GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,448
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Theanex
» Online Users: 2,410
2 members and 2,408 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig

Old 05-30-2007, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Alright, I have time, so I am posting this now. Big reveal tomorrow, though. Gotta keep you on your toes.

I got invites to events from the following chapters:
Margo Channing
Babe Williams
Dolly Levi
Cora Hooper

Because I am currently acting in one play and producing another, my rehearsal schedule conflicts with a lot of the events. I knew going in that I was not going to accept a bid for Cora Hooper, so now I have to consider the other three... and the one time that events are scheduled for that I can attend them happens to have events for Margo Channing, Babe Williams, AND Dolly Levi! This means that (a) I can only attend one recruitment event, which seriously worries me because I don't know if they will remember me after only one, and (b) I can only be recruited by one sorority, because obviously they won't extend a bid to a girl they have not met.

So I've got to take a good hard look at Margo, Babe, and Dolly and decide which group I will be calling to say "Sorry, I can only come to one event; I hope that's okay" and which groups I will be telling "Sorry, I can't make it to any events, but gosh-I-wish-I-could."

While I really liked DOLLY LEVI during recruitment, I still can't get over the fact that they cut me right before prefs. However, they are my mother's sorority and I feel a strong connection to them because of her. I also feel like I should have a loyalty to them because Babe Williams and Margo Channing both cut me after round two, but Dolly Levi kept me for round three. They also have the prettiest house.

During recruitment, MARGO CHANNING was a house I grew to like a lot more during round two (I ranked them seventh during round one, but first during round two). On the one hand, this was my top choice when they cut me, so I feel that I should definitely want to go back this time. On the other hand, I've only been there twice and the first time I didn't connect with them as much as Dolly Levi or Babe Williams, so there is always the chance that I might not like them as much this time... or I might like them just as much!

I liked BABE WILLIAMS equally each round that I saw them during recruitment... for round one they were right below Dolly Levi and right above Margo Channing and for round two they were third, below Margo Channing and above Dolly Levi. I feel like I can count on liking these girls just as much as I did during formal recruitment, whereas my opinions on the other chapters switched between rounds.

Well, I picked a chapter and decided to go for it. I attended the one event, which I had to leave early for a dress rehearsal. I walked in and was greeted by the freshman year roommate of one of my Kate Monster friends... she was a member of the chapter who pledged during formal recruitment my freshman year! I had an awesome time at the event... I even met two girls who were involved in theatre! I stayed talking to one of the girls for so long that I was almost late to rehearsal! On my way to rehearsal, I called a family member who is a member of this house to tell her that her sorority was definitely the perfect place for me and I hoped I would be getting a bid from her house when I stopped by Greek Life on Bid Day.

So.........

Was it DOLLY LEVI, which would make my mom a Delta Gamma? Did I give Dolly a second chance?
Was it MARGO CHANNING, which means I have another family member who is a DG? Did I go for my first choice from the first time around?
Or Was it BABE WILLIAMS, which means I have another family member who is a DG? Did I go for the chapter I knew I would definitely like just as much as I did the first time around?

Until tomorrow, ladies... feel free to place your bets.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphagamuga View Post
Since DramaDawg is making us wait, I've highjacked some:

Because I'm a complete nerd, I pulled up the UMD greek life grade report from Fall of 06 since that was the most recent. I didn't look like anyone had above 95 members. And that would have reflected the results of formal rush.

Maybe you all could drop total to about 75 or so. At first girls might have to go through formal to get bids since there'd be fewer open slots in the fall, but since quota can be adjusted based on the number of girls, they could find homes in the spring.

At UGA some groups who always make quota have way above total, but it's still set reasonably enough that most groups don't have to hold year round rush to be at total.

Is lowering total something that your PC talks about? Why does it get shot down?
I think it's the size of the houses that keeps them from dropping the total below 90- houses don't like to get into situations where they have to "force" girls to live in for 2 years (even though I know it happened when I was there- not in my house but in others) I know that since I graduated my house that slept 41-42 women actually had a waiting list @ one point. A few of the larger houses (Tridelt, KD, Theta and AOPi come to mind) sleep 50-60+ I believe, so having a total of 75 would not work for them.

I can't speak for PC- also I haven't read that report- can you provide a link?
Old 05-30-2007, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgdramadawg View Post
Was it DOLLY LEVI, which would make my mom a Delta Gamma? Did I give Dolly a second chance?

OK so I will be the first and am totally betting on Dolly Levi because I love seeing girls go their legacy chapter. I know its corny but to me it would be that much more special for a daughter to share that with her mother.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh nice work, DGDramadawg. You know how to build suspense. I will be checking in tomorrow for sure!

As far as UMD, I hope I didn't mislead you. It's just the grade rankings, but it has the number of members on it:http://www.union.umd.edu/greek_life/...20-%202006.pdf

Maybe you're right about the reasons they don't want to lower it. It's interesting to wonder if numbers are higher with year round rushing or if they are higher when there's a perception of scarcity in opportunities to be Greek. You know what I mean? Would more girls join over time if there was just one big formal rush they knew they had to participate in, instead of always knowing they can rush the next semester?
Old 05-30-2007, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, as I posted earlier, I'm 100% positive I know who Babe Williams is.

So...at least that narrows things down for me. (I won't say in what way, so as not to spoil the fun for everyone else trying to guess.)
Old 05-30-2007, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Margo Channing. I know it.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Meanie! I want to know now! Oh, well...I guess I can wait!
Old 05-30-2007, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

We actually talked about extension, and I was on the extension committee, but it was shot down. Those numbers seem funny. I know we gave bids up to 95, but I think we had one girl withdraw after recruitment, so maybe that's why our number is listed as 94 instead of 95. The thing with informal is that there are tons of chapters who COULD take up to 95 and merely choose not to. Yet when we talked about extension, they're whining that "only 3 chapters were at total in the fall." Whose fault is that? (There are a few chapters that try to get up to 95 and can't, but I am not talking about those.)
Old 05-30-2007, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So.........

Was it MARGO CHANNING, which means I have another family member who is a DG? Did I go for my first choice from the first time around?
Or Was it BABE WILLIAMS, which means I have another family member who is a DG? Did I go for the chapter I knew I would definitely like just as much as I did the first time around?

i'm also gonna cast my vote and say you went to Dolly Levi. I mean, we already know which house you went with, and you havent made any mention of any other family members being greek. Then again, you kinda randomly threw in that you were a legacy via your mom. I doubt you'd randomly call a family member (another DG) without calling your mom first and telling her how excited you were...

But who knows - im enjoying the twists.

(in my Chicago singing voice) "We... want... (more)storrrrrrrrryyyyyyy"
Old 05-30-2007, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's a hint for those who know UGA well (don't know that it will help anyone else):

The three chapters that were participating in spring recruitment for which I did not attend events were:
Alpha Chi Omega (Magnolia Hawkins)
Sigma Delta Tau (Kate Monster)
Delta Phi Epsilon (Cora Hooper)

That means the three houses that I had to choose between for the one event were:
Delta Gamma
Alpha Gamma Delta
Gamma Phi Beta
Old 05-30-2007, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Here's a hint for those who know UGA well (don't know that it will help anyone else):

The three chapters that were participating in spring recruitment for which I did not attend events were:
Alpha Chi Omega (Magnolia Hawkins)
Sigma Delta Tau (Kate Monster)
Delta Phi Epsilon (Cora Hooper)

That means the three houses that I had to choose between for the one event were:
Delta Gamma
Alpha Gamma Delta
Gamma Phi Beta
That seals it - I know who's who now.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan314 View Post
That seals it - I know who's who now.
between you and dgdramadawg
no fair! first she leaves us hanging and then you make tantalizingly unfair statements to those of us who lack such insider knowledge! grrrrr!

i'm going to go with dolly as well since i don't know why you would have thrown in that huge MY MOM IS A MEMBER OF DOLLY LEVI in such a huge dramatic fashion (though you are a theater person so who knows...) only to let us know that she got "the call..." so yes. dolly gets my vote, followed by babe.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, the first house I decided to call to give my regrets was BABE WILLIAMS. While I really liked Babe both rounds during recruitment, the last time I saw them they were still lower on my list than Margo, and they didn't have another chance for me to meet them without comparison to other chapters during round three like Dolly. When I called the Gamma Phi Beta house, the girl I spoke to was really nice and said she wished I could make the event and she was sorry I had rehearsal.

Then I was down to two: DOLLY LEVI and MARGO CHANNING.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I know who it is!!! (I think, because of the order in which you named the houses, but I won't spoil it for anyone )
Old 05-31-2007, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, the first call that I made when I left Delta Gamma's event (where I met my big and my future roommate) was to my mom, of course. She was also the first person I called when I picked up my bid from the Greek Life Office. She was so proud and happy for me!

BUT (plot twist!) the SECOND call that I made after leaving the event and after picking up my bid was to my AUNT, a member of Delta Gamma! Of course I wanted to let my Alpha Gam Mom know about my happiness, but I was also so excited about DG and needed to share that excitement with my Aunt... even just after my first ritual on the night of bid day, I realized how special it was to be able to call her to talk about things that I can't share with my mom or any of the other Greeks in my family.

Yes, that's right, MARGO CHANNING was Delta Gamma and DOLLY LEVI was Alpha Gamma Delta. In the end, even though I felt a tug of loyalty to my mother, I just felt that I would always wonder "what if" if I didn't attend the event at Margo Channing/Delta Gamma, my first choice from formal recruitment. My mom totally understood, because it was more important to her for me to love the house I pledged than to be her sister. As soon as I walked into Delta Gamma, I knew I had made the right choice... they were genuinely excited to have me there and by the time I left I was sure it was a perfect fit for me.