GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,493
0 members and 1,493 guests
No Members online

Old 09-17-2007, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

open recruitment

hi! i rushed formal recruitment at my university. i had no idea what my 8 semester gpa in high school had been... but i did know that my 7 semester gpa wasn't that bad. however, i did mess up really bad my 8th semester and apparently my gpa dropped to below a 3.0. i didn't find out this gpa thing until my gamma chi told me.

anyways, i went through rush and really liked some of the houses and got really good vibes from a couple, but then the first cut came around, and i got cut from everything that i liked. i still had a few left but i was upset and ended up dropping out of rush. but then i talked to my gamma chi and she said that my gpa played a big role, and told me what my gpa was. and i was surprised, haha. she told me just to go through open recruitment and that it would give me a better shot.

even though my high school gpa was super low by the 8th semester, (2.7), will i still have a shot to get into a sorority that i had previously been cut from due to my gpa? i'm not stupid. i'm in the honors college, i have a good scholarship, and i'm doing a hard major. (i have the scholarship and honors college from the fact that i was a national merit semi-finalist, so i got those automatically)

so do i still have a chance? is it even worth doing? thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-17-2007, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

A lot of chapters have their own GPA requirements, so no one will be able to tell you if a 2.7 would be good enough not to get cut again. If you are planning on going through next semester, I would assume the panhellenic at your university would use your 1st semester college GPA for recruitment. If that is good, then my guess would be that you shouldn't have that much of a problem if GPA was the biggest issue in your case. Most instances, the sorority won't know that your are in the honors program or that you have a hard major. That information is not always released to the organizations.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:34 PM

I wouldn't go through open recruitment THIS SEMESTER with the sororities that dropped you, because the result will still be the same. If your GPA is below their minimum, they would most likely not extend you a bid.

If possible, I'd wait until you have established your college GPA and then try open recruitment or formal recruitment next semester if it's an option. If your college GPA is better, you might have better chances.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 09-17-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah, that makes a lot of sense. apparently during open recruitment they are a lot more lax, but i think i probably will just wait and do next semester's open recruitment. because that way i can use my college gpa. thanks! y'all are so helpful.