GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,521
1 members and 1,520 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 06-29-2004, 07:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Interview ?

OK any advice for people out there interviewing about questions. I know I went on an interview today that I think went great, but they asked if I had any questions and I said no. Its like if I think of anything they answer it before I can ask so Im always left with nothing.

I always feel bad cause I think you should ask something, but I never have a clue what.

Any tips on interview questions to ask and any ?'s anyone can think of even when it seems they answered it all.

Also what are your thoughts on thank you emails? I want to send one saying thanks for the interview but also say I really want this job without sounding desperate?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-29-2004, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

I always run into the problem of them answering the questions I would have before I ask them too. So I have a question that I always fall back on, because I have always been told that you should ask something, or else you could come off seeming like you're not interested. I ask something like, "What is your favorite thing about working for this company?" That puts a personal spin on it, and it helps because you know how some people love to talk about themselves. You're also finding out, from their perspective, what's so great about working there.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Interview ?

Quote:
Originally posted by ADPiShannan
OK any advice for people out there interviewing about questions. I know I went on an interview today that I think went great, but they asked if I had any questions and I said no. Its like if I think of anything they answer it before I can ask so Im always left with nothing.

I always feel bad cause I think you should ask something, but I never have a clue what.

Any tips on interview questions to ask and any ?'s anyone can think of even when it seems they answered it all.

Also what are your thoughts on thank you emails? I want to send one saying thanks for the interview but also say I really want this job without sounding desperate?
Not sure about the thank you emails. I think note cards are better.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

uck, don't send an email. Send a thank you card or a note on nice stationary. Always send it as close to the interview as possible so it gets there quickly. Thank yous are VERY important
Old 06-29-2004, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Just don't send it on floral paper. Or irreglar sized paper. Above all, suppress the urge to spray the letter with perfume.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by decadence
Above all, suppress the urge to spray the letter with perfume.
LOL.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:45 AM
Banned

Re: Interview ?

Quote:

1) It's bad you didn't ask questions. I am assuming you want me to be honest. In the future come up with something specific to them and not a stupid question like how many vacation days or do people love their jobs.

2) I always sent thank you emails. Be very quick and very short. Most places are not fond of thank yous because they have to sit there opening them and all that crap. You want to get your message there ASAP so do it with email or it will be too late. Don't make it lengthy, or you will annoy the employer.

3) Check out vault.com or wetfeet.com

-Rudey
Old 06-29-2004, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. In terms of thank yous, I dont like to send them through email, but this is the only way I could.

My interview for office manager was at a coffee shop because the place I am interviewing for is still being built. They only have dry wall up at the office building and it isnt ready to be moved into for a month Im told. I only had their email addresses of the two people I interviewed with so as soon as I came home I sent out a thank you to both of them.

I did receive a email back saying thanks for the note, they also said they are in the process of finishing up the rest of the interviews and will let me know. I was told too that they enjoyed meeting with me. They kept complimenting me on my resume and experience and answers I gave to their questions. I really hope they meant that and were as impressed as they said. Hopefully Ill hear back and get the job.

As far as not asking any questions, I do feel bad about it because I always try to come up with something to ask, but I mean I literally drew a blank. They told me all about them, why they chose their field, where they were from, what they have degrees in, where they live, also all about the position, the benefits, the pay, the duties, programs Id use, the people Id hire, I mean everything, they asked me certain things about my resume and about myself and even told me why they wanted to start this new place. It was so hard to come up with something. Between the two of them I practically know their life stories and without asking personal questions I wouldnt know what to ask. They told me on the phone and in the interview how impressed with my experience and resume they were so Im hoping mine is better than anyone else they interview. One of the gentlemen told me how when he read my resume he felt like I wrote it with a smile and now that hes met me he knew I had to cause I have a wonderful personality and smile all the time. They then said I was a interviewers dream lol. I hope that means I did good. I hate getting my hopes up and then they pick someone more qualified or something........

Oh well Im keeping my fingers crossed.

As for the interview questions I need to think of something to always ask at any interview...
Old 06-29-2004, 11:27 AM
Banned

Trust me, email is the way to go so you did good on that.

Next time come up with something...I mean the questions are the closer. When you bust out info on a particular office on a particular client they've worked on they get impressed. When you ask what they dislike about their job...eh...but better than nothing.

I always like to write 2 or 3 questions down on a piece of paper while researching the company. Just keep them on you and memorize them.

We have all been disappointed about not getting jobs. It comes with the whole territory. We've all been fantastic candidates who they can't wait to have on board and then gotten a rejection. But you can't let it hold you back

-Rudey

Quote:
Thanks for the advice everyone. In terms of thank yous, I dont like to send them through email, but this is the only way I could.

My interview for office manager was at a coffee shop because the place I am interviewing for is still being built. They only have dry wall up at the office building and it isnt ready to be moved into for a month Im told. I only had their email addresses of the two people I interviewed with so as soon as I came home I sent out a thank you to both of them.

I did receive a email back saying thanks for the note, they also said they are in the process of finishing up the rest of the interviews and will let me know. I was told too that they enjoyed meeting with me. They kept complimenting me on my resume and experience and answers I gave to their questions. I really hope they meant that and were as impressed as they said. Hopefully Ill hear back and get the job.

As far as not asking any questions, I do feel bad about it because I always try to come up with something to ask, but I mean I literally drew a blank. They told me all about them, why they chose their field, where they were from, what they have degrees in, where they live, also all about the position, the benefits, the pay, the duties, programs Id use, the people Id hire, I mean everything, they asked me certain things about my resume and about myself and even told me why they wanted to start this new place. It was so hard to come up with something. Between the two of them I practically know their life stories and without asking personal questions I wouldnt know what to ask. They told me on the phone and in the interview how impressed with my experience and resume they were so Im hoping mine is better than anyone else they interview. One of the gentlemen told me how when he read my resume he felt like I wrote it with a smile and now that hes met me he knew I had to cause I have a wonderful personality and smile all the time. They then said I was a interviewers dream lol. I hope that means I did good. I hate getting my hopes up and then they pick someone more qualified or something........

Oh well Im keeping my fingers crossed.

As for the interview questions I need to think of something to always ask at any interview...
Old 06-29-2004, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I found it a lot harder to come up with questions when I had less professional experience. I've eventually gotten better at it. All you have to do is listen for holes when listing your potential job responsibilities and ask for further details.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Sometimes they really do cover everything for you. I've not asked any questions and still gotten the job before anyway.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

OK, call me crazy, but what if you were just honest with them and said, "Wow, I had all of these questions about the company and you guys did such a thorough job, you answered them all! Thank you so much for anticipating my questions!" (I mean, not verbatim, but you know what I'm saying)

Also, I had heard that e-mail thank yous are only appropriate if you know that the hiring decision will be made within the time it would take for a written thank you to arrive in the mail. For some jobs, I've even heard that it's better to go ahead and attempt to hand-deliver.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:22 PM
Banned

I totally disagree with Rudy regarding e-mail. E-mail is definately NOT the way to go. It makes the interviewee look lazy. As someone who hires, I don't mind getting resumes via e-mail, but I really hate when the people I interview send me a thank you by e-mail. It's about as tacky as getting an e-mail birthday card. Shows no thought and effort... and leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth for the person who I interviewed. Makes me think he or she will be lazy on the job.

If at all possible, I would recommend you follow up your e-mail thank you with a snail mail thank you.

As far as questions... the best thing to do is to research the company and ask a few general facts about it. Such as, "I heard xxxx Enterprises is expanding to Europe. What is the long term growth plan for the company?" or xxxx Enterprises is adding a new product. How else is the company changing?" or "I read about xxx Enterprises in the news and see that the company is changing its advertising agency. How will that effect it's marketing plan?" The questions you ask depend on what you find out about the company.

It shows you were interested enough in the company to check them out. A little googling goes a long way!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel
I totally disagree with Rudy regarding e-mail. E-mail is definately NOT the way to go. It makes the interviewee look lazy. As someone who hires, I don't mind getting resumes via e-mail, but I really hate when the people I interview send me a thank you by e-mail. It's about as tacky as getting an e-mail birthday card. Shows no thought and effort... and leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth for the person who I interviewed. Makes me think he or she will be lazy on the job.

If at all possible, I would recommend you follow up your e-mail thank you with a snail mail thank you.
That totally depends on the interviewer and the HR department. I could name at least 5 who I have talked to who DO NOT like to get snail mail thank-you's, for the reasons Rudey noted. A lot of HR and hiring people are extremely busy, and don't want to sit reading thank-you notes or opening cards that will just end up in the trash anyway. A short email can do wonders.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:17 AM
Banned

Just to make it clear, I am not in the HR department of my company. However, I do hire-- along with my other duties.

I am extremely busy at work, which is why I rarely take phone calls. However, I do appreciate a snail mail thank you. It isn't as if we get mail-bags full of thank-yous! In fact, sad to say, very few people send any type of thank you's at all. Those that do, definately get the edge.

I can't imagine anyone not appreciating a hand-written thank you note. I have never, ever heard of anyone looking down on a hand written note.

If time is of the essence, then yes, I would send an e-mail thank you.. but I would ALWAYS follow it up with a hand-written note.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Not to hijack this and turn it into a thread on the differences between sexes, but I wonder if this is a case where hand-written thank yous are more appreciated by women and emailed thank yous are more appreciated by men. ??

I remember my mom harping on me about writing thank you notes any time anyone sent me anything. But, with my brother, she wasn't so insistent. From conversations I've had with other women who have brothers, my mom wasn't the only one who did this.

So, I guess my point is, generally, women value a hand-written note while men see any kind of thank you as, "Wow, they said thanks for the interview. Hmm."

You mentioned that one of the interviewers was male... were both of them? If so, then (according to my theory, anyway) you don't have to worry about the email. If the other person was a woman, look out!