GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,641
1 members and 1,640 guests
No Members online

Old 11-16-2017, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Ohio State University suspends 37 Fraternities

From earlier tonight...

http://nbc4i.com/2017/11/16/ohio-sta...ion-of-hazing/
Old 11-16-2017, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

At least they didn't kick out the sororities.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
At least they didn't kick out the sororities.
Exactly my thought! Hooray for one of these universities finally making a distinction between IFC and NPC on this issue. Also, thankfully for identifying social events vs. chapter meetings, elections/officer transition etc. While some may push the envelope and call a kegger a chapter meeting, as was discussed on another thread, this approach gives chapters an opportunity to continue to function reasonably while giving the university time to establish a time out relating to inappropriate behavior. There is a distinction!

This is the most well thought out approach we have seen from the universities rolling out these recent sanctions.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

11 groups were being investigated.

So that justifies the school to shut down the 26 which weren't being investigated? This is some bullshit.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-17-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
Exactly my thought! Hooray for one of these universities finally making a distinction between IFC and NPC on this issue.
So none of these sororities, either individual members or as a unit, ever consumed alcohol or drugs illegally at the fraternity houses (or anywhere for that matter) or turned a blind eye to hazing?

When a university by these sorts of actions strengthens a "bad boys/good girls" dichotomy, it just drives a larger wedge between men and women, which these days is certainly large enough.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
11 groups were being investigated.

So that justifies the school to shut down the 26 which weren't being investigated? This is some bullshit.
Once again, we both agree, but the mass are the ones who suffer and here we go again!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-17-2017, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
So none of these sororities, either individual members or as a unit, ever consumed alcohol or drugs illegally at the fraternity houses (or anywhere for that matter) or turned a blind eye to hazing?

When a university by these sorts of actions strengthens a "bad boys/good girls" dichotomy, it just drives a larger wedge between men and women, which these days is certainly large enough.
Can the term "codependent enabler" be applied to an organization like a sorority?
Old 11-17-2017, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

The trouble is that per group, YMMV, which is why these bans are completely ridiculous. There are likely sororities who are more guilty of this risky behavior than some fraternities which were penalized. It's almost like the President's justification for his travel ban--we need to stop the activity so we can figure out what the problem is. We know what the problem is. We know the complexities of solving the problem. Taking a one or two month hiatus doesn't get us any closer to the answer.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTau View Post
Can the term "codependent enabler" be applied to an organization like a sorority?
Absolutely. I'll never forget a post I read here or somewhere where a sorority member said that she was so sorry the XYZ fraternity had closed because it was her place of drinking. She wasn't sorry the guys had lost their brotherhood, or that hazing or rule violations had occurred,she was just sorry she no longer had a place to drink. As long as NPC groups keep thinking that this is okay, empowering women is a pipe dream.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Absolutely. I'll never forget a post I read here or somewhere where a sorority member said that she was so sorry the XYZ fraternity had closed because it was her place of drinking. She wasn't sorry the guys had lost their brotherhood, or that hazing or rule violations had occurred,she was just sorry she no longer had a place to drink. As long as NPC groups keep thinking that this is okay, empowering women is a pipe dream.
This makes me think a lot about the chapters of NPC sororities that speak out about their inability to host parties in their houses. I don't believe that girls are inherently more responsible or mature than boys in college, but it's difficult to narrow down the responsible parties in these situations when girls are told they can't have alcohol in their houses, can't host parties, etc. Obviously no national HQ is going to condone underage drinking, but by having realistic and equal expectations of both fraternities and sororities, perhaps we could prevent some of these situations.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:50 PM

Back when George, Tom and Ben were signing the Declaration of Independence, we had parties in our small, unofficial houses. We thought it would be awfully rude to just trash the guys' houses all the time without a reciprocal event or two and what's more, it was nice to know we didn't have to deal with any individuals we found problematic. Women feel that in a different way than men and I don't want to turn guys who are my friends into policemen.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm afraid, y'all. Really afraid. These suspensions are coming fast and furious.

Have there been any announcements from the NPC, NIC, etc.? I'm looking for some type of statement from our leadership, some move to action. We need some acknowledgment that we are here to stay and we won't turn our backs on the members we've lost and how these tragedies happened.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

From a top of the org standpoint, I support the wait and see approach. First, you don't know whether some other organization will choose to make a stand here. Second, you don't really know how this will play out and perhaps it's best to learn what we can and let the chapters and national organizations have a more thoughtful approach next time. We can also work with our FSL offices and administrations to help them develop more effective approaches here.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I am sure that our leadership is communicating amongst themselves. I'm just wondering what's happening and when we'll see some type of response.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Per our chapter advisor, we are not one of the 11.