Gamma group reported that some of the sisters had come off as rude to them. They seemed like a great group of girls with a strong sisterhood, but I truly did not feel I would fit in. Leaving this chapter, I knew I would not be upset if I did not return here.

Orlando- This house unfortunately has the most negative stereotype on campus, and the rumor was (which I know now is true) is that they have a MUCH lower membership than the other chapters (they have less than 30% of the amount of members as the other chapters) but I was determined to approach this house with an open mind. However, the first girl I spoke with was very awkward and made me uncomfortable as she was actually unable to hold a conversation. I only spoke to one other girl here, and I liked her much better only to have her tell me that she actually does not attend my university, she and some of her sisters were brought here from another university to help out with Orlando's rush. If I were to become a member of Orlando, I would not be chapter sisters with the girl I actually liked. Sadly, I left knowing that I was definitely going to cut this chapter.

Cancun- I was very excited to come to this house, and I LOVED it. I knew several girls here from my high school, and they all came up and said hi to me. All three girls I spoke to were hilarious and so sweet, and this was the first house of the day that I really felt I could belong in. Also, I should probably mention that one of my Rho Gammas who I already knew prior to rush is in this chapter, and she's awesome. I had never heard a bad thing about Cancun, and I could see why after visiting this house.

Acapulco- This house was next, and it was the other house that I knew girls in from high school. I am not as friendly with the girls from my high school here as I am with the ones in Cancun, but I was still excited to see the house. The girls were all beautiful and the four girls I spoke with were very nice. We did not really get into deeper conversations than the general "major, where you live, etc" like I had in some of the other chapters, but I left feeling I would like to come back but I would not be devastated if I did not.

Punta Cana- I was very excited to visit this house as my good friend Lindsay had always spoken well of it and I had met several of her friends throughout the previous semester and had gotten along well with all of them. Also, my other Rho Gamma who I knew prior (because of Lindsay) and who I loved was in this chapter. I talked to three girls I had never met before, and got along great with all of them. Punta Cana did not disappoint, and they were my second favorite house of the day so far after Cancun.

Las Vegas- It was only halfway through the day, but I was already exhausted. I was having a lot of fun though, and I was very excited to see Las Vegas because of my friend Emily. All I can say is I had a GREAT time here. I got along so well with all of the girls I met and they were all so cute. After visiting Las Vegas, they were easily my favorite house of the day and I knew I would be devastated if I did not return for Round 2.

Montego Bay- Rumor had it that this house was the "top" house on campus. After going there, I could easily see why as all of the girls were beautiful and so outgoing. Their outfits were so cute and they seemed like such a fun group of girls. I really enjoyed my conversations with all of the girls I met, and wanted to return for Round 2.

Cabo- I had heard that Cabo is very similar to Panama City, and I did not think I would fit in here. However, this house surprised me as I got along great with the girls I talked to and enjoyed my time here a lot. I did not think this was the house I would ultimately end up in, but I had a good time and would not mind going back and seeing more of Cabo.

San Juan- This house is very new to campus, and because of this rumor was going around that there was a strange mix of girls in the house because they had taken a pledge class of about 100 all at once the previous year, and it was a VERY mixed group of girls. I was pleasantly surprised as I really liked two of the girls I talked to, and the other two were just okay. One was very awkward, but I was willing to give this group a second chance.

Nassau- Almost to the end of the day! We were all so tired, but I was excited to see this house as I had heard nothing but great things. The girls were all sooo cute and outgoing, and I had a fantastic time here. Just from our lunch break, I had already been hearing so many good things about them and they did not prove me wrong. I hoped I would get to return here for a second day.

Miami- Whew, last house! This house is also considered a "top" house on campus and although I was so exhausted, I still managed to have a great time here. The three girls I met were all so sweet and I knew I wanted to return here again.

At the end of the day, my floor and I all discussed what we liked and what we did not. Almost all my friends loved Cancun, Nassau, Montego Bay, Punta Cana, and Las Vegas. A few girls on my floor also really enjoyed Panama City , Cabo, and Acapulco. As you can see, there was quite a diverse mix of what we all liked!!

At the end of Round 1, we could keep 9 houses and then rank our last 3 that we wished to cut. I did as follows:
1. Las Vegas
1. Cancun
1. Nassau
1. Punta Cana
1. Montego Bay
1. Miami
1. Acapulco
1. Puerto Vallarta
1. Cabo
2. San Juan
3. Panama City
4. Orlando

I'll probably post Round 2 tomorrow...sorry that I get so wordy but thanks for reading

Last edited by icecream123; 04-11-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

So wish I was in Cabo or Puerto Vallarta right now, so I'm going to root those on.

I also wouldn't mind being in Vegas as well, so it will be my 3rd root on.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 04-13-2012, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Your not going to make us wait the five days as well?!
Old 04-13-2012, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevara View Post
Your not going to make us wait the five days as well?!
Please dear heavens No!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Round 3!

Hi everyone! Sorry it's been taking so long for me to update, but here's Round 3!

After five LONG days of waiting and talking about nothing but rush, Friday finally arrived. We were to meet with our Rho Gamma groups in the afternoon, and then we would be visiting all the houses until late at night.

The attire for Round 3 was business casual so I carefully picked out my outfit and headed to the classroom we were meeting in. The maximum amount of houses we could return to for the day was 6. Morgan, my Rho Gamma, handed me my schedule and I nervously opened it. I saw that I would be returning (in order) to Cabo, Nassau, Cancun, San Juan, Punta Cana, and Las Vegas. I was cut by Miami and Montego Bay, but I was okay with it because I still had my four favorites left, along with Cabo and San Juan. By this point many girls were upset with the schedules they were getting back and I knew several girls who had already dropped out of rush.

The parties for Round 3 were 50 minutes long because we would be getting a tour of each house, and I was so excited to see how differently all of them were set up and decorated!

Cabo- I was still so surprised that I kept getting invited back here because I really did not think I would fit in. The house was nice and the girls were friendly enough and I knew plenty of people who wanted Cabo (including two girls on my floor) but I did not think it was for me. I would be fine if I had to come back for pref, but ultimately, I still did not think I would end up here.

Nassau- As always, I really enjoyed this house. The girls all seemed so perfect and put together, and the house was really cute. This had been one of my favorites the first two days and it definitely did not let me down for Round 3. I talked to four new girls I had never spoken to, and really liked all of them.

Cancun- Cancun was easily a favorite among all of the girls talking about rush throughout the week, and there was no way for it not to be. Each girl I met was so down to earth and funny, and I loved the way that the house was set up. I really hoped that I would be invited back to pref at Cancun.

San Juan- I was not super excited to return to San Juan again, but I was willing to give it another chance and see if I got along better with some of the girls. However, as it turned out, I talked to all of the same girls I talked to during Round 2 and the conversation was not much better. I liked the house enough as it was recently renovated, but overall San Juan was definitely my least favorite house of the day.

Punta Cana- I was very excited to come back to Punta Cana, and I had a great time during Round 3. The house was surprisingly bigger than I thought it would be and all of the rooms were decorated so cute. I talked to four more girls I had never spoken to before, and one of them and I discovered that we are literally the same person and I was really sad when she got rotated out and I had to talk to someone else.

Las Vegas- By this point, it was dark out and everyone was dragging. I was so excited to come back to Las Vegas again though, and again, I had a great time. The house was probably the smallest out of all the ones I had visited, but I still liked how the rooms were decorated and I loved the sisters I spoke with.

The day was finally finished, and it was time to pick the 3 houses we would want to go back for pref. However, I was so conflicted and had no idea what to do because I knew I definitely wanted to cut Cabo and San Juan, but I LOVED Nassau, Cancun, Punta Cana, and Las Vegas. No matter what I did, I would be choosing to cut a house that I really enjoyed and could want to be apart of. Because I was so confused, I turned to my Rho Gamma Morgan (she was the one I became the closest with throughout the week) for advice and she helped talk me through my day and everything that was going on in my head. She asked me to describe the feelings I got at each house, and we finally concluded that I felt more comfortable and at home with 3 of the houses and that in those 3 houses, I could truly see myself becoming good friends with the sisters I had met. I will still nervous, but I ended up ranking:
1. Cancun
1. Punta Cana
1. Las Vegas
2. Nassau
3. Cabo
4. San Juan

At this point, my friends and I all decided that we were not going to discuss what we liked and how we ranked our houses, especially because we had very similar houses left, and we would just surprise each other on bid day with where we ended up. I kind of liked this, because this way none of us would convince each other to put down one house or another just for the sake of it, we would all be ranking what we truly wanted.

Stay tuned for Round 4!