GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,419
0 members and 1,419 guests
No Members online

Old 12-06-2013, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

A Little Advice Please?

I've been invited to an event to get to know some alumnae of an NPC sorority in my state. I've exchanged a few emails, texts and had a long, very pleasant conversation with one of the women that will be there, (she is the one who introduced me to the woman that sent me the invite.)
Here's where I need advice:
I don't have their addresses, and I feel that in this day and age asking someone you don't know our don't know well for an address is creepy and somewhat inappropriate. I would like to take a small thank you gift or card for both women to show my appreciation for the invite. Good idea or would it come across as trying too hard? I really want to do more than send an email after the fact.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSUGURL View Post
I've been invited to an event to get to know some alumnae of an NPC sorority in my state. I've exchanged a few emails, texts and had a long, very pleasant conversation with one of the women that will be there, (she is the one who introduced me to the woman that sent me the invite.)
Here's where I need advice:
I don't have their addresses, and I feel that in this day and age asking someone you don't know our don't know well for an address is creepy and somewhat inappropriate. I would like to take a small thank you gift or card for both women to show my appreciation for the invite. Good idea or would it come across as trying too hard? I really want to do more than send an email after the fact.
I don't think there is anything wrong with requesting their addresses to send simple thank you notes to these women after the event. Anymore than that would be trying too hard. If you feel odd about asking for the addresses, simply tell them that you wish to send them thank you notes. It's not that difficult and doesn't have to be awkward.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 12-06-2013, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you!
Old 12-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Agree with AOII Angel. Thank you notes are always appropriate.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Gifts - no. Thank you card - yes. And being sorority women they should understand and appreciate the details associated with sending them. If you wanted to google stalk them you might be able to find the addresses without asking, but really I wouldn't worry about asking. And of course if you join the alumnae group you will probably get a list of all the members names, addresses, emails, etc.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Handwritten personal notes are classy. And very much noticed in these days of texts and emails. Anything else is over the top.

Excited for you, hoping that this continues to progress in a positive direction!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 12-07-2013, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm very excited for you! Hope it works out!
Old 12-08-2013, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Have fun! Excited for you.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 12-08-2013, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks guys! I appreciate the good wishes. I'm really excited, maybe a little nervous. If nothing else I've already gotten to connect with some very sweet ladies I look forward to knowing better.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I think a request for an address or two is completely appropriate. Enjoy yourself! You're right...no matter what you are meeting great women and having fun in their company.

Be a Volunteer!