GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,337
0 members and 2,337 guests
No Members online

Old 04-09-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKate1244 View Post
I'm going to be positively feral by the time this thing is over.
I'm with you. I work part-time for a chiropractor who is still open and seeing patients. I am not working until WI lifts the Safer at Home restrictions due to ongoing health issues. My job is thankfully safe, and I'm handling what office tasks I can remotely. Doing lots of reading, cleaning, walking the dog, cooking, and watching mindless TV. This extrovert really misses people.

DH is classified as essential and has been able to work from home since the 30th. His company is actually seeing a surge in business (pet supplies) worldwide.

Two of my guys are fully working from home. Eldest works for a college who apparently still has students on campus, somehow. He's essential (oversees residence halls) and lives in one of the states that does not have Safer at Home/Shelter in Place restrictions. He's doing what he can to minimize exposure to others but I still worry.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
Essential worker in Financial services working from home (attempting to). I have a 2 month old that thinks everything revolves around him and a 6year old that doesn't stop.

My hubby is a mechanic at a dealership and still has to go in to work. I send him to the stores since he's already out. I've only been out like 3 times this past month to go to the doctors or pick up a school packet for my oldest.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 04-09-2020, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Still working but now on the day shift instead of nights at a different location. I don’t do well with change and this has been hard. The location I have worked at for 22 years has been shut down and I am worried it won’t be opened again. For 23 years I have worked evenings so getting up to be at work at 7 am is quite an adjustment. Ultimately, I am happy to have a job and my same salary, I know I am lucky.

I do feel bad for clients as they are not allowed into the clinic to see their pet which is so hard. I try to arrange some visits outside but have to be careful as don’t want to get into any trouble with the boss. We have already had one positive employee exposure and that completely shut down one of the ER shifts for a week. Looking forward to the day this is all over. I was thinking about going part time next year, may do it sooner if this goes on for months.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIalum View Post
Two of my guys are fully working from home. Eldest works for a college who apparently still has students on campus, somehow. He's essential (oversees residence halls) and lives in one of the states that does not have Safer at Home/Shelter in Place restrictions. He's doing what he can to minimize exposure to others but I still worry.
I live in one of those states as well. Every other night the apartment complex across the street from me throws a party with 20+ people and until a few days ago there wasn't anything that could be done. Now anyone at a gathering of over 10 people can be given a misdemeanor and a fine. It's going to snow this weekend which I think will cut back on the darties more than a $600 fine.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

I'm a lawyer with a practice mostly in the area of family law. I'm very effectively working from home with my office lines forwarded to my cell and my postage machine and my trusty webcam, I can do whatever I could do prior to the lockdown. Non-emergency hearings are currently not happening.

I have held emergency hearings via Zoom. The courts are looking at a number of platforms, but I greatly prefer Zoom and have purchased a Pro account. Just yesterday I was able to conduct an Emergency custody hearing at which all parties could easily be present.

I don't mind appearing for court in gym shorts. I wouldn't mind some of these changes being permanent.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-10-2020, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

We've been in isolation for a month. Our house is cleaner than usual, but our cats fight more. We have five, so it's not unlike Cat Island at feeding time at any given hour.

I'm a college prof so all of my classes moved online. Wasn't a huge deal because a goodly chunk of my courses each semester are online or hybrid anyway. My boyfriend is working from home as well. It means he doesn't have to commute to San Francisco every day, but being stuck at home is driving him a little nuts. We only go out for vet appointments and groceries for ourselves and our parents, as they're all over 75 and two of them are immune compromised.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I don't mind appearing for court in gym shorts. I wouldn't mind some of these changes being permanent.
I think this is a change that most people would enjoy!
Old 04-11-2020, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been working from home for a month and I do not miss my commute at all. I wasn't sure if I'd miss seeing humans and on work days, I can say that I don't miss it. Weekends are a little different. My employer has us on 20% pay deferment indefinitely. Sometime between October 2020 and March 15, 2021, they will pay us all the pay with 6% interest. Now that my nest is empty, my budget can absorb that hit.

My kids and I chat more often than we had been and that's been nice. We play some online games together and that's fun. I can do this for another month or so without going insane, I think.

It will be interesting to see what kinds of changes become more permanent. For example, more dealerships have signed up for an app that allows people to shop from home and have a car delivered to them. The feedback from dealerships is very positive and a lot of them were wary of it before.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

My husband works for a large defense contractor and he's been working from home. Not sure when he'll be returning to work at the office.

With schools closed, I am no longer substitute teaching. I may or may not be taking on a long term assignment for a pre-kindergarten class at the beginning of the school year. Getting four year olds to wear masks all day, not allowing them to play together and no sharing of items will be...interesting.

My daughter is home from UCSB and taking her classes online. She's planning on returning to school in Sept. and there will likely be a hybrid approach. Large lectures will be online but her labs will be in person. Fortunately she already has signed her lease on her apartment.

My son is a high school senior who has now seen his end of the year activities disappear. His high school is trying their best to at least offer them a form of graduation. On 6/8/20 we'll join the rest of his class at the local drive in movie theater to watch the graduation video compiled of photos sent in from families along with the speakers who were filmed delivering their speeches. Last night was supposed to be their senior prom which would have been held up at the Science Center near downtown Los Angeles. However considering the state of civil unrest, it's better that they had to remain at home. He's now registered for classes to begin at the local community college this fall.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
My husband works for a large defense contractor and he's been working from home. Not sure when he'll be returning to work at the office.

With schools closed, I am no longer substitute teaching. I may or may not be taking on a long term assignment for a pre-kindergarten class at the beginning of the school year. Getting four year olds to wear masks all day, not allowing them to play together and no sharing of items will be...interesting.

My daughter is home from UCSB and taking her classes online. She's planning on returning to school in Sept. and there will likely be a hybrid approach. Large lectures will be online but her labs will be in person. Fortunately she already has signed her lease on her apartment.

My son is a high school senior who has now seen his end of the year activities disappear. His high school is trying their best to at least offer them a form of graduation. On 6/8/20 we'll join the rest of his class at the local drive in movie theater to watch the graduation video compiled of photos sent in from families along with the speakers who were filmed delivering their speeches. Last night was supposed to be their senior prom which would have been held up at the Science Center near downtown Los Angeles. However considering the state of civil unrest, it's better that they had to remain at home. He's now registered for classes to begin at the local community college this fall.
VERY happy that your son's school is being so understanding concerning Seniors! We got caught in the middle of a parade of cars that seniors had decorated, and were driving around in celebration. It was fun, and when it was time for us to get out of the parade, we tooted in solidarity!
Old 06-08-2020, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
VERY happy that your son's school is being so understanding concerning Seniors! We got caught in the middle of a parade of cars that seniors had decorated, and were driving around in celebration. It was fun, and when it was time for us to get out of the parade, we tooted in solidarity!

Thank you honeychile! Here is the coverage from our local paper on the parade. From a class of 420 they estimated that 300 participated! We had great cooperation from the city fire and police departments who coordinated with the school faculty and staff to see this fun activity happen. Also we're grateful to the neighbors who decorated, cheered and graciously let the parade take over their streets for two hours.

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2020/06/...-neighborhood/
Old 06-08-2020, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Thank you honeychile! Here is the coverage from our local paper on the parade. From a class of 420 they estimated that 300 participated! We had great cooperation from the city fire and police departments who coordinated with the school faculty and staff to see this fun activity happen. Also we're grateful to the neighbors who decorated, cheered and graciously let the parade take over their streets for two hours.

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2020/06/...-neighborhood/
I am Verkemp! Congratulations to the Class of 2020!
Old 08-24-2020, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Old 08-24-2020, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Ha!