GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,213
3 members and 1,210 guests
LarryByday, Low D Flat

Old 09-09-2009, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

If/When to accept a bid during open recruitment...

Long story short...I went through formal recruitment and wasn't placed. (The first part of my story is even on here under a different name, but I had to change my ID for discretion's sake.) So, I put my application in for Open Recruitment. Greek Affairs said that 7-8 sororites participate in open recruitment, but they all do it on their own time frame.

Out of over a dozen sororities on campus, only one doesn't have house. They are also the only one that doesn't do formal recruitment, instead they do their own recruitment the week school starts.

This house-less sorority invited me to a recruitment event and I went.
I was the only PNM there! I am a bit worried about the fact that there isn't a house because I think it would cause me to really miss out on a lot that sorority life has to offer. But, my biggest concern was that they had a representative there from their national organization that did most of the talking. Is the lack of pmn's and presence of a national rep a red flag that the chapter is at risk of being removed by nationals (or something to that effect)? I got the impression that they would offer me a bid later on, but I am not too fond of joining a chapter that seems to be only a possibility on my campus in years to come. If it matters, they were alredy closed once on my campus and had to be re-chartered.

So, do I accept this *possible* bid now or decline in hopes that one of the other 6-7 (stronger?) sororities will invite me to recruitment events in the future?

I would appreciate any advice given!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-09-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openrecruitee View Post
Long story short...I went through formal recruitment and wasn't placed. (The first part of my story is even on here under a different name, but I had to change my ID for discretion's sake.) So, I put my application in for Open Recruitment. Greek Affairs said that 7-8 sororites participate in open recruitment, but they all do it on their own time frame.

Out of over a dozen sororities on campus, only one doesn't have house. They are also the only one that doesn't do formal recruitment, instead they do their own recruitment the week school starts.

This house-less sorority invited me to a recruitment event and I went.
I was the only PNM there! I am a bit worried about the fact that there isn't a house because I think it would cause me to really miss out on a lot that sorority life has to offer. But, my biggest concern was that they had a representative there from their national organization that did most of the talking. Is the lack of pmn's and presence of a national rep a red flag that the chapter is at risk of being removed by nationals (or something to that effect)? I got the impression that they would offer me a bid later on, but I am not too fond of joining a chapter that seems to be only a possibility on my campus in years to come. If it matters, they were alredy closed once on my campus and had to be re-chartered.

So, do I accept this *possible* bid now or decline in hopes that one of the other 6-7 (stronger?) sororities will invite me to recruitment events in the future?

I would appreciate any advice given!

It's up to YOU. We can't tell you what you should do.

However, it is worth pointing out that unless you are a member of that chapter, you don't know WHAT their status is with their national organization.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard a rumor on campus that "XYZ is closing next semester!" or something like that.

Also, the fact that a chapter has been closed and re-opened in the past is no indication of whether it will be closed in the future. Several chapters on my campus have been closed and re-opened before.

However, you certainly shouldn't take a bid to a group you aren't comfortable with (to the point of talking about them on a message board).

It's up to you. If you like that chapter, then by all means take a bid if given one. If not, don't. Pretty simple.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 09-10-2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Did you actually meet any of the collegiate members?
Do you like them?
Do you feel comfortable asking them what their status is?
I think that with their situation, they should expect that PNMs may have questions regarding the likelihood that their chapter will be there in one- four years.
If you are having these kinds of reservations, do some research, ask some questions before signing up. What's the worst that can happen? They don't give you a bid? Of course, be polite about it.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-09-2009, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with the above.

Honestly, maybe you should go back and talk to some more people. It seems a little weird to have someone from national doing most of the talking, but , the only concern I have with that is how the heck are you going to know if you like the girls in the sorority?

I would check it out a little more, maybe you could even ask if they are getting a house. Who knows, maybe they are in between right now, they could be getting a house bought or built for them that would be beautiful! Chapters go through transitions some years, and its really hard on them, its good to have an open mind.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

We send HQ reps to every single chapter in the country at some point during the year. Many of them end up at a chapter during a COB event without that being pre-planned. I don't see that as a red flag.

I do think you're putting the cart before the horse. IF they offer you a bid, then worry about it. They will probably want to meet you more than once before offering you a bid anyway. So, you will also get more time to get to know them and make up your mind.

Relax!