GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,422
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, indisigma00
» Online Users: 2,653
3 members and 2,650 guests
Cookiez17, indisigma00

Old 07-13-2007, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Time Commitment Worries

I've been planning on going through recruitment this fall, but lately I've been having some second thoughts. I keep hearing about the large time commitment, and I'm getting a little worried. It's not like I don't want to put a lot of time in should I receive a bid, but I'm concerned that I won't have enough time to focus on everything else. I'm sure that every chapter at every school is different, but in general, how much time could I expect to be putting in during a new member period?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-13-2007, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I would say, in general, you're going to have a NM Meeting (1-2 Hours), Chapter Meeting (2-3 Hours), weekly NM activity, things like Big Sis Night, N exchanges with other sororities, Fashion Shows, etc (1 1/2 hours). That's going to be the mandatory stuff...plus one or two All-Greek Education per semester and 2 or so NPC wide events (NM induction, All NPC NM Mixers...). I think about 7 hours a week would be a safe estimate for a 60-80 member chapter. Of course, there will be optional stuff as well.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

7 hours is a good estimate- but think about it this way- how much time would you spend just hanging out with your friends? Your sorority might have study tables for people with under a certain GPA- but you would be studying anyway so does that really take away from your time somewhere else? You will have socials, but would you go out anyway?

Sororites do take time, however we had pre-med, engineering, and theatre majors all in my chapter (all majors that take up allot of time outside of class) as well as athletes, and even a couple people in ROTC and they all had enough time to be fairly active members.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL, this is a common worry whether Fraternity or Sorority for a PNM.

Will there be obligations on your time, also remember that GLOs have a higher GPA than just normal students on the overall. Why, because we expect you to make your grades to:

1. Get initiated.
2. To stay active.

Yes there will times when your time will not be your own such as Homecoming or a major function such as a charity event. But, school is the major event and we all know that. You are there to graduate and go into the bigger world of finance, teaching, homemaking, or what ever your endevor will be.

But, in the long run, you will make friendships that will be ever lasting!

I should know, I have been doing this for 42 years and My Brothers are still some of my best friends!

I can also count many from not only my Fraternity but others from all GLOs.

That is what a GLO can do for you!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-13-2007, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I think 7 hrs is a really low estimate
my chapter had study hours 5 days a week, 2 and a half hours a day
i must have spent at least 40 hrs a week on sorority things, if not actually with the sorority
however, my grades went up!

Old 07-13-2007, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Were you required to be at a certain location for study hours? If you just had to study for 2 1/2 hours a day in your dorm room or whatever, I wouldn't really count that, as you'd probably (or should) be doing that anyway...and even if you do have to be at the house, or at the library, etc, it's just a matter of location, and I think it would be negotiable if you had another activity at that time.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I think every school is different. When I was going through my new member period I think it was about 10 hrs a week, give or take the activities that were going on (i.e. the week of greek week is a lot busier than just a plain week with no weekend mixers, etc.) but of course we had study hours too!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Were you required to be at a certain location for study hours? If you just had to study for 2 1/2 hours a day in your dorm room or whatever, I wouldn't really count that, as you'd probably (or should) be doing that anyway...and even if you do have to be at the house, or at the library, etc, it's just a matter of location, and I think it would be negotiable if you had another activity at that time.
We had in-house study hours that had to be monitored, but it was usually done in the library & the hours were flexible. If the study monitor couldn't be there to monitor your hours you could always get a librarian to sign for you instead.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the Greek life time committment is manageable for just about any traditional student, in terms of the bare minimum requirements. That said, you get out of a sorority what you're willling to put into the sorority...

I spent about 15-20 hours a week on sorority stuff during my NM period. Only a fraction of this time was actual mandatory stuff (new member meetings, philanthropy, etc.) but I felt the additional time was necessary. Sometimes I spent way more than that. 15-20 hours was probably about the average that members of my NM class spent on AXO.

When you join a sorority, I actually recommend that you spend as much time as possible with your sisters in the beginning -- this is where that "big time committment" comes in. There are a few reasons for this: these are some of the best bonding times with your sisters and it shows your early dedication to the org. (which is extremely beneficial if you ever decide to pursue an executive board position).

I had sisters in my new member class that actually spent about 30hrs a week with sorority stuff on top of mandatory sorority activities. Studying at the house, hanging out with actives in their rooms or apartments, meeting up with sisters at the library, going out to dinner, shopping, going to parties or staying in with movies on the weekends, pledge class bonding activities, etc.

But you know what? It doesn't feel like a crazy time committment because all this stuff is really, really fun. A lot of the things you need to do in college (studying, extracurriculars, volunteering) is just a lot better when you have a sister to do it with you.

Yes, there were members of my NM class that spent the bare minimum in terms of time with the sorority. It can be done, as long as you do all the mandatory stuff. While these girls were happy in AXO, these were also the sisters that didn't really bond as well with everyone else, at least not right away, and they sometimes felt left out/lonely when everyone else formed really strong relationships with other sisters. Women who put in the bare minimum were also at a disadvantage when running for a position within the chapter, because members simply didn't know them as well or think they were as strong of a choice as a sister who put in more time/effort.

Like I said, I highly recommend you put in a lot of time to the sorority at the beginning. It is a time committment, but if sorority life is your thing, it's barely noticeable.

As a final aside, and just to echo what others have said: The first -- and only -- semester I earned a 4.0 was my new member semester. If you're good at time management, a sorority can only enhance your academic and social life at college.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 07-13-2007, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AChiOhSnap View Post
But you know what? It doesn't feel like a crazy time committment because all this stuff is really, really fun. A lot of the things you need to do in college (studying, extracurriculars, volunteering) is just a lot better when you have a sister to do it with you.
I completely agree with you!

While it was certainly a time commitment, it never felt like a chore or something that I had to squeeze into my schedule. It was always fun and fulfilling. And like others have said, most of the things you're doing are things that you would be doing in some form or another anyway...but it's more fun, and often more efficient, to do these things with your sisters. With basic time management, it's definitely doable.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

When you go through recruitment, the time committment will be discussed. By going through recruitment, you haven't committed yourself to anything. It's an opportunity to see if this would be something you would want to do.

Sororities are committed to making sure their members do well in school and get involved with non-sorority activities. It makes them look better to have members with top GPAs and campus achievements, so while sorority membership is a time committment, it's not going to prevent you from doing well in school, going home to see your family, make non-sorority friends or get involved with non-Greek organizations.

Hope this helps! Give it a try-- if it isn't something you can see yourself doing once you have all of the facts or experience of it, you aren't bound to it.

ETA: If this helps, I worked my way through college to pay for school, had a 3.5 GPA and was involved in other activities, internships, etc., outside of the sorority. I also held a few leadership positions in the sorority and lived in the house at one point, as well. There are a ton of "extras" as a member-- things you can do that are not mandatory to retaining membership like the social mixers, intramural sports games, parties, optional community service projects, etc.-- you go to a few of these, of course, but not every single one. I had to pick and choose, and it was fine.

Last edited by adpiucf; 07-13-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:03 PM

It really depends on the school and sorority.

As a new member, I probably spent at least 8-10 hours a week doing sorority stuff. Of course some weeks are busier than others because of things like Greek Week, Homecoming, Relay for Life, etc.

There are required activites like chapter and new member meetings, community service, retreats, and speakers. Then there are others that are optional but encouraged like formals, sisterhood events, and date parties.

You can choose to only do the mandatory sorority stuff because you want to have time for other things. Girls who did this didn't have much fun and they really didn't gain much from the sorority experience.

Every member has other obligations besides the sorority. Most sororities give you calendars of events in advance so you can manage your time. If you manage your time well enough, you will have more than enough time for a sorority, schoolwork, and other activities.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's very much that you get out of it what you put in to it.

The required stuff doesn't take that much time, especially once you are initiated (which will cover basically all the time other than the first semester), but the people who get the most out of their GLOs are the people who make it their number one activity or who live in the house.

I'll second the person who pointed out that you don't have to decide before recruitment, but remember that recruitment at some schools is even more intense that regular membership would be. (The only time that I as an out-of-house sister regularly spent 12+ hour days at the house was during recruitment.)

It'd be a perfectly appropriate recruitment question but think carefully about how you phrase it. You want to make sure you communicate that you do want to be involved.

Maybe you ask your rushers, tell me about a week in the life of an XYZ new member? (that sounds cheesy but you get the idea, I think.)
Old 07-13-2007, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the responses. The main reason that I'm concerned is that if I do it, I want to do it all the way. It's really important to me that I give my all in most everything that I do. It helps to hear some numbers (whether they're accurate or not) because my brain just works that way. I'm still not sure if I will have enough time for everything that I want to do, however. I'm planning on being a major, which I've heard is a pretty time consuming major. Greek life is something that I think would be really great, so I think that I would choose that over being a member of multiple clubs or something like that. I think I'm going to go through with recruitment and make my mind up from there. Thanks again.

Last edited by WaterChild; 09-17-2008 at 04:07 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 07-13-2007, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I was a music major. My biggest time commitments for music were Marching Band (about 15-20 hours a week), Opera workshop (7 hours a week), University Singers (7 hours a week, plus practice time), and practicing for applied lessons (vocal, in my case), as well as various tech classes (piano, brass, strings, etc). Yes, obviously, I had a ton of overlapping, and had to plan things out very carefully. It can be done. Actually, my 2 biggest conflicts between music and sorority were marching band practice that overlapped with rush and chapter that overlapped with a required class one semester.