GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,320
1 members and 2,319 guests
No Members online

Old 12-12-2006, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
What, like being against gay marriage? Yeah, its terrible . . . *trim* . . . Thankfully, the rest of the country doesn't share your values, or lack thereof.
This argument obviously has no end, but the exact quote I referenced - "A child has a right to a mother and a father" - seems extremely odd as a stance against gay marriage . . . any thoughts, since the institution of marriage is not at all 'sanctioned' for the purposes of child birth, rearing, or anything similar? (I say this because he was challenging a legal ruling in this case, not to start an 'ethics' argument)

Also, he's wavered in the past on these 'traditional' values - when he ran for Senate in MA in '96 he said he would always support legal abortion, even though he was personally against it, because of the experience of a relative . . . he now wants to ban all abortions except in cases of rape (or threatened life).

Just saying, these are the kinds of issues he'll have to deal with to be elected.

Last edited by KSig RC; 12-12-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-12-2006, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Mystic, I think you might turn out to be wrong.
Well, there's a first time for everything, and this well could be it.

I'm speaking mainly from personal observation. I have a hard time imagining many in the evangelical wing of the GOP voting for him, and many of the old-line (fiscally conservative, small government, socially libertarian-leaning) Republicans that I know would, I think, also be hesitant.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, the early polling shows that his biggest problem will be in the south. However, there won't be any significant opposition there.

Mitt has wavered somewhat on abortion, but I'm not concerned. Its actually getting blown up a bit I think. Its primary season, time to move to your base. Every politician does.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur532 View Post
God I'm so glad I don't live in the south.
So are we.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur532 View Post
Oh whoops, I forgot that creationism is a totally acceptable thing to believe. Yeah, gay marriage is so wrong, there are only so many marriage licenses and if Teh Gays get them then how will straight people be able to get married in vegas only to divorce a day later? Gay people make a mockery of love I tell you!
God I'm so glad I don't live in the south.
I love liberals, especially the really stupid ones.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, the early polling shows that his biggest problem will be in the south. However, there won't be any significant opposition there.
Time will tell, and as I said at the outset, I may well be wrong.

But seeing as how it's only been 10 years since the Southern Baptist Convention described Mormons as people who need to be converted to Christianity, and how Focus on the Family considers Mormonism a non-Christian faith on a par with Islam, Buddhism and Hunduism (none of which are likely to been seen as pluses by conservative voters), I'm not seeing that wing of the party endorsing the prospect of a Mormon in the White House.

As I said, time will tell.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I love liberals, especially the really stupid ones.
I'd consider myself rational, not liberal. Also I have this thing where I think everyone should get to be happy. Silly of me I know.
Well at least you don't pretend you're not a bigot, I'll give you that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
So are we.
This shirt made me think of you:
http://www.tshirthell.com/store/prod...?productid=704

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Last edited by AlexMack; 12-12-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
This argument obviously has no end, but the exact quote I referenced - "A child has a right to a mother and a father" - seems extremely odd as a stance against gay marriage . . . any thoughts, since the institution of marriage is not at all 'sanctioned' for the purposes of child birth, rearing, or anything similar? (I say this because he was challenging a legal ruling in this case, not to start an 'ethics' argument)

Also, he's wavered in the past on these 'traditional' values - when he ran for Senate in MA in '96 he said he would always support legal abortion, even though he was personally against it, because of the experience of a relative . . . he now wants to ban all abortions except in cases of rape (or threatened life).

Just saying, these are the kinds of issues he'll have to deal with to be elected.
Perhaps my liberal ilk should throw flip-flops at him like people did to Kerry in 2004.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

How could someone vote for a presidential candidate who is Mormon? I'm not kidding.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyPenguin View Post
Perhaps my liberal ilk should throw flip-flops at him like people did to Kerry in 2004.
Haha, the flip flops...that was both witty and classy.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 12-12-2006, 05:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to sdsuchelle
I think I would support Barack Obama before Hillary Clinton. There is something about him that is very likable and trustworthy.

I JUST started reading his latest book, so maybe I'll formulate better opinions after that.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Delt Alum, I believe governors do better because it's much easier to see a Senator's voting record and use it against him. No matter how in line a Sen's views are with the majority of the people, they'll always vote things that piss someone off or can be used in a campaign ad. Kerry blew it when he tried to explain his "flip flop" and the votes he made were logical.

Governor's can be active by saying "I'm going to change X" and even if they never accomplish it, it's not the Gov's fault, it's the legislators. Plus only one state will be pissed at him at a time.

/Sorry a bit of a ramble.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Centaur. I'm not a bigot. Prove me wrong. I absolutely dare you.

I could vote for a mormon without a problem. I have several Mormon friends, and my prime recommendation for law school was a Mormon professor (and my favorite undergrad prof). They are genuine, nice people who have high moral standards. As for the south, the SBC doesn't run the south. Obviously there will be a hold up, but seeing as Mitt will likely emerge as the most conservative realistic candidate, I don't think you'll see southerners swarming to the polls for McCain or a certain yank from NY. Unless something happens (scandal!), I think Mitt will be the GOP candidate. You can hold me to it.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I could vote for a mormon without a problem.
Would you vote for someone who believes in Santa?
Old 12-12-2006, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I might, if they'd be a good president. I think the Mormon faith is misguided, but come on, its not scientology or anything.