GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,762
2 members and 1,760 guests
Cookiez17, Sen's Revenge

Old 08-24-2018, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
Crazy Things That Happen During Recruitment

What are some crazy stories that have happened during recruitment for you as an alum/advisor?

Mine today:
Today is the first day of recruitment. The Membership VP asked me over the weekend to pick up chairs from the rental, which is about 45 minutes away and in another state. I was not told how many chiars or how big they were. I took my Yukon and when I arrived at the rental place they told me 75 chairs and they were a little bigger then excepted. I fill up the back with chairs, all the way to the roof. I had my hubby take the 3 row seat out. We ended up with chairs in the front and anywhere they could fit. Then I got to the house in was turning into the back yard and ended up hitting the passenger side with the post. That's the end of the first part.

Then I gp pick up the tables from another location. I get there and I'm told the ther takes where never reserved and they don't have anymore. This after the MVP verified last night. We get on the phone and call around and find some about 45 minutes away. None of the members have trucks so I volunteered to go get them. It took about an hour to load the tables. I made it back to the house right as house checks were happening; aroundc3:30. The parties started at 5 PM. And set up still had to happen for the tables.

This is the craziest recruitment has had. This is my first year as the chapter advisor too. I'm so exhausted already.b

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 08-24-2018, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

oh goodness!

I'm tired just reading this. Best of luck during recruitment!!
Old 08-24-2018, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I told this before somewhere else, but we had a PNM receive a bid to a chapter she hadn't preffed. Somehow our recruitment software totally messed up and sent her to a chapter she didn't return to after the third round, and we had to go get her from her Bid Day party, give back her things for the old chapter and send her to her new Bid Day party. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it myself, but she was really sweet and was just happy to find a sorority home even if it was one she didn't think she would end up in. We only noticed because a chapter that would have otherwise made quota was one short and we knew they didn't miss it, so we cross-referenced the lists and found a woman where she shouldn't have been. I still don't know how it happened!
Old 08-24-2018, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

We had a COB situation where a couple of collegians were dispatched to knock on the door and invite a pnm to join. Apparently, they were given the wrong dorm room so came back with a different girl (same first name but completely different girl) that the chapter was not intending to receive. They still gave her the bid and she turned out to be a fabulous well loved member of the chapter. Sometimes mistakes are meant to happen.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I served as an advisor for 3 years and was most recently the recruitment advisor. The first night, a sister showed up to recruitment with a tray of chicken nuggets before rounds started. It was meant for the chapter's dinner. After parties. At 10:30. We started at 5:00. Since the sororities on this campus are not residential, we use classroom buildings and don't have kitchens. There were already several sisters out with the flu and I couldn't lose any more with food poisoning. This meant a run to Wal-Mart during parties for plastic baggies, ice, and food service gloves so I could put the nuggets in the cooler someone thankfully brought.

Later that night I got to unclog the toilet in the only restroom available to PNMs in our building. Awesome.

To then cap a memorable night 1, campus director was malfunctioning and we couldn't get the invite lists to post.

Thankfully the other rounds went more smoothly.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
We had a COB situation where a couple of collegians were dispatched to knock on the door and invite a pnm to join. Apparently, they were given the wrong dorm room so came back with a different girl (same first name but completely different girl) that the chapter was not intending to receive. They still gave her the bid and she turned out to be a fabulous well loved member of the chapter. Sometimes mistakes are meant to happen.
Did the other girl with the same name, get a bid?

Also, flirt5721 — Advisor of the Year!!!
Old 08-25-2018, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

"Did the other girl with the same name, get a bid?"

No. The chapter was at total. They only had a certain number of bids to share and this particular one went to the incorrect pnm. It all worked out in the end.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

This year's recruitment was a doozy:

1) the only bathroom available to the members/cook/other staff during recruitment was clogged and water ended up all over the floor. I got to mop that up and then wait three hours for the plumber. Also it was a Saturday so that was an expensive 10 minute plumbing visit.

2) The brand new super expensive stove we bought for the house this summer ended up having several manufacturer defects. We can still only use one oven and one side of the stove top (we're waiting on parts).

3) At my campus the houses are required to provide water outside to rho gams/pnms via water coolers. My house only had one so I had to haul rear end around town to find another one 40 minutes prior to recruitment starting. Found one, then I had to circle the block for nearly ten minutes because PNMs were waiting in front of the houses.

I guess we could have had it worse. One house had their cook quit in the middle of recruitment and the main sewer line cracked and leaked in another.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKate1244 View Post
This year's recruitment was a doozy:

1) the only bathroom available to the members/cook/other staff during recruitment was clogged and water ended up all over the floor. I got to mop that up and then wait three hours for the plumber. Also it was a Saturday so that was an expensive 10 minute plumbing visit.

2) The brand new super expensive stove we bought for the house this summer ended up having several manufacturer defects. We can still only use one oven and one side of the stove top (we're waiting on parts).

3) At my campus the houses are required to provide water outside to rho gams/pnms via water coolers. My house only had one so I had to haul rear end around town to find another one 40 minutes prior to recruitment starting. Found one, then I had to circle the block for nearly ten minutes because PNMs were waiting in front of the houses.

I guess we could have had it worse. One house had their cook quit in the middle of recruitment and the main sewer line cracked and leaked in another.
Oh wow! What was it, 3-4 years ago when there was all the rain right before/during recruitment and some chapters' basements flooded?
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

In Ann Hyman's book about being a sorority house mom, there was a fire in her sorority house on one of the days of recruitment. (Small, but still!). There was some other emergency the next year at another house on her campus, but it escapes me at the moment.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Last year, we were in our old house for the last time during recruitment. It was OLD and had constant problems with plumbing. As I was being very sentimental about losing the old girl, I heard a gurgling sound in the guest bathroom. Upon investigation I found the bathtub filling with sewage. After the plumber and cleanup, I turned to another alum and said the new house could not happen fast enough!
Old 08-25-2018, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my first few years advising the UCLA chapter, the girls were excited to have 1 of their faves for lunch during Recruitment - BLT sandwiches! But, during the last party before lunch, the whole house smelled like bacon. Just so much bacon ��!

We aired out the house during lunch and our chef made chocolate chip cookies in the afternoon rounds so got rid of the bacon smell with chocolate!

Last edited by ChioLu; 08-25-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
"Did the other girl with the same name, get a bid?"

No. The chapter was at total. They only had a certain number of bids to share and this particular one went to the incorrect pnm. It all worked out in the end.
Something like this happened at MS State one year. I had to go pick up the girl who was mistakenly given a bid and it was awful.

The good thing was that she got a bid to the same chapter in COB in the spring.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

My first year of coming back as an alum to help with recruitment we had one of the day's party chairs slip down the stairs of the student center where the parties are held and break her wrist (it was winter and the stairs were not as well salted as they should be). Two alums took her to the ER and the rest of us tried to help the remaining chair and membership director get everything together but between the insanity of the injury and getting stuff ready we forgot to set up the project and laptop for the sisterhood video and didn't realize it until it was time to play it in the first party. We got it set up to play just at the end, but I now check all of the tech first before every party.

One of my friends was advising her chapter and the bakery where they had ordered their special pref desserts for years had closed early when they went to pick them up the day before pref so alums baked, frosted and personalized new ones all through the night for the party the next day.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I forgot one-
There was a girl on crutches going through that got stuck in the elevator for almost 45 minutes and for a while the Rho Chis could not figure out where she was and went around checking the other chapters in case she had gone to the wrong party before they figured it out maintenance. Luckily it was early in a later round of parties and she was able to be added to another party for the chapter she missed but I'm glad I was Panhel and the Rho Chis right then!