GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,331
3 members and 1,328 guests
Titchou

Old 05-02-2007, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

VT Acknowledgement and value of sorority life

First, my sympathies to VT students and alum. As a UVA grad, well, you're our sister school and I and my fellow Wahoos feel for you and are here for you.

VT Mom -- thank you for caring about your daughter's interest and trying to learn about Greek life. For those who hadn't experienced it, many reject it outright. My congrats on your committment to learn and understand.

The irony that I've witnessed is that so much money is spent for tuition and books (and housing and meals and student fees, etc.) -- no to make light of it, such a staggering number! -- yet people hesitate on the personal development investment that Greek life entails. Sororities focus on developing those parts of the person that the classroom doesn't -- handling yourself with others, esp. in difficult situations and/or meeting new people, program management, building a resume with real experience acknowledged in the workplace, ensuring that service to those less priviledged remains a priority, respect for others and learning how to make relationships work even when you may not especially like the other, etc. For me, the greatest lesson I learned from Greek life was to lead a balanced life, and how to approach that in my life outside. All the discussion of "fines" alludes to the fact that from a national perspective, these NPC groups are committed to helping people maximize their potential and learn to be well-rounded individuals who will contribute to society. Yes, there are requirements for meetings and socials, sports activities and service projects. Requirements to spend time with large and small groups of sisters, and (most importantly) to keep your grades solid. How many college students implicitly know how to achieve such a balance?

By having alumnae, on the national level and local, involved with the women, they can help coach the students to achieve this balance. The local alumnae are also paying attention to the invidual members, so they can identify and act re: problems that might exist. These problems, whether with grades, eating disorders, alcohol and/or drug issues, time management, deaths in the family, etc. -- these are not created by GLO membership, but rather present in them as well as outside of them. Sorority members benefit by having alums present and attentive and trained to be attuned to these issues and mature enough to help. They train the sisters to also be aware of how to recognize and help. For some of these issues, though, a dorm mate or even undergraduate sister may not feel comfortable "getting involved." These alums will.

And membership is for a lifetime, for all of these groups. There are networking and continuing education opportunities. And once the competitiveness that surfaces during recruitment and college days, the general respect for fellow greeks, during hiring processes and contract negotiations, well again, that investment during the college years is small compared to that tuition and room fee.

When I went through recruitment, I honest had no intention of joining, but thought the experience of meeting so many people, making small talk, etc. was important. The experience after joining made that initial benefit pale in comparison.

So some thoughts to consider. I wish your daughter every luck.