GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,329
1 members and 1,328 guests
acg233

Old 05-03-2006, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Should I be concerned with a pandemic of Rain Man Syndrome hitting the U.S. I'm just saying I want to be prepared.
Be afraid.....be VERY afraid.

This is WORSE than the bird flu.

More terrible than SARS.

Scarier than COOTIES.

And like many other ailments, a song has been produced to raise awareness and funds to rid the human race of this awful disease. The song is entitled, "Blame it on the Rain Man" and it's only $9.99 at Best Buy!

I'm heading to the doctor right now to get some antibiotics to try and get rid of it. Until then I'll have to be placed under quarantine. I'll have a place at the bottom of my door so that folks can slide in food, beverages, and reading literature for me to consume while I wait for the coast to be clear. (Sammiches, red Kool-Aid, Cake and African-American literature would be greatly appreciated)
Old 05-03-2006, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Re: Just food for thought

Quote:
Originally posted by Sahara
It's possible that a person will be rejected into org XYZ because the sorors want to see what she will do next. If she stays strong and continues her interest, then she may be accepted the next time around. If the XYZ sorors she that she is the type to do whatever is available, then the time they let her "marinate" will reveal that.

Membership is a lifelong committment. You can't allow people to join because you feel a PERSONAL obligation. If they don't get accepted this year, they may get accepted another year. Some people just need time to mature.

I was speaking with some sorors over the weekend and one of them said something to me that I thought was very salient. She said "I belong to Alpha Kappa Alpha. Alpha Kappa Alpha does NOT belong to me."
Soror Sahara, I love that quote. It's something to think about.
And as someone who received the opportunity to belong to Alpha Kappa Alpha 14 years after graduation, it is well worth the wait.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PerfectVerse06
Absolutely.

But the fact remains that there are people out there who believe in this 'first choice, second choice' nonsense, and some of those people do end up in BGLO's, just based on the stories shared on this one messageboard that is evident. I mean, for example, how did the term 'T-Shirt Wearer' originate in the first place? There had to have been some folks emulating the characteristics of someone who'd joined a BGLO for extrinsic reasons in order to coin that phrase.

I don't want to be accused of suffering from 'Rain Man' syndrome and get in trouble for discussing NPHC matters when I'm not a part of it so I'll worry about me, myself, and I and exit, stage left.

Thanks for the input, everyone!
I am reading the previous posters to say that they believe in trying more than once with the same organization not that they are standing up for applying to a second choice. Or may I am confused
Old 05-03-2006, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am reading the previous posters to say that they believe in trying more than once with the same organization not that they are standing up for applying to a second choice.
The responses have touched on both.

A few other posters and I have talked about people who have joined their second choice organization when it wasn't possible for them to join their first choice organization for whatever reason.

Other posters have shared their stories and stated that even though circumstances prevented them from joining their first choice organization, their love and desire to be apart of that one organization remained steadfast. They didn't decide to just try and join something else or choose a second orgaization just in case.

So it's a lil bit of both ideas.