GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 737
0 members and 737 guests
No Members online

Old 09-17-2002, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amandamarie Send a message via Yahoo to amandamarie
Question

As you've already been to your info-view, I was wondering what all happened. What kind of stuff did you have to fill out? Do you know anything about part time status? Tonight went so well, and now I'm stressing yet again about if I'm even eligible. Grrrrrrr
Old 09-17-2002, 11:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shark_in_Skirt Send a message via Yahoo to Shark_in_Skirt
Rock,

I just wanted to drop a quick note and encourage you to keep your head up! I bet EVERY other girl in that room feels just as insecure as you do... after all, having a bunch of strangers mulling around isn't really all that comfortable for anybody!

I'll be sending good thoughts your way.

XOXO,
Annie.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Amanda, I don't know about part-time status either. I didn't even think to ask about that, although I should have since I'm going part-time too.

The only thing I had to fill out was an information sheet - name, year in school, major, GPA, high school & college activities, work experience, and whether anyone in your family was in an NPC sorority.

After reading the responses in your thread about part-time students, I'm seriously considering just forgetting the whole idea. I have two exams tomorrow. I can't afford to waste time on an organization that won't accept me.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

RockChalk:
Please give it a chance! You still don't have all the information you need so why not stick it out and see what happens? You were so excited about this to start with so don't let the confusion get you down.
Please consider sticking with it. If it doesn't work out then its just a few hours of your time spent learning something you didn't know before.
Let us know what happens. Good luck
Old 09-18-2002, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm headed off to my infoview. I'm going to ask briefly about the part time situation, without divulging too much info. My stance, if they don't ask me, I'm not gonna tell. I'll post as soon afterwards as I can. I hope that this will work out for both of us, we've looked forward to it for soooo long. Here's to crossing my fingers!
-Amanda
Old 09-18-2002, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi ladies,
Please remember that recruitment can be a very impersonal experience -- whether it's formal recruitment or colonization. Often times during the first day of formal recruitment most sororities have to select women based on their resume only. But don't get discouraged -- things will work out either way.

Good luck!
Old 09-18-2002, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

About the part-time thing: Without divulging your status, maybe it would be best to call the panhellenic office at KU about how many hours of school you must be enrolled in to be in a sorority. The number of hours of school gets into scholarship issues and other stuff
Old 09-18-2002, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Well, I just got done with my info-view, and my fears have been confirmed. You must be a full time student in order to be accepted. Here's my dilemma though, up until this semester, I have been full time. Should I continue with the process, and if it comes up, say that I had enrollment problems (which I did)? Also, next semester, I'm going to be attending a nearby community college. I don't want to have to wait until next fall to join a sorority, when I return to KU as full time, by that time, I'll be entering my 4th (of at least 5) year, and I don't feel like my chances of being bid will be very good. This is all so extremely frustrating. I've been wanting to join one since my freshman year, but due to grades and finances have been unable. Also, the girl whom I had my infoview with (the PNM, not the advisor) was really REALLY annoying lol. Please let me know what you think I should do, if anything, you guys have been soooo much help!
-Amanda
Old 09-18-2002, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

If that's the case, then I won't be going to any more recruitment events.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok,
I know there are other PNMs from KU out there reading this post anonymously -- please don't give up!

Amandamarie and RockChalk -- It is probably a panhellenic rule not ZTA's rule that a woman must be enrolled full-time at KU to be a member of a sorority. If you join while you are a full-time student and then take time off or transfer, many sororities will give you alumna status, but if they know you will be going to a different school at the time they get their charter, this might not work in your favor. I'm sorry that this hasn't gone the way you planned.

But for the women who are still out there reading -- don't give up! Keep going to the events. And even if you don't match with ZTA, there will be other sororities doing COB this year.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Jhawkalum,

I appreciate your efforts to cheer me up, but I honestly don't see the point in continuing. This is my last semester. Even though I have been enrolled full-time in the past, I never will be again. (Unless I pursue a 2nd bachelor's degree, which is two years away at best.)

I'm sorry, I think my time would be better spent elsewhere. This was a nice dream, but that's all it is. A dream. It's not and will never be reality.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
To the best of my knowledge, all NPC groups require members to be fully/regulary enrolled at the university/college. Taking time off for internships/study abroad is allowed, but initially, you must be a full-time student. The full-time thing is NOT just a Zeta thing, it's across the board.

If you have plans to be a full-time student next semester and will continue to do so until graduation, please speak to the colony organizers before giving up all hope. You won't know until you ask, nest ce' pas? And if you don't ask and later find out something was possible, you would feel even worse.

If it truly won't work out during undergrad, please consider alumnae initation. It is just as meaningful and will bring you a lifetime of sisterhood.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.

Last edited by PenguinTrax; 09-18-2002 at 11:58 AM.