GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Phi > Phi Sigma Sigma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,453
2 members and 2,451 guests
davidsholzeo679, JayhawkAOII

Old 07-10-2003, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorority not socializing (a little long)

I'm not sure what to title this thread as but here is my situation:

I feel as though my chapter is not getting out and meeting people or other groups (greeks Included) around campus. They seem to segregate themselves. I ask people from different organizations do you know any phi sig (prior to me becoming a rho chi) and they will say no except for you because I see you out and meeting people or one sister because she was the homecoming queen and she's very social and knows alot of people, other than that the rest of the girls only hang out with certain people. And they wonder why we are the smallest sorority on campus. I love each of my sisters and this organization but we really need to socialize more. That makes me kind of sad that my sorority it's making a good name around campus. When other groups have parties they don't want to go because 1 sister (whom the girls follow around like sheep and she's the shepard) doesn't like a particular frat they all do want to go. I work with a girl from another sorority and she doesn't know any of my sisters.

Last winter semester One fraternity held their annual party (and they invite every greek organization and put all their members on a list), where 3 or 4 sisters went to the bar (I went to just to pre-party you know) and at least 4 or 5 other sisters went to the party ( I told them I would meet them over there a little later). I say I was only at the bar for about 20-30 minutes and I went to the party and they we already gone but I stayed there and had a great time. The sisters who left the party went over to another fraternity's house (where no was). The rest of my sisters decided to stay home.

Each sister is required to be in 2 other activities besides the sorority and I'm in more than 2: I'm on Panhellenic, IFC rep for Panhell, student gov., I work, my Marketing group, plus I love to go out.

Is there anything I can do, besides what I'm currently doing such as meeting more people and getting out there doing things?

Annice
Phi Sigma Sigma forever
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-15-2003, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey!

keep doing what you are doing. Even one sister can make a difference.

have you talked to the sisters about this? has it been brought up at a sisterhood or a chapter meeting?
Are there reasons (other than the woman they follow :rooleyes that they aren't comfortable at parties?

Would they prefer going to other events? eg. there was a time my chapter had a lot of sisters who had not interest in partying at all. They would do a philanthropy with a frat. or outings like go-karts or bowling, but attendance at mixers would be dismal.

Are the sisters in the 2 required activities? work counts as one, so it may seem sisters are not active on campus if they are in only one other org. Maybe remind them that the chapter earns extra points through Chapter excellence by having officers in other orgs. - a little incentive can help sometimes.

I know i asked more questions than giving answers, but I just wanted to encourage you to keep doing what you are doing!

LITP
Old 07-15-2003, 12:17 PM

pardon my crash, but I've SO been there

To be blunt, you have to recruit different types of women than what you have now. When I joined my chapter, the majority of the women only liked to hang out with 1 or 2 fraternities, and some wouldn't go to Greek parties at all. We slowly began taking women who were more outgoing and while there was some friction between the two groups, overall it did wonders for us.