GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,504
0 members and 1,504 guests
No Members online

Old 07-03-2000, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Honorary Membership for Oprah?

I have read in other forums about women who are made honorary members of sororities and was quite surprised at some of the names that were mentioned. I don't know how this process of determining who gets honorary status works (and I'm sure this is not for me to know), but I was wondering why Oprah Winfrey has not yet received such an honor from one of the black sororities. She has certainly been an icon in the African American community. Let me, for the record, apologize for my ignorance in advance if indeed she is already a member of one of the black greek organizations.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-03-2000, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
I read an article about Oprah and this topic was mentioned. She has been offered honorary membership in some of the orgs (she didn't say which ones) but she says she has no interest in it.

ZetaAce
Old 07-03-2000, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

I wonder why she chooses not to accept. If anyone deserves such an honor it is Oprah. As I read of the different women who were made honorary members (as I said in my first post)I was truly amazed. The women were indeed celebrities, but to have such honors bestowed upon them....let's just say I have never heard of any spectacular deeds or accomplishments that these ladies have done to be chosen over other persons such as Oprah or Susan Taylor (Essence magazine) to name a few. Of course, considering I know nothing about the process, I really shouldn't speak upon it. Thanks for the response!
Old 07-03-2000, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

I don't know why Oprah would not accept honorary membership into a BGLO sorority. She has accepted honorary degrees from various universities. What's the difference?I do remember when she had an episode that had this/these Kappa(s) from Missouri ( I think) where this one guy had allegedly been pledged so hard that he died or something. Anyway... during the conversation, Oprah mentioned that she did not "understand or was not familiar with the greek system..." or something to that effect. I was like come on, Oprah... you were at Tennessee State University during the PLEDGING process era, back then it was all out in the open. I am sure EVERYONE knew what was going on around that campus... but then again... she could have been one of those living under a rock or something. Or maybe she had a "bad experience."
Old 07-03-2000, 11:32 PM

Wink

I heard by rumor that Oprah once wanted to go on line for XYZ sorority,but didn't get accepted. And once she became OPRAH WINFREY XYZ sorority wanted to make her honorary. That's just my 1 cents.
Old 07-03-2000, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
I think she was lying when she said she didn't know anything about the greek system too. That could be a tv thing though.

Maybe she doesn't want to become honorary because she wants to actually dedicate her time to an organization that she joins. She seems very dedicated to the organizations that she is in and dedicated to devoting time to her business (lord knows she wears a lot of hats!). I think if that's one of her reasons, then that is very admirable. (Lord knows we don't need any more people with our letters who aren't doing anything in any of our organizations!)

ZetaAce

Old 07-04-2000, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

ZetaAce, I think you are right when you said that it could have been a TV thing. Sometimes to me, she seems like she tries to remove herself from "certain" situations.
Syrun, I agree 100% with what you heard.
That could be the issue. Since she admires and loves Soror Maya... you would think that she would want to follow in her footsteps...LOL... I am sure it is much "deeper" than that. Anyway...the organizations (all) will continue with the work that needs to be done regardless...
Old 07-04-2000, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's a question...did anyone consider the possibility that she may be against the Greek system? Remember, it's not for everyone, and she may have her reasons.
Old 07-04-2000, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Do any sororities donate to her Angel Network at all?

To answer your question,a chapter of Delta Sigma Theata did support her during her Angel Network project.
Oprah is doing alot for the community already. She even has the community doing community service. Does it really matter if she decided not to join any greek letter org.? I hear alot of sarcastic comments about something that is really,in a word, trivial

Old 07-04-2000, 01:38 AM
Intriguing15DST

She said once that she was very interested in xyz sorority when she was in college. (Oprah), and was denyed membership, she felt, because she was to dark, and she didn't fit in with the image of that sorority. Since then many of her celebrity friends are in that organization and have asked her to join, and she has turned it down. When I first read that, I just had to laugh because the women that I know of xyz sorority have been in for a minute, and are some of the darkest (and yes, most beautiful) women I have ever met.
Old 07-04-2000, 02:44 AM
hilton

Lightbulb

Oprah is well aware of the social leverage that her celebrity has. Maybe part of the reason for her declining is that she knows that if she were to accept membership in one group, there could be a stampede of ladies wanting to join that group since Oprah is a member, and this could potentially be at the expense of other groups on campus.

Another thing that she might not like is that GLO's, by their nature, do exclude people. This might not be something that she is comfortable with.

Old 07-04-2000, 04:06 AM

Smile

I agree with all the possibles reasons for why Oprah has accepted honoray membership.

But I have a couple questions.

With honorary membership, do the women not go through ritual? Because if they do wouldn't they be an alumnae initiate? I don't know the answer to these questions with how it even pertains to my own sorority, but it's always nagged at me.

And on to my devil's advocate question...

Why should she accept membership to any GLO?

She doesn't need the contacts.
She doesn't need the volunteer opportunities.
She doesn't need the publicity.

The woman is unbelievably incredible. Only the sorority would be getting bragging rights. She certainly doesn't need to say "I'm a MMM! Aren't we the greatest?"

If I was her I wouldn't see the point.

If anyone can come up with one let me know.
Old 07-05-2000, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

LOL @ ariesrising...that's cute OOO!!!
Old 07-05-2000, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

SoCalGirl I agree with you 122%!!! At this time in her life what's the point. Oprah is big enough to start her own sorority

Old 07-06-2000, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

OOO....you guys are hilarious!

But seriously, I think all the idea's posted here are very thoughtful. I have an uncle in Chicago that works for her and he says that she is a very complex women. You never know what goes on in a persons thought process.